How can another Avatar crash my viewer so that it looks like it just turned off?

JoshuaGrey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been getting crashed by a greiffer, and I don't understand how to find what is doing it or report this person at all. I was crashed repeatedly last night, and I couldn't even report the person fast enough and I even did a search from another sim. I felt like this guy had all the bases covered and I hate to think he could get away with this.

6 answers to this question

If you have a weak graphics card along with low system RAM, he can crash your viewer with textures, objects and particles.  But, really I think it's something else.  I could be the sim you are in, something with your computer or connection....really just about anything that stresses your computer.

If you will launch your viewer but don't log in, under the "Help" menu click on "About Second Life".  Copy the specs shown on the first tab and paste them back here.  To add to your post use the "Options" in the upper right corner of your post and then "Edit".  Don't start a new thread to tell us something about your computer.

• Like 1

Rolig and Peggy have covered the reason of how someone can crash your viewer in such a way.

Also be aware that if there was also something spamming your open chat (it may have looked like lines of dialogue that appeared to be static on your screen), very quickly your hard drive can be filled up if you have opted to save open chat to your hard drive.  If you don't have massive amounts of space on your hard drive and a weak graphics card, you will unfortunately fall foul of these types of griefers.

• Like 1

You don't have to be around him to report him.  Just get his name, teleport home, file the Abuse Report from there.  In the Location section of the report, it will show your current location.  Override this and type in the name of the region where the abuse occurred.

This isnt an answer but the same happened to me while at Skyy Games http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Skyy Games/133/123/22  playing Greed board game.  Im good at the game and I can win after a few tries which upsets the people who have played 3 or more times because they are trying to.  So, should I report Skyy Games because I dont know who it was that DOS attacked me.

No, but you should take a couple of defensive steps.  One is to adjust the Max Avatar Complexity slider in Preferences >>> Graphics to nothing higher than 300,000.  That slider was introduced last year as a way to prevent deliberate overloading of graphics cards.  If you override it by setting the limit too high, you;re opening the door to griefers.  Then, if you encounter griefers, AR them, not the venue.  Skyy Games can't be held to blame for what their patrons may do.  If you can't decide exactly who attacked you, identify your attacker as "Governor Linden" and then be sure to take photos, save chat logs, and record times and places in your report so that LL has something to work with.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.