problems with mesh clothes

74Theo74

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all,

im using phoenix 1.6.1.1691

iam having problems with some mesh clothes..mainly trousers/pants/shorts for some reason i cant see  my knees..anybody know if i need to eneable a setting or something else to fix this?

Thanx

First, Check to be sure your using the latest Phoenix Viewer

Second, be sure that you have Basic Shaders and Hardware Skinning in enabled in Preferences>Graphics or the mesh may not be rendering properly.

Third, If you are wearing an alpha layer with the shorts, and it is modifiable, go to edit appearnace and shorten the length. If the alpha layer is not modifiable, the creator may be able to help.  If not, there are alpha layer packs that are moifiable on the Marketplace.  One is example I found after a quick seach is here.but there may be others.

Is there a way to edit alpha layers in world?  When I go to edit an alpha layer, I only see the option to replace the texture for the top, bottom, head, etc, with entirely new masks.  Now these masks are not all that hard to make and import using PS or the Gimp or even Paintshop, but it would be nice to be able to tweek them inworld. Could you give a bit more detail on how to "shorten the lenght" of an alpha layer using edit appearance?

In the LL and FS viewers for sure, but I think any of the other mesh enabled viewers, you can wear several alpha layers at the same time, just like you can wear several tattoo layers, or several underwear or other clothing layers.  Just choose to "add" them to the current outfit, not "wear".

Ian Undercroft wrote:

The problem with mesh clothing is that, in effect, it alters your body shape. Mesh shoes and boots are great, but, having given mesh clothes a try, I'm now steering clear. 

This ^ 

eta- Until everyone can see mesh, I'd stear clear anyways. The friend I'm most often with gets a kick out of all the naked females wandering sl now. :smileysurprised:

Rhys Goode wrote:

Is there a way to edit alpha layers in world?  When I go to edit an alpha layer, I only see the option to replace the texture for the top, bottom, head, etc, with entirely new masks.  Now these masks are not all that hard to make and import using PS or the Gimp or even Paintshop, but it would be nice to be able to tweek them inworld. Could you give a bit more detail on how to "shorten the lenght" of an alpha layer using edit appearance?

She was mistaken. There *is* no way to shorten, lengthen, or make any adjustment at all to an alpha layer except color tint. Replacing the alpha mask texture is the only way to change what areas on the AV it covers and doesn't cover.

My experience is that I get the best result making my own alpha layers because they are optimized for my body.  I also find that they need little or not tweaking to work with different clothing.  That makes sense because my shape always differs from average, or from standard sizes, in the same way.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks, Rhys, for the suggestion to "add" mesh clothing rather than wear! You've saved me (and probably most of SL) the heartbreak of mesh!  Now, if the designers of shapes will loosen up and make their products modifiable, things will improve.  I've never understood no mod unless to do so would destroy the object.  Also, designers who put non-mod sculpty objects in their fashions and outfits aren't very smart ... I'll never buy from that designer again .. the same for hats and any other sculpty/mesh object!  Shapes in SL are too diverse for such stupidity!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.