Customer charged for something that wasn't ordered

Luana Juliesse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Weirdest thing that happened to me. Someone complained today that was charged for a product that she didn't order from my store. The product was gifted to another resident, i received the lindens, everything looks correct, only that the customer claims she didn't order it. She filled a ticket but LL can't help. 

I don't see how this can happen.  To send a gift, one has to first select the item, key in the persons name to whom the gift is supposed to be delivered, and then go through all the checkout procedures.  This is probably a way for her to try to get something for free.  Claiming "I didn't order this, key in anybody's name and shouldn't have to pay for this!"  Doesn't wash in an online system.  

People will try ANYTHING to get something for free, Miss Luana.  I've worked in retail as a manager for the past 15 years and I can tell you, I've heard some doozies from people!  

If I were you, I'd ask her to send me her transaction information.  You can see that she actually DID order it (and send it as a gift this way) and then tell her to go jump off a cliff.  

Unless you just don't mind giving away your products for free, then refund her.  But that just opens the door for her to do it again to someone else (cause now it worked once).

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

I don't see how this can happen.  To send a gift, one has to first select the item, key in the persons name to whom the gift is supposed to be delivered, and then go through all the checkout procedures.  This is probably a way for her to try to get something for free.  Claiming "I didn't order this, key in anybody's name and shouldn't have to pay for this!"  Doesn't wash in an online system.  

People will try ANYTHING to get something for free, Miss Luana.  I've worked in retail as a manager for the past 15 years and I can tell you, I've heard some doozies from people!  

If I were you, I'd ask her to send me her transaction information.  You can see that she actually DID order it (and send it as a gift this way) and then tell her to go jump off a cliff.  

Unless you just don't mind giving away your products for free, then refund her.  But that just opens the door for her to do it again to someone else (cause now it worked once).

Or maybe it's worked before .. and Luana is just the latest "target"? Just sayin' ... LOL

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

I don't see how this can happen.  To send a gift, one has to first select the item, key in the persons name to whom the gift is supposed to be delivered, and then go through all the checkout procedures.

Well...at the moment, as far as i'm concerned, all bets are off as to what does and doesn't happen on MP.

You'd think that a redelivery of a gift would have the coder REALISING that it's the RECIPIENT that is the subject of the inventory offer and NOT the BUYER.  But no, it's not that way at all.

At present, with all the cross linking that's going on, i'm prepared to accept any amount of dysfunctional behaviour.

(I would ask to see the transaction history though but once again, since there is an escrow account in the middle, the nature of the transaction is intrinsically broken since you don't see all parts of it).

Sassy Romano wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

I don't see how this can happen.  To send a gift, one has to first select the item, key in the persons name to whom the gift is supposed to be delivered, and then go through all the checkout procedures.

Well...at the moment, as far as i'm concerned, all bets are off as to what does and doesn't happen on MP.

You'd think that a redelivery of a gift would have the coder REALISING that it's the RECIPIENT that is the subject of the inventory offer and NOT the BUYER.  But no, it's not that way at all.

At present, with all the cross linking that's going on, i'm prepared to accept any amount of dysfunctional behaviour.

(I would ask to see the transaction history though but once again, since there is an escrow account in the middle, the nature of the transaction is intrinsically broken since you don't see all parts of it).

I certainly do agree about the gift redeliveries.  That's just ridiculous.  

Even with all the cross linking going on, I would be skeptical has heck about this one.  There's too much of a process to go through to make that kind of transaction work for it to just happen on its own.  How would the system decide on the person to receive the gift?  Just randomly from the purchasers friends list?  

Maybe working face to face with the public for so long has made me overly suspicious of everybody, but, in this case, I think she's trying to pull one over on Miss Luana.  Maybe she's realized that her tiers are due and because of this purchase she can't afford them.  Maybe she found a dress she likes and thinks she can get her money back on this one so she can get it too.  There's a million "maybe's" you know.  In any case, I would make her prove to me, without a shadow of a doubt that she "didn't order" the gift which I don't think she can.  

This is what she sent to me:

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your recent purchase. Please find your purchase details below:

Order number: 1291657551
Purchased using: L$

Item: *Milady's* -Happy Ending- Married Men's Necklace
Quantity: 1
Price: L$200
Delivery Folder: Received Items
Purchased as a Gift for: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Item: [s.K.] Soken Kids Ao
Quantity: 1
Price: L$1
Delivery Folder: Objects

Total Payment: L$201
Thank you for using the Second Life Marketplace

I also IM'd the recipient..  waiting for him to answer. Maybe he can solve the mistery. LOL 

>So not only did she key in his name for the necklace to go, she ALSO keyed in a little "love uuu xoxoxox" message.  And she still wants you to think she "didn't order" it??

Maybe a completely different customer ordered a completely different item from a comepletely different merchant, and the SLM just doesn't know the difference between such things anymore.

I think I heard something about something being borked this week.

Did you?

I once had a mouse that had a tendency to double click when i just wanted a single click. It managed to cancel an item i had just bought by immediately clicking a "no not accept" button that appeared under a "you have paid X, confirm" button.

Needless to say i changed my mouse pretty quickly after that, but it does illustrate that it is possible to make mistakes.

Still, sometimes we just have to live and learn with these things.

Josh Susanto wrote:

>
So not only did she key in his name for the necklace to go, she ALSO keyed in a little "love uuu xoxoxox" message.  And she still wants you to think she "didn't order" it??

Maybe a completely different customer ordered a completely different item from a comepletely different merchant, and the SLM just doesn't know the difference between such things anymore.

I think I heard something about something being borked this week.

Did you?

Yep, if the marketplace is currently confusing items and listings and prices and perms and categories, why shouldn't it also confuse purchasers of items as well... since we are not being informed of what the problems are or whether they even know what the problems are, who actually knows whether this is a legit complaint or someone trying to get something for free?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.