Since our bodies are mesh, why dont ll just improve it a bit so we dont need the new mesh bodies?

aristoteles Himanez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I ve heard that our bodies in sl are mesh. Din't know that..Is it true? In this case, why dont ll just improve it a bit? I mean they are really terible in design and the ones that made them should be a bit ashamed.

Instead of ll doing something about it, I see that there are mesh bodies in the market, which of course have the problem that cannot be modified in the head. Do ll think of doing something about these terible bodies they created in the first place?

7 answers to this question

Highly unlikely, especially now that creators can make their own mesh avatars.  We have been complaining about the avatar mesh in SL since Day One.  Everyone agrees that it was a bad design.  At this point, however, there are hundreds of thousands of us running around with avatars based on that mesh, and there is a decade's worth of merchandise (clothing, skins, shapes, ....) that was created for that mesh.  If Linden Lab suddenly changed the basic avatar mesh now, for example, I would have to completely redraw and upload every dress and blouse in my shop --- at great expense and with a huge loss of time --- and I'm a small shop owner.   The upheaval would be just as bad for consumers, since they would suddenly find that there's almost no clothing made for their new mesh bodies.  (EDIT: Incidentally, that's why I suspect it will be a long time before customized mesh avatars will be much more than a niche market too. Customized mesh avatars need customized clothes, and there's not much of it for any specific avatar.  That's a good discussion for the General Discussion forum, though, not Answers. :smileywink: ) The bottom line >>> We all agree that the basic avatar mesh was a bad design from the start, but don't expect it to change now.

• Like 1

aristoteles Himanez wrote:

I ve heard that our bodies in sl are mesh. Din't know that..Is it true? In this case, why dont ll just improve it a bit? I mean they are really terible in design and the ones that made them should be a bit ashamed.

Because it's not within the realm of Linden Research's scope to really provide content.  That's up to you.  Resident creativity is a big part of the Second Life experience.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.