Auto-Attach HUD

joniveehernandez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Guys,

Need some suggestions about HUD, I need to create a HUD that will automatically attach when an avatar enters a land and also without asking permission to attach.

The idea came from the Linden Realms Game when I entered the portal a HUD will automatically attach to me. I think it's a Temp HUD it will not store in your inventory.

I tried llAttachToAvatar but when the other avatar tried to attach it, it throws an error to the owner "Script trying to attach to someone other than owner!". But when I tried llAttachToAvatarTemp it works. with the exception that the object will not create new inventory for the user, and will disappear on detach or disconnect.

Thanks!

I'm afraid that the only option open to you is llAttachToAvatarTemp, which will ask for permissions and won't persist in your inventory.

LL have said that they're planning to introduce "experience tools," similar to those used in the Linden Realms, whereby you'll only need to grant permissions once per session to particular groups of objects, but that's in the future and still won't, at least as I understand it, create a permanent inventory item.

"automatically attach when an avatar enters a land"

use a sensor, and have the sensor prim send the temp HUD

"and also without asking permission to attach."

there is no such thing ...permissions are always needed

Thanks for the information guys, so for now we cannot use the features used in Linden Realms Game?

I tried llAttachToAvatarTemp I noticed when using this the drop menu is disabled.

Using sensor is a good idea but what if there are multiple avatars visiting the land where you want to attach the same HUD to every avatar visit the land. I was thinking if replicating the object is possible? so that you only got one object in the land if the object detected an avatar it will ask permission to attach, if the permission is granted the object will duplicate itself to attach it in the avatar.

So really the idea is to distribute the same HUD to all avatars visiting the land.

Of course you do.  One per avatar.  And you always know an av's UUID == llDetectedKey.  You have to be sure that you write your code to prevent the script from handing out more than one HUD per av, naturally.  That's just a matter of storing the UUIDs as you hand out HUDs and checking against that list every time the script detects a new av.

A Little bit confusing to me of how can I hand over the UUID to the rez HUD, I don't know if I'm just making things complicated.

Here's the scenario:

- The avatar collided (example event) with the object.

- The object detected the collision then it will Rez the HUD in its Inventory

- The Rezzed HUD will will ask permission to attach to that avatar.

Question is:

Can the object pass the UUID of the collided avatar to the Rezzed HUD so that the HUD will ask for permission only to that avatar?

So that we can avoid the Rezzed HUD to ask permission to the first random detected avatar.

I did all the steps you mentioned and it works well, there's another 1 more thing I need to do when the avatar already wears the attachment HUD it should not be given again another HUD.

Example if the avatar passes again the object who rezzes HUD the avatar should be check first if the HUD is already attached so that the object will not rez again another HUD for that avatar.

Is that possible to detect the attached HUD?

Thanks!

• 4 years later...

I was using a HUD to rez other HUDs, and it had some of the same issues. So thanks for the comments here. Why use a HUD to rez other huds? To keep the complexity down. If you wish to change things on Avatars, SL often seems to complain that your HUD has too many textures. But if you only have live just what you need.at the moment,. then simpler, faster and fewer complaints from SL. And yes, now it works somewhat. But I found two issues - one of which is solvable and other is solvable in part.

ITEMS YOU REZ ARE VISIBLE - till you attach them. Perhaps this is okay, but I found it annoyng. This was easily fixed by using a loop which looked up and saved alphas of each prim in the object to a list, and then made the alpha's 0 which means it was now invisible and not annoying. Then if the avatar gave permission for attach, then it would read the stored alphas from the list and become visible again. Not much of an issue - at least in my case where each small HUD had only 13 prims.

SOME SIM PLACES DO NOT LET YOU REZ - and so there is that problem. The problem with not being able to directly attach something means it rezzes in someone's sim who may not allow it. Therefore you never get to permissions. But since the goal of my software was to lower complexity, I just keep the smaller specialty HUDs around and can just double click them directly into being a HUD since that is most always allowed. But of course, it stops the clean simplicity of having one HUD bring up others, and also now, you have to look in your inventory. Of course those sims that allow someone to rez but kill the item in a minute or two, will not have a problem. Just those sims who allow nothing at all even for a second.

Hunter Bronet wrote:

Why use a HUD to rez other huds? To keep the complexity down.

Yeah, but rezzing new stuff is complex at every point in the pipeline, then attaching it is another pretty intensive operation. You may be able to defeat the viewer's warnings of attachment texture complexity this way, but at the cost of actual complexity.

If you only need a subset of the functionality, why not only load the relevant textures on HUD prims shown only when you need them? (You may raise complexity some by preloading textures on hidden faces to reduce texture-loading delay, but of course such delay would be magnified by rezzing a whole textured object.)

Also, to reduce actual rendering lag, avoid using alpha-blending. Unless the HUD has to be translucent (not merely locally transparent) alpha-masking renders much faster (and may even cut the viewer's complexity metric, such as it is).

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Rolig,

I notice you know very well about this topic. I have some questions. I don't want to start the same thread. Since there was a discussion here before, I want to continue to get progress and updated.

My friends and I are planing to run an adventure sim. There will be quests to solve. We don't have advance knowledge about scripting or how to create HUD for auto attached HUD and auto teleport in our sim.  We notice Linden Realms Game and we want to have similar system to theirs but different adventure for visitors.

What/who/where do you recommend us to start to find out how to make this HUD or just attachment to allow auto teleport and auto inventory offer from our sim?

Thank you in advance if you have some time to reply

If you want to do something with the feel on Linden Reams, you need to work with the Experience tools.  That's how everything is done in Linden Realms (and in each of the Lab's other themed venues).  Without an Experience, you can't do auto-teleport or any of the smooth auto-attach, auto-animate, auto-whatever effects.  With it, the job is really quite easy.  So that's where you begin.

Well, no.... actually, if you don't really know much about LSL scripting, you start working on the basics first.  Do tutorials, if that's your thing.  Write dozens and dozens of scripts that do everything you can think of.  Get good, working scripts and take them apart to see how they tick.  Having a good goal is a fine motivator, but if you focus on learning how to make a HUD before you have your head around how LSL works, you'll get frustrated.  Or at least, I would.

Thank you for taking time to explain step by step, Rolig. I agree although I think It's going to take quite a while to learn for me and my friends who do not know advance scripting o.O 

The way I learn might be different from others. I am not good at theory or reading. I learn things in SL by checking what others do and following. There are a lot of creative people that do not mind to share their knowledge. Most of their creations are modifyable and I learn from taking a look inside how they do. 

It'd be great if someone creates this HUD or just an attachment to enable auto tp and auto prim attachment. It'd be easy for me to learn from that. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone does it or sell it as creator tools yet :(  If you or anyone knows, please let me know here or IM me in world.

p.s. Rolig is so right about getting frustrated by LSL :D

Yes, it will take time. Aside from the time it takes to get comfortable with LSL itself, Experience tools are still relatively new in SL, so most scripters have not had much practice with them yet.  As you may expect, a lot of scripting that is done for commercial clients is also done under the promise that the scripts will not be shared publicly.  When a client pays for a script that will help to sell a unique product, they don't want to lose their competitive edge by showing the rest of SL how it works.  I always honor a client's wish for exclusive rights to a custom script, so I will not put it in a public library or sell it to another client. Scripters like me will share general insights in forums like this, but you'll see fewer detailed scripts to dissect than you might like.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.