Four in one

Muletta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I thought I would safe some forum space, and put four questions in the same thread. Hope it is okay :matte-motes-smile:

1.  How do I put a picture from the Internet into a thread? Do I have to upload to Flickr first, or is there an easier way to do it directly?

2.  What exactly are gacha-stuff? I have seen such things, and googled and looked in my dictionary, but I cannot find an (to me understandable) explanation of the word anywhere.

3.  How is it possible to edit one’s post in forum, by making a line over a word, so the word still can be read, but obviously now looks like it is replaced with another word?

4.  What are props? Again, I have googled and looked in my dictionary…with no luck.

Thanks for help and explanations in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much Madelaine...2 down, and 2 to go :)

I can upload a picture, and overstrike text now..Great! We can remove Q 1 and 3 from my post.

The prop-question: well, I have seen the word often, mentioned together with poses/poseballs/animations here in SL forum, and have seen the word in the menu, in some of my furniture...but I do not know what it means.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for the explanations. 3 down, and only 1 to go.

Oh, yes, that sound of the nob, and the excitement when the small gacha-thing suddenly landed in the hand…what could it be, this time? - Now when I know, what gachas are, I can see I have had quite a lot of them myself, without knowing they were gachas. 

To Lindal: I wonder why I have never seen this little icon before, because I know how to use the underline, the bold, the Italic, so I should have noticed the strikethruuu  strikethrough too. :matte-motes-grin:

I saw the “prop-word” again today, in another thread. Rug and props . Props have something to do with animations, I am almost sure…but what they are exactly, is still a mystery to me.

4 answers to this question

Well Hello, Muletta!

You're absolutely allowed to ask four questions in one go.

1. You can't directly post a web-linked picture in a thread, it's got to first be uploaded into either your public or private image collection. So, if you see a picture on the web you want to post in a thread, you'll have to right-click and "Save" it to your computer. Then compose your post and click that little moonlit landscape icon at the top of the edit window. You'll get a dialog box where you specify where to find the image you want to use. It can be one already uploaded into your collection, or one on your computer. There's a tab for each method and the default is "From My Computer". That tab has a "Choose File" button that will launch your computer's standard file finding dialog. You'll also see two radio buttons that allow you to specify whether the image should be saved to your public or private collection. The default is public. Once the file finder window is open, you locate the image you downloaded from the web and select it. If it's small enough (under 1MB) it'll upload and you'll see it in your post window.

If you want to repost the same image in the future, you can select it "From My Uploaded Images" at the time you post, though if you upload a lot of photos, they'll be tedious to find.

2). I have no idea. Gacha (Gotcha) is what someone says when we're playing tag, and I can't outrun them.

3). To overstrike text, select it and then click the S icon in the edit window toolbar. It's just to the left of the emoji icon.

4). I know of several definitions for props...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prop

In the context of SL, you may be wanting the second definition on that page. I sometimes wander SL with a propane torch in my hand. That's a prop to support the storyline that I like to set things on fire, particularly my friends.

There's another uncommonly used meaning for props (it's in the link above)... to give credit or moral support. As in "I give Rolig props for keeping calm when Maddy burned down her latest build." I might not give you props for getting tangled up in your balloon strings, though I do enjoy looking at your badge.

;-).

ETA: Okay, now that I have more context for #4, my initial guess was correct. Props are objects that support the storyline. If you've selected a "reading a book" pose, you'd want a book in your hand to make it look right. The book is a "prop". Many animated things provide props like books, buckets of popcorn, martini glasses, etc.

Here's more about props...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MLPV2_Users_Tutorial#Props

So now we're down to Gacha, #2. A quick Google shows that it's a popular Japanese social game. Pachinko was the game of choice when I visited Japan 30 years ago. It seems that Gacha machines are like the "gumball" machines of my youth. Some of those machines dispensed tiny plastic containers with even tinier trinkets inside, like a pretend diamond ring or a little squishy monster (my favorites!).

You probably saw "gacha" in Val's thread, where she said she's made a "gacha store". I'm going to guess that "gacha store" is like an American "yard sale", in which people sell stuff they no longer want. If you were an enthusiastic Gacha game player, you probably had tons of tiny trinkets that came from the machine and you're now trying to claw your way out of a home that's buried in them. So, you put them out on the lawn with a "Gacha sale!" sign, and hope someone takes it off your hands.

• Like 2

A "gacha" (word borrowed from Japanese) is a small, randomly-given item, usually low cost or free in environments like SL. It's like the little trinkets that you can get in RL from some dispensers at gas stations or in malls.  You drop in a coin, turn the knob, and get some random toy from the dispenser.  You don't know what you'll get, but it will be fun.  In SL, you can find gachas in many Marketplace stores or in world.

• Like 2

I know #3!

Type your text.  Highlight the text you want to be "crossed out."  Go to the upper left of the Post Answer window (where you are typing stuff.)  There are some special effects choices...B for Bold, I for Italics, U for Underline, and S for Strikethrough.  Choose S.  That's it!

EDIT:  Awww...on re-reading the thread I see Maddy beat me to it.  Drat.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.