Fix the "system is logging you out issue"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This annoying as heck issue has gone on for years. and often causes many people who have crashed or frozen to not log back in or attempt to log back in really frustrating when you crash or freeze and need to log back in as soon as you can to have this message pop up and often times you have to keep waiting.

Please fix this issue.   as oh so many other issues in second life that LL still refuses to do anything about.  Thank you.

GreyMornes wrote:

This annoying as heck issue has gone on for years. and often causes many people who have crashed or frozen to not log back in or attempt to log back in really frustrating when you crash or freeze and need to log back in as soon as you can to have this message pop up and often times you have to keep waiting.

Please fix this issue.   as oh so many other issues in second life that LL still refuses to do anything about.  Thank you.

Crashes suck.

Crashes are frustrating.

I don't know anyone who likes crashing.

But on relogging it kind of has to be that way.

When you crash the Servers don't get a signal to log you out.

The first indication they get is when you try to log back in.  So then the Servers have to clear your "presence" before you can log back in.

Now after a while if you don't try to log back in the Servers do figure it out.  They finally say 'we are not getting any responses.'  But there has to be a delay because if everytime your Internet blinked you had to relog you'd be even more frustrated than you are now. So there is a little bit of a catch 22 there.

when you relog and choose another location it's often quicker than on same where you crashed.

Next to that it can be a sim crash too... in that case you will get a huge delay because the viewer wants to rezz you on a sim that's not available. It will refuse to log in or transfer your av to a hub. BTW ...what are you wearing... i mean scripts, huds, hair with resizers..shoes...jewerly ?... might be causing crashes too..

While that is true, making such a process manual is important to mitigate against trying to brute force the process. Even though a software delay count be put in, by the same token, a malicious (optimistic?) Viewer could leave it out.

Trying to enforce a delay server side would not prevent repeated and rapid authentication requests, thus the most effective way is to require a manual process.

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

eh, the client could wait a few seconds and it a second try, since the user is gong to do that anyway.

I thought about that also.  I'd guess that could possibly be programmed into the Viewer.  But I'm wondering if all the various processes that run at log in might make that complicated.  You're connecting to a specific region, you're connecting to asset servers, you're connecting to chat servers, etc, etc.  That could make things even more prone to error. 

And will people be any more or less patient if the Log In appeared to be taking forever or they got a message that said, "this may take a minute."  Some of the lack of patience is a matter of perception which is why I posted a general description of what is going on.

I'm just speculating here but overall the best action to ensure everything runs smoothly after a crash like this may be the fresh Log In we are promted to do.

GreyMornes wrote:

Please fix this issue.   as oh so many other issues in second life that
LL still refuses to do anything about
.  Thank you.

Every week attempts to fix things are made, new code is rolled out, new features are sometimes added, and often things go out of kilter.

Its very hard to modify a running program, and at one time Second Life main grid would be inaccessible for many hours at a time while the back room boys and girls went about fixing things.

The "system is logging you out" issue is not actually an issue, and certainly has been fixed to how it was several years ago when quite often the system would fail to log an avatar out completely and they would be left with a stuck presence lasting hours/days/ - sometimes even weeks.

There is a lot of information carried per avatar, a lot of which is user-created stuff. How is Linden Lab expected to keep on top of that?  They do try, but really, if you are continually having a "system is logging you out" kind of issue, then, as many of us do not, you do need to be looking at helping yourself a bit too; as has already been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, scripts, resizers, HUDs, all can cause conflicts.

And just be a bit more grateful for what we have - it ain't that bad actually!

There was a discussion about why we had to log out and close and re-open the viewer, why is there no "log in" box without having to completely restart the viewer?

I recall the answer referring to awful initialisation code that would be an utter mess to unpick in order to restart a session without completely restarting the viewer.

Sassy Romano wrote:

There was a discussion about why we had to log out and close and re-open the viewer, why is there no "log in" box without having to completely restart the viewer?

I recall the answer referring to awful initialisation code that would be an utter mess to unpick in order to restart a session without completely restarting the viewer.

We sometimes use the word "Crash" as a catch all for different potential things.

If a SIM suddeny goes off line that is different then when I run out of texture memory and my Client 'stops responding.'

If something has gone wrong in the Client (the Viewer) then of course it would need restarted.  But that is really true of any program if I want to continue with full functionality. 

I don't know who used the word 'awful' to describe it but yes, it perhaps says it more concisely than I did when it's stated picking through "initialisation code that would be an utter mess."  Hence the need to relog and have  a fresh new start. 

eta:clarity

Patience has a lot to do with whether this is an issue or not, too. Patience and possibly experience. I've gotten so snarled so often in so many not-quite-error-corrected-properly pieces of code that I've developed habits. When something goes wrong for a non-obvious reason, I routinely shut down and start over.

Right from probably my very first crash, I automatically shut down the viewer. A lot of times I'll stop and go refill my beverage or something before starting back in, just to give the electrons time to settle out. As a result, I've never seen the message the OP talks about and I had to read a few posts to know what was meant.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.