the next big thing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hitomi Tiponi said in other forum that linden are going to announce the The Next Big Thing soon

linden had a big inworld meeting the other day

Damien Fate who has been involved in newbie welcome/orientation islands in the past, made a comment a while ago about the current newbie welcome islands that he helped make. he said then that while he couldnt say there was a Big Thing coming

Tateru Nino on her blog has also just recently mentioned a Big Thing she is involved with. she cant say either

earlier this year linden put a vid up on utube about Experience Permissions showcasing them. Temp Attachments in particular. is pretty cool how it works in the vid

is this the Next Big Thing?

new welcome orientation islands that are fullon experience permissions immersions with proper learning stuffs and tuts?

i hope so

dont know for real. am just guessing

ps

add something else to my conspiracy

has been reports of Linden Homes shortages recently. is also a whole bunch of sims sitting waiting for Moles to put homes on for a while now. if the Moles are not doing that? and new premium accounts (who have actual paid money) are waiting for Homes then what are the Moles doing instead?

like they cant all be on their holidays

I remember a blog post a few years back when they hired a new Promotions manager or something like that. They said she was here to find the next Xfactor for SL

Several years later we havent seen a new xfactor lol I think that's when they thought vampires were gonna be the next big thing

16 wrote:

ps

add something else to my conspiracy

has been reports of Linden Homes shortages recently. is also a whole bunch of sims sitting waiting for Moles to put homes on for a while now. if the Moles are not doing that? and new premium accounts (who have actual paid money) are waiting for Homes then what are the Moles doing instead?

like they cant all be on their holidays

And a curious (?) KB article: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Starter-Home-support/ta-p/1494073

16 wrote:

Hitomi Tiponi said in other forum that linden are going to announce the The Next Big Thing soon

linden had a big inworld meeting the other day

Damien Fate who has been involved in newbie welcome/orientation islands in the past, made a comment a while ago about the current newbie welcome islands that he helped make. he said then that while he couldnt say there was a Big Thing coming

Tateru Nino on her blog has also just recently mentioned a Big Thing she is involved with. she cant say either

earlier this year linden put a vid up on utube about Experience Permissions showcasing them. Temp Attachments in particular. is pretty cool how it works in the vid

is this the Next Big Thing?

new welcome orientation islands that are fullon experience permissions immersions with proper learning stuffs and tuts?

i hope so

dont know for real. am just guessing

The Next Big Thing = Marketplace working perfectly for 24 hrs.

Sy Beck wrote:

The Next Big Thing = Marketplace working perfectly for 24 hrs.

raaaaarrrrr !!!!

this a conspiracy thread !!!

dreaming of a perfect anything is not good for you. you will get some kinda virus. like sniffles. if you think like that. is true !!!

i was reading on arianeb blog. she do quite a lot of research and commentary on 3vws

on a post "3D Virtual Worlds vs. MMORPGs" she said: (have chopped out the bits i think are important)

"I have spent 9 years exploring 3D Virtual Worlds, and 8 years playing MMORPGs.  For the longest time they felt like two different experiences.  3D Virtual Worlds are a creative outlet, while MMORPGs are a mostly cooperative gaming experience.  It seems that recently they have been merging."

"In the last couple of years, the growth in 3D gaming has been in free to play MMORPGs.  Not only do they attract a crowd with new gaming experiences, they have co-opted the social model of the 3D Virtual Worlds, creating central meeting places, and free “bases” you can decorate and host private gatherings.  They also have special interest groups you can join in game to meet like minded people."

"“user created content” is in and of itself the thing that attracts many to 3D Virtual Worlds in the first place."

"content creators are seriously outnumbered by both socializers (especially since most content creators are also socializers), and gamers.  Now that MMORPGs are working to appeal to both of the latter groups, it is only the content creators who feel that 3DVWs are the better way to go.  For everyone else, there is simply more things to do in an MMORPG."

+

this an important conclusion i think

"3D Virtual Worlds are in a slow decline.  It is the competition with free to play MMORPGs that is doing it.  The MMOs are incorporating the stuff that makes 3DVWs popular.  If they are to survive, the 3DVWs need to start incorporating what makes MMOs popular.  They are just starting to do that.  The merging of the two genres seems inevitable."

