Will Second Life still be around 10 years from now?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

will it be around in 10 years?

i doubt it..not a lot of younger people are into it..

when you don't work on areas where new members are important enough to keep..you end up with more quitting over time than stuck around..

you can't use it on any of the pads that a lot of people use today..

10 years from now..

i just don't see the influx happening..

they cater to users with mid range to high end systems..

a lot of people are straying away from computers since they can walk around with the internet in their hands..

the new generation is gonna be about what you can give me when i am anywhere..not what you can give me while i am sitting at my computer..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people say high end computers are going away, but this doesn't appear to be the reality.

Low end computers are giving way to tablets. The people who usually have high end computers are still the people who usually have high end computers because tablets cannot do what high end computers do.

The issue with SL is that LL seems content to rely on people who do not tend to have high end computers, that's how they're losing ground to tablets.

Ironically, SL has built-in appeal to the same people (gamers, artists, enthusiasts, etcetera) who tend to have high end computers, but they've squandred that appeal over the years rather than building upon it.

Penny Patton wrote:

A lot of people say high end computers are going away, but this doesn't appear to be the reality.

Low end computers are giving way to tablets. The people who usually have high end computers are still the people who usually have high end computers because tablets cannot do what high end computers do.

The issue with SL is that LL seems content to rely on people who do not tend to have high end computers, that's how they're losing ground to tablets.

Ironically, SL has built-in appeal to the same people (gamers, artists, enthusiasts, etcetera) who tend to have high end computers, but they've squandred that appeal over the years rather than building upon it.

10 years from now..i doubt you will have to sit at your desk to have high end performance..

you really don't have to now with the laptops they have out..

but i just don't think the young generation of now will be in sl 10 years from now..

the way LL handles it's new members to the grid..i just don't see them having the numbers anyways..

there will be high end systems around because there will always be a demand for more power..

i just don't think it will be spent on SL in 10 years like it is today is all..

10 years is a leap from now..and technology is gonna take a leap..if we could look ten years ahead right now..we would more than likely  be blown away from what will be avalible to us..

there is just too much of a chance that a better bread box comes along in that time..and those that are high end users..they will find it..

it just feels like SL has too much going against it right now to last 10 more years..and LL giving the impression that  they are just gonna ride it out for what it's worth till the day comes that they just shut it down..

it's all just guessing and predictions anyways..a lot could happen in 10 years and they do an about face and peak again as well hehehe

i would hope to be wrong..because i still enjoy it when i can ..very much..and i would hate to see all my things just go blip one day..

i guess we'll find out sooner or later hehehehe

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i would hope to be wrong..because i still enjoy it when i can ..very much..and i would hate to see all my things just go blip one day..

Oh good point.

So when the end of days come in SL how are you all going to feel about losing all the stuff you paid for in SL? How much real money have you spent on SL? Will we not get anything back at all?

Charli Infinity wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Oh good point.

So when the end of days come in SL how are you all going to feel about losing all the stuff you paid for in SL? How much
real money
 have you spent on SL? Will we not get anything back at all?

really if my inventory went away tomorrow i could buy more stuff..

the world is what puts value on all my stuff..

the money i've spent on it and that stuff was well worth it for me..

i sure wouldn't feel like it was a waste of time or money..it's been a lot of great experiences..

i've gotten so much back already that i'm more ahead than breaking even hehehe

• 2 weeks later...

So long as it's financially viable to keep SL running I see no reason why it shouldn't keep on going indefinitely. Look at Active Worlds [or not as the case might be]. It's older and fuglier than SL and still chugging along. It would be nice if LL were to address the tech issues that have been building up over thears but I don't see that being as much of a dealbreaker as being able to keep with the eye-candy appearance of modern professionally-created games as well as keeping a professional tech support / help staff online and in-world. I really miss the old days when you could bump into Lindens at welcome areas, clubs or events and chat about random stuff.

Charli Infinity wrote:

Oh good point.

So when the end of days come in SL how are you all going to feel about losing all the stuff you paid for in SL? How much
real money
 have you spent on SL? Will we not get anything back at all?

Ceka already answered the question but I'll chime in anyway.

Everyone gets something different from Second Life. There are people who are here to exercise their creative juices and even people that are really only here because it provides a source of income. I'd suspect those people would be upset at losing inventory if SL shut down, but I have no way of knowing.

What I get, and what most of the people I know get and from all appearances what Ceka gets is the experience. The pleasure of being here. And not just or even mainly the solo experiences although those are great. A pretty smart lady I know said that Second Life is a wonderful place to share experiences. Some are ridiculous, some are sublime. Many swing quickly back and forth.

That is what I would miss if SL folded. My inventory is just stuff I bought (and a few things I made, none of which have any utility outside of Second Life) to make my experiences more fun.

edited for spelling

• 3 weeks later...

If SL went poof I'd probably be upset at the investment I've made so far, the friends I've made, the ideas and places I've run into.

But then I'd turn around and find something else to spend my creativity and discretionary cash on. 

Virtual 'stuff' is not much different from physical 'stuff'.  Sometimes it goes away, and/or you replace it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.