Unbelievable: New Scam Issue continues!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Earlier today I reported on a difficulty which consists of

a) being thrown off SL; b) being unable to re-enter; c) being given an interim password by Phone Support; d) getting online using the new password; e) changing the new password to my old one; then changing it to a new one that only I know

f) someone tries to buy L$ on the Linden exchange using the credit card details that Linden has for me to pay my monthly tier, hitting my bank account for £1500: about US$1900? g) I change my password to an entirely new one.

My bank prevented the money being taken, but I have been put to the trouble of having to have a new credit card issued which will take a week.

TONIGHT the same process has happened AGAIN!!!!: all of step a), repeated exactly, except of course that I have created an entirely new password at step e).

It took a while to get onto phone support, as the Linden website was not recognising my step e) password! I had to go in to the Linden website from scratch, as if I were a newbie. I asked WHY OH WHY was the process happening again, and was told that the system didn't like me reverting to my old password at step e). It scrambled the old one, and the new one I created, so that I couldn't get in at all.

I now have a new password, that I created, that lets me in. Is the LInden system going to do the same again to me tomorrow?

Christi Maeterlinck

Awe Christie, I have had that happen to me before too!! (but only once) So to prevent it from ever happening again I created an alt, gave her my rights and added her to land management. She has a  prepaid c.c. on her account that can be refilled

Also I had a issuse where my card wasnt being read so I had to buy linden from a 3 party source( Ruby Thursday ) cost a few L more but  it was effecient

Someone got a hold of your SL account password.  It seems Linden Lab gave you a temporary password so that you could go to your account and create a new one.  But, you say you changed that temp password back to the old password that someone, somehow, got a hold of.......why on earth did you do that?  The only way anyone could charge your payment method (a credit card) on the Linden Exchange is by using your account to purchase those linden dollars........which means they likely logged on to your dashboard as you (using that password).  Then, apparently you changed the temp PW to the old PW..........and it looks like the person accessed your account again?  And you are blaming Linden Lab for that?  They gave you a temporary password and you changed it to the original........yeah, you changed it to something else later after the damage has been done (or so it seems from your post).

Let's just say your account was only accessed one time (the first time) and LL did what they should have done and gave you a new, temporary, password so you can create a new one (hopefully more secure than the oiginal........I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying that someone guessed your password and that you didn't actually tell anyone the password).  Instead you change it back to the original, then change it to something else........how suspicious looking is that?  I mean LL sees what happened with your account and wonders why anyone would do that.  Don't you think LL would put the account on hold or close it for such weird actions when it's already been reported to them that the Linden Exchange transaction was unauthorized?

It looks to me like you are your own worse enemy on this.  All I see is some very strange actions on your part (aside from your account being compromised......how that happened I can only guess. But reading your post, I suspect you, again, set yourself up for your account being compromised).

Thankfully nothing like this has never happened to me in SL.  But I did get hacked to a minor extent on another website a few years ago.   A few simple steps took care of the problem.

I had my bank issue a separate debit card that I use only for the internet and transfer in only enough to cover the amount of each purchase just prior to using it.  The card is restricted in a way that if the funds aren't there to cover a transaction, it's simply denied and I incur no fee.   I also have the old card closed and a new card issued twice a year.  I pay a small fee for all this every month, but the few dollars it costs is well worth the added protection.

I also change my SL password (and those of a few other sites I frequent including email accounts) once a month.   These procedures are a bit of an inconvenience, but the added security outweighs that.   You can't blame anyone if you don't take appropriate security precautions to protect yourself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.