Virtual Value

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,
I'm a graduate student studying aesthetic theory. I'm currently researching the ethical implications of virtual reality and I'm reaching out to individuals involved in the creation of virtual environments or those who participate in them. Below is a very brief questionnaire that I would greatly aid my research. I would very much appreciate your time and effort in answering these questions. Thank you for your time. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

1. What role do virtually constructed worlds and/or avatars play in your daily life?

2. Is it important that your avatar and/or environment resemble the real world? Why or why not?

3. In what ways do you identify physically, visually, or otherwise with your virtual world/avatar?

4. How do you interact with other individuals in the virtual world?

5. How are these relationships different and similar to those in the real world?

6. Do you feel the same sense of responsibility, loyalty, or obligation to other individuals in the virtual world as you would in the real world?

7. Granted that you are physically in front of a screen, what does it mean to be "face to face" with another individual in virtual reality?

8. How does your participation in or construction of a virtual world satisfy your real world needs?

Interesting questions.

1. What role do virtually constructed worlds and/or avatars play in your daily life?

After 5 years still spending a lot of time in SL, so it plays a big role in my life.

2. Is it important that your avatar and/or environment resemble the real world? Why or why not?

Absolutely not. In a VW I can represent anything I'd like to be and sometimes I use the opportunity. Mostly playing as a human of my own gender tho; only younger and better looking.

3. In what ways do you identify physically, visually, or otherwise with your virtual world/avatar?

My avie IS ME! Just a better version of myself.

I'm definately more outgoing, open and loud, but apart from that still believing in my own values.

5. How are these relationships different and similar to those in the real world?

Relationships are shallower, period.

6. Do you feel the same sense of responsibility, loyalty, or obligation to other individuals in the virtual world as you would in the real world?

Hard to answer since most of us don't have the same responsibility, loyalty and obligations in SL as we have in RL. Apart from that, YES, if I say (or type LOL) anything I stick to it. If I tell you I'll be in that sim at that event at that time I'll do my best to meet that appointment. If I pronise you that I willl finish this or that notecard, build or whatever by this and that time I mean it and do it.

7. Granted that you are physically in front of a screen, what does it mean to be "face to face" with another individual in virtual reality?

Huh? I am physically in front of a screen alright. But my avie isn't. She's in world and face to face with other avies. That concept is called immersion and for me the most important aspect of virtual worlds. When I'm logged in I am Orca Flotta. That's easy since I'm not presented by a tiny, a child avatar, a different gender, a robot or a monster.

8. How does your participation in or construction of a virtual world satisfy your real world needs?

It doesn't. My real world needs are food and sleep, both of which I don't get in SL. One of my RL wants is being member of a virtual world. I fancy being in SL, so it satisfies my RL wants but not my needs.

The virtual World usually does what it was intended to do; host the Residents. The role that Residents play is the role of being themselves. Their quirks and eccentricities interplay and have an effect as would any influencing element.

Yes, and yes. Modeling all of SL upon the conditions found on the planet Jupiter, would not make sense to me.

I am human shaped in rl, and I am human shaped in SL; I see a pattern forming.

Cautiously.

In both ways. Some good, some bad

Feelings are great for feeling things, I feel with my fingers. Responsibility, loyalty and obligation all need to be earned.

Voice, Camera, Action

8. How does your participation in or construction of a virtual world satisfy your real world

In a good way, because it proves that there is a way.

In a bad way, because it proves that some people are stuck in their ways.

The greatest satisfaction is found in understanding.

Melita Magic wrote:

/groans

/agrees.

A graduate student?  From kindergarten perhaps?

Does he/she think that I would want to publicly discuss my real life urge to copulate with ostriches and how I get that urge satisfied in Second Life?

