Suggestions, Mesh viewing issues. (not a call girl)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I have been having some issues with mesh for a while, in that when I am in a place with a few avatars (not overly crowded mind you and even over crowded, if you dig.?.)  90% of the worn mesh of other people is not shown and will not load. Occasionally I can erelong and will see it ok, but this is indeed an issue I'd rather not have to keep relogging.

My specs if it helps, and I just updated the drivers to newest, it happens on old and new drivers.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3392.4 MHz)
Memory: 16333 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2      (driver version 9.18.13.3489)

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.3489
OpenGL Version: 4.4.0

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1e zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.10.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.18
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 416
Bandwidth: 1000
LOD factor: 14
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/4,831 (0.0%)

I am really loosing interest in SL fast on accoun of I am about tired of seeing dancing torsos, or avatars who are 90% mesh just being weird. My pictures I snap in SL can be very weird.

any suggestion appreciated. (I use firestorm if you didnt see that in specs)

Draw distance is way to high, set to 50-90 for scenes to rez quicker. LOD 14?...umm...someone more techy will comment , I thought it can only max at 4. gt630 isn`t a good graphics card for sl but I do ok on a 650 have issues on some busy sims(like 60+ av`s) with mesh refusing to load. Other sims are better, don`t give up

LOD factor 14 may be an issue.  The default LOD factor is never over 2, even when on "ultra" graphics.  I cant even get it set to higher than 4 using the FS sliders.  If I understand LOD factor, setting it so high will make your machine work a *lot* harder.  Enough to explain your problems?  dunno. 

Tarina Sewell wrote:

Graphics Card: GeForce GT 630

Ya, there's your problem, as already mentioned by others. The solution presents itself:

- upgrade your not-too-well GPU to a GTX. Try to locate a GTX 660, as the 60 series is always Nvidia's best bang for buck

- turn DD down to 96 for clubbing/shopping, 128 for daily life, 256 for exploring

- set LOD to 2, max 4

You may crank it all up for photos. I sometimes set my DD to 1024 and have to live with 3 - 5 fps for the little while.

You're not the only one.  This is how most people looked when I visited a busy region yesterday.

badmesh.png

Graphics on ultra.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (3201.99 MHz)
Memory: 16328 MB
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 680/PCIe/SSE2

Orca Flotta wrote:

Tarina Sewell wrote:

Graphics Card: GeForce GT 630

Ya, there's your problem, as already mentioned by others. The solution presents itself:

- upgrade your not-too-well GPU to a GTX. Try to locate a GTX 660, as the 60 series is always Nvidia's best bang for buck

- turn DD down to 96 for clubbing/shopping, 128 for daily life, 256 for exploring

- set LOD to 2, max 4

You may crank it all up for photos. I sometimes set my DD to 1024 and have to live with 3 - 5 fps for the little while.

Honestly, this LOD factor or draw distance is not the issue.  It was suggested to me to use that. It make no difference if it is 4 10 or 20.  My DD is not that high all the time, even at 96 I still wont load mesh. I should have included this info.

But, I might take a look at a new vc. would suck if I upgraded and same shift different card tho.  ; )

Sassy Romano wrote:

You're not the only one.  This is how most people looked when I visited a busy region yesterday.

Graphics on ultra.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (3201.99 MHz)

Memory: 16328 MB

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 680/PCIe/SSE2

Oh Exactly what I see..

Firestorm pops a dialog saying that MeshMaxConcurrentRequests should be lower than 33.

Reason: Setting this value too high will make it less likely that mesh objects will load correctly and cause performance degredation for you and others in the same region.

Thanks. Not an effect that has been noticed on my non-Firestorm viewer. Results will vary, etc.

As with all changes to Debug Settings, start with caution (make sure you're not damaging your PC or unfairly affecting your local network or SL infrastructure), and then move to experiment. Move values around until they are at their optimum for your experience.

Don't take any advice as a quick fix when it comes to optimisation. :P

Sassy Romano wrote:

Firestorm pops a dialog saying that MeshMaxConcurrentRequests should be lower than 33.

Reason: Setting this value too high will make it less likely that mesh objects will load correctly and cause performance degredation for you and others in the same region.

Reason is if the Server gets too many requests it treats it as a flood and stops answering the requests.

As I recall one of the Lindens said they might have to hard code a lower limit into the viewer.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Or maybe just allow say 6 avatars in a region...
;)

More than two women and I tend to go into sensory overload.  ;)

But in case anyone misunderstood, the time out is only for the individual making the requests.

When I first rezzed into SL last night, for the first time in a loooong time (including dating back to when I still had my old PC that didn't see mesh), the clothes on my avatar (non-mesh) were gray for quite awhile and this was on my own parcel, 4000m up, with one other person on the entire sim.  I tried Edit Appearance; didn't work...I gradually came back to normal.

I'm wondering if something was up yesterday.

(Doesn't address the OP's issue...just saw your response, Sassy, and being gray last night.)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Tarina Sewell wrote:

But, I might take a look at a new vc. would suck if I upgraded and same shift different card tho.  ; )

I have the GTX 660 that Orca suggested and have been very happy with it.
:)

I did read some reviewes on it and I actually bought one today... (will be here tomorrow, I have this problem with waiting so got it overnighted lol) so... we shall see said the blind man.  Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions, hopefully this makes enuff of a difference I wont be freakin out at the cost of the VC..... 219.00.. (plus tax and shipping) which I suppose isnt too bad for a vc for what it does..  Luckly I have a power supply that can handle it.. (I hope)

*** edited - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Signature 2 02G-P4-2661-KR Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 1x Dual-link DVI-D, 1x Dual-link DVI-I, 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, SLI Ready, Dual-Slot..

so...

