How to fix it so that my avatar is not a jelly doll?

benjaminblue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I fixed the complex to unlimited. im not wearing much on my avatar and had been gone some time so my avatar not changed at all. but when i came back and the update viewer happen now some people see me as green doll. i dont know why but i fixed what it said and still nothing f.or some reason some dont see me like normal any ideas how to figure this out and fix it so all see me not a green thing?

also could it be their pc as well because most people who are around me use the 64 bit viewer for firestorm and cant but same time my mommy can see me just fine on her pc.

5 answers to this question

It's surprising how some simple things can increase your complexity. Sometimes simple jewellery can make it skyrocket. If you can't do anything about that, then the people around you need to increase the complexity tolerance setting in their viewer programs.

Hi Benjamin,

You're not being seen by others because your Avarar Rendering Complexity (ARC) is above the threshold they set in their viewers. The only way to reduce your ARC is to simplify your avatar. Attachments and mesh avatar skins are what's elevating your score, so start removing attachments while observing your ARC. You should be able to identify those items having the greatest impact and either do without them or find less complex alternatives. You can see your ARC above your avatar in real-time by enabling it in the Advanced menu under Performance Tools->Show avatar complexity information. Your ARC will also display temporarily every time you change your avatar, so it's really not necessary to enable it permanently.

You can set your own threshold for seeing others by adjusting the "Avatar Maximum Complexity" slider in Preferences->Graphics. The default is 80000, which is below the ARC of your, and many other avatars. In my own case, my hair is responsible for 65% of my ARC, and I'll be searching for a new hairstyle as a result. It appears you've set your limit to the maximum, so you'll see everybody else, but it's their settings that decide whether they can see you. It's unreasonable to expect everyone else to up their threshold for you, so you'll have to make the changes to your avatar to get below 80,000.

Here's more about ARC...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Avatar_Rendering_Complexity

Good luck!

• Like 3

Not sure if I have much to add to Madelaine's answer but I'll try anyway.

The "jellybaby" feature was introduced a while ago on the official viwer and recently on Firestorm as a way to automatically derender the laggiest avatars. High ARC avatars is by far the biggest cause of lag in Second Life and it was getting so bad that Linden Lab eventually was forced to do something about it.

It is hard to say what the "safe" ARC level is, it depends both on your computer and on the number of avatars int he vicinity. As Alwin said, most computers are able to handle a single 100,000 - and even 150,000 ARC avatar with no problem but a dance floor full of such avatars can be enough to cause problems even for the strongest game computer.

It isn't really that difficult to put together a gorgeous looking avatar with an ARC well below 80,000 .... ummmm.... I mean, it shouldn't be difficult. Unfortunately there has been very little info about it and only a few "eco concious" SL'ers cared about avatar lag until this new feature suddenly dropped onto our heads. The result is that much of the items we wear are very wasteful with render weight and it is hard to find good info about the quality of specific items. Only real solution is to waer them and watch what happens.

You may beable to pick up a few tips here:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/The-80-000-Challenge/td-p/3031467

and - if you are very tech inded, here:

http://pennycow.blogspot.no/2015/02/draw-weight.html

• Like 1

In addition to the advice already given, what your friends can also do is right click your avatar & choose to always render you fully. This way they don't have to raise their max complexity slider.

On the LL viewer, right click the JellyDoll avatar -> Render Fully.

On Firestorm viewer, if using the right click context menu: right click the JellyDoll avatar -> Render Fully.

On Firestorm, if using the pie menu: right click the JellyDoll avatar -> More -> More -> Render -> Fully.

On the LL viewer, if you have chosen to render an avatar fully here, that will reset on relog.

On Firestorm viewer, choosing to fully render an avatar in this way will persist between sessions so your friends on Firestorm will only need to set this once for your avatar.

On the next release of Firestorm, we will actually have a new floater you can bring up from World -> Avatar Render Settings that lists all avatars you have chosen to render fully or never render & you can manage your render settings for the avatars from the list: http://prnt.sc/c97mw4

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.