"Similarly, some of the first educators and researchers in SL were a bit clumsy in their approach. There were early incidents in which Residents felt—rightly—that they were being spied upon or treated like guinea pigs rather than human beings. Imagine how you would feel if an entire class of students set up right next to your vacation hideaway, left trash lying around, logged your conversations, and posted them on the Internet with criticism and mean-spirited comments. This is exactly what happened to some early Residents. Things have improved greatly in the years since then, but sometimes SL Residents are still subject to that kind of inconsiderate behavior. For example, a constant stream of researchers (often students) posts on the Second Life official forums requesting that Residents please take their surveys. Most of these surveys include the same questions that have been asked over and over. Often they aren't spell-checked, or refer to SL as a game—a sure way to irritate a substantial number of Residents. Some Residents make a hobby of critiquing these surveys, pointing out how the questions and their wording make it clear that the researcher isn't familiar with Second Life. Some post outright that they are sick of badly planned surveys and suggest that the researchers log in and do their own research. "
From The Second Life Grid: The official guide ro commuinication, collaboration, and community engagement
by Kimberly Rufer-Bach
ISBN: 978-0-470-41291-6

It's a graduate student, hence they do their own research on ANY topic that complies with their coursework.  I Don't mind helping out :)

None whatsoever.  I keep my real life seperate from my "online life".  The virtual world is for fun and entertainment purposes.

Sure, I try to make my avatar and/or my environemtn reflect the real world.  It feels wierd playing in a virtual world that is abstract and meaningless.  I like to put meaning into what I do.  If I play a rockstar avatar in a rockstar world, it will literally feel as though I am playing through some alter ago or character.  I can mess around with it but there's no connection.

Physically, nothing. Visually, yes I can see something about my virtual world and avatar that resembles my own life.  I can see my own world transformed into virtual cyberspace and I can connect to it.  I can literally see a person in a world that greatly resembles its reality couterpart.

Chatting, doing activities. and bonding with individuals just like I would with real life people.

It's kinda the same except for the fact that online, anything is possible.  With that in consideration, everthing is mostly similar.  I meet people, I get to know them, and I have a good time.  I'm more outgoing online than I am in real life though.

No, it's online. I play it for fun and entertainment.  I turn the power off and it's gone.  In real life, I have real obligations, responsibility, etc. to fulfill.

Face to face = seeing another avatar besides yours on your screen.  Seeing a 3D rendering of a model vector staring back at you on your computer monitor.

It's all entertainment and fun. I do stuff I would not be able to do in real life but it's all for fun.  Nothing serious.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

/groans

/agrees.

A graduate student?  From kindergarten perhaps?

Does he/she think that I would want to publicly discuss my real life urge to copulate with ostriches and how I get that urge satisfied in Second Life?

/also agrees

All these surveys make me feel so used, like an old book off the library shelf.

When I am bored I tend to log on and mess around a bit. SL is basically a chat room and web stop for me.

My SL house does but it has kind of an 80's theme. My avatar doesn't resemble me too much except the tanned skin and maybe the build.  I do like it to resemble the real world somewhat cause I am kind of a realist

My avatar is kind of like an imaginary friend who has her own personality.

Most people I just kind of have short chats with. I might act goofy or immature at times but I avoid personal insults as i don't know what is behind the avatar. Could be someone who is bed ridden and probably doesn't need more grief. I do have a couple good friends in SL that I chat with about SL and RL matters.

In RL, I seldom talk about SL. I might mention it or show a photo of my avatar but as far as relationships, I treat them the same. some good friends, mostly though casual acquaintances.

Do you feel the same sense of responsibility, loyalty, or obligation to other individuals in the virtual world as you would in the real world?

For good friends yes. I used to not care but my best friend in SL got upset when I took the summer off and she explained that she misses me and was mad that I acted likie the friendship was less meaningful just cause it was in SL. So some people DO care about me or at least enjoy my company.

I guess in the avatar vicinity. I don't think too much of it like that cause I have a couple friends in SL that we chat but never are on the same sim. It is kind of cool to meet up and check out each others' latest looks

It is entertainment. Like I said my SL house has an 80's theme so I can re-live the good ol days even if only in a virtual setting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.