+

seems like linden has come to the same conclusion. so experience permissions and mmorpgs capability for user/creators

is why i think linden is maybe making a mmorpg-like entrance to SL for newbies. like a showcase of what is possible. which is world viewer educational as well. with quick portal exit outs to normal SL for them that not want to play a mmorpg game to get started

if they arent then i dont know why not. is what i would do anyways if i owned sl

+

can find arianeb here: http://arianeb.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/3d-virtual-worlds-vs-mmorpgs/

is some good stuff on that blog

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

I remember a blog post a few years back when they hired a new Promotions manager or something like that. They said she was here to find the next Xfactor for SL

Several years later we havent seen a new xfactor lol I think that's when they thought vampires were gonna be the next big thing

There's probably a copy of this hanging on the walls of LLs near wherever her cubicle used to be:

x-factor1.png

16 wrote:

i was reading on arianeb blog. she do quite a lot of research and commentary on 3vws

on a post "3D Virtual Worlds vs. MMORPGs" she said: (have chopped out the bits i think are important)

"I have spent 9 years exploring 3D Virtual Worlds, and 8 years playing MMORPGs.  For the longest time they felt like two different experiences.  3D Virtual Worlds are a creative outlet, while MMORPGs are a mostly cooperative gaming experience.  It seems that recently they have been merging."

"In the last couple of years, the growth in 3D gaming has been in free to play MMORPGs.  Not only do they attract a crowd with new gaming experiences, they have co-opted the social model of the 3D Virtual Worlds, creating central meeting places, and free “bases” you can decorate and host private gatherings.  They also have special interest groups you can join in game to meet like minded people."

"“user created content” is in and of itself the thing that attracts many to 3D Virtual Worlds in the first place."

"content creators are seriously outnumbered by both socializers (especially since most content creators are also socializers), and gamers.  Now that MMORPGs are working to appeal to both of the latter groups, it is only the content creators who feel that 3DVWs are the better way to go.  For everyone else, there is simply more things to do in an MMORPG."

+

this an important conclusion i think

"3D Virtual Worlds are in a slow decline.  It is the competition with free to play MMORPGs that is doing it.  The MMOs are incorporating the stuff that makes 3DVWs popular.  If they are to survive, the 3DVWs need to start incorporating what makes MMOs popular.  They are just starting to do that.  The merging of the two genres seems inevitable."

+

seems like linden has come to the same conclusion. so experience permissions and mmorpgs capability for user/creators

is why i think linden is maybe making a mmorpg-like entrance to SL for newbies. like a showcase of what is possible. which is world viewer educational as well. with quick portal exit outs to normal SL for them that not want to play a mmorpg game to get started

if they arent then i dont know why not. is what i would do anyways if i owned sl

+

can find arianeb here:

is some good stuff on that blog

those are some excellent points there.

thanks

16 wrote:

.....this an important conclusion i think

+

I think you could be onto something there, 16.  LL is interested in how to extend and improve the Premium Wilderness sims. Some residents received a survey on this a few weeks ago which asked us about how the Wilderness and general Premium experience could be improved, and what it needed to attract repeat visits. I assume they are still working on those permissions and pathfinding features. Sounds like the moles are all off doing something, anyways.

can see your point

just say that marketing and promotions people draw images of stuff. engineers actual make stuff

+

philip linden wanted to make some kinda zen utopia something something. he didnt really know exactly. neither did we at the time

m linden wanted to make a reallife like connection and relationship. he knew exactly what he wanted to make. it just wasnt what we wanted much at all

rodvik linden wants to make entertainment and he is actual making it now

+

if we dont want rodvik-like entertainment or m-like connections or philip-like utopia then we pretty much stuffed i think. not linden lab, us

is not rodvik who will fail. same like M not fail or philip even. they didnt fail. we give/gave them a Fail rating

if we give rodvik a Fail as well then will be game over. linden will end it i think

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.