Tarina Sewell wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Tarina Sewell wrote:

I have the GTX 660 that Orca suggested and have been very happy with it.
:)

I did read some reviewes on it and I actually bought one today... (will be here tomorrow, I have this problem with waiting so got it overnighted lol) so... we shall see said the blind man.  Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions, hopefully this makes enuff of a difference I wont be freakin out at the cost of the VC..... 219.00.. (plus tax and shipping) which I suppose isnt too bad for a vc for what it does..  Luckly I have a power supply that can handle it.. (I hope)

*** edited - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Signature 2 02G-P4-2661-KR Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16), 1x Dual-link DVI-D, 1x Dual-link DVI-I, 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, SLI Ready, Dual-Slot..

so...

Congrats!!!

I upgraded my PSU from what came standard in my PC (585W) to a 600W (Corsair 80+ Bronze).  All works together well. :)

ETA:  The fans in my PC are extremely quiet; in fact the entire PC is practically silent.  My old PC was akin to starting up an old lawn mower, sound-wise.  :smileyvery-happy:

To be honest Tarina comp specs is not THE major factor with displaying mesh as Sassy demonstrated, but the fact you were having probs on lowly populated sims suggests there was a problem somewhere. Anyhow your new card is going to give you a major boost.

MeshMaxConcurrentRequests, or the abuse of, was commented on by Monty Linden here ( http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/avi-dosn-t-load-correctly/m-p/2138883#M20721 )

This is mostly superflous now as sl viewer, coolviewer, hopefully next firestorm release too are/will be using getmesh2, discussed here ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/w/index.php?title=Beta_Server_Office_Hours/Minutes/2013-09-05 )

This whole mesh not downloading fully P`s me off too, to the extent that I`ve tried all the viewers going including the RC candidates. I test at the daily meshfest that is big daddys nightclub (would love to hear from anyone who gets all the av`s to fully render there in less than 5 minutes) haven`t found a viewer yet that fully loads every av quickly there. Coolviewer and the latest rc candidate probly have the edge.

Personally I think the growth of mesh has exceeded LL`s abilities to deliver it to our viewers on busy/mesh heavy sims. Hopefully that`ll get better over time.

SaraCarena wrote:

To be honest Tarina comp specs is not THE major factor with displaying mesh as Sassy demonstrated, but the fact you were having probs on lowly populated sims suggests there was a problem somewhere. Anyhow your new card is going to give you a major boost.

MeshMaxConcurrentRequests, or the abuse of, was commented on by Monty Linden here (
)

This is mostly superflous now as sl viewer, coolviewer, hopefully next firestorm release too are/will be using getmesh2, discussed here (
)

This whole mesh not downloading fully P`s me off too, to the extent that I`ve tried all the viewers going including the RC candidates. I test at the daily meshfest that is big daddys nightclub (would love to hear from anyone who gets all the av`s to fully render there in less than 5 minutes) haven`t found a viewer yet that fully loads every av quickly there. Coolviewer and the latest rc candidate probly have the edge.

Personally I think the growth of mesh has exceeded LL`s abilities to deliver it to our viewers on busy/mesh heavy sims. Hopefully that`ll get better over time.

Thank you

I Installed the card..  Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2

So far I have noticed an improvement. However I am still seeing alpha mask on transparent system hair through flexi, mesh or prim or sculpted hair.

Snapshot_002.JPG

Of course when I disable atmospheric shaders it is not showing.. but my world looks boring.

I`ve seen that effect on old shoes but only been active in sl for 10 months so can`t explain it, I don`t use head alphas. Why nerf your settings with such a good card? I mostly use these settings day to day without a problem on my crappy 630.prefs.jpg

Crappy 650, meant to say

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Check Advanced > Show Debug Settings for value:
MeshMaxConcurrentRequests. 
Set to
or above if low.

That's advice I use to give and even blogged about.

Its flat out wrong.

You need it above zero, but also very low.

MeshMaxConcurrentRequests - I recommend 1, 4, 8, and risking 16 on a test.

My updated blog on this topic:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/meshmaxconcurrentrequests-texturefetchconcurrency-http-textures-texture-thrashing-and-why-isnt-my-stuff-rezzing-yet/

TextureFetchConcurrency - likewise, 1, 2, 4, or 8. No higher. But not 0 where it often defaults.

Lastly if on a Mac, a person also needs to adjust RenderTextureMemoryMultiple to 1.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Check Advanced > Show Debug Settings for value:
MeshMaxConcurrentRequests. 
Set to
or above if low.

That's advice I use to give and even blogged about.

Its flat out wrong.

You need it above zero, but also very low.

MeshMaxConcurrentRequests
- I recommend 1, 4, 8, and risking 16 on a test.

My updated blog on this topic:

TextureFetchConcurrency
 - likewise, 1, 2, 4, or 8. No higher. But not 0 where it often defaults.

Lastly if on a Mac, a person also needs to adjust 
RenderTextureMemoryMultiple
to 1.

ah ok, I was at 16 (yikes) and 0 .. I change now

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.