SL web page/profile?

November Velde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok...seriously.....where is the problem? Your profile was always public to everyone in second life, now everyone outside can look at it. Its the profile of an avatar and it is not feeded with anything related to yourself as a real person (as long as you don't put everything about you in it with your own hands). If you are not comfortable with strangers reading it, you never should have written something into it, right?

My "problem" as it is, is just that. You said it perfectly "Your profile was always public to everyone in second life, now everyone outside can look at it". I do'nt have a problem with people reading my profile in SL. It serves no purpose to have a web-based profile linked to an "in world" platform.

I do not wish to start an agruement. I suppose it won't be long until I am given the line "If you don't like it, you can leave."

All I ask is that there be a way for people to choose to have one of these or not.

November Velde wrote:

My "problem" as it is, is just that. You said it perfectly "Your profile
was
always public to everyone in second life, now everyone outside can look at it". I do'nt have a problem with people reading my profile in SL. It serves no purpose to have a web-based profile linked to an "in world" platform.

I do not wish to start an agruement. I suppose it won't be long until I am given the line "If you don't like it, you can leave."

All I ask is that there be a way for people to choose to have one of these or not.

But strangers are strangers, no matter from where they can look at your profile. Also nobody who is not interested or involved in SL will search for it or pay attention to it. And even then, your profile provides nothing which is important to hide from the world, cause its just avatarrelated. I just wanted to understand why that is so important to you.

November Velde wrote:

was
always public to everyone in second life, now everyone outside can look at it". I do'nt have a problem with people reading my profile in SL. It serves no purpose to have a web-based profile linked to an "in world" platform.

you can go to the settings if you log into it and set things for only sl and certain things you can set to nobody..

or you can go as crazy as you want on linking it to facebook or other places that are in the options as well..

i only say that because some do wish to link to those places..but there are also the settings that let you hide it's details from the web..

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

November Velde wrote:

was

you can go to the settings if you log into it and set things for only sl and certain things you can set to nobody..

or you can go as crazy as you want on linking it to facebook or other places that are in the options as well..

i only say that because some do wish to link to those places..but there are also the settings that let you hide it's details from the web..

um... grrrrr n other chipmunk sounds.  

When u put stuffs into the 'Web Profile' it mostly gets cloned over to the 'Legacy Web Profile' where those privacy settings get ignored.  So while you've hidden stuff it's not hidden.  

Sometimes false hope is all we have.  But why offer false hope?

is there a certain link to these? i've tried to find mine on google and can't seem to find it..

also i would like to add that i didn't plan on giving anyone some sort of false hope..

i may have seen my old web based profile back when they first came out..

i never messed with them or even knew those were still around..when someone says legacy profiles to me..

i think old viewer profiles..

the only thing those old web profiles show are my profile pic ..the about me..my age in sl...the location of my picks..it doesn't even show the picks..it shows the notes  for the picks..

it doesn't show my groups or even my partner status..

my web based profile shows when logged out of sl..

my name join date and if i have payment info or not..

You can turn the feed off entirely.  Go to your my.secondlife.com page, click 'settings' on the left side, then click 'privacy' in the tabs on the top.  Set as many options as possible to 'nobody' and the other options to 'friends only'.  Done.  That is as much as you can do.

It can take search engines a while to catch up with your changes, but it is the best you've got right now.

When LL turned the feeds on, they were automatically set for the most permissive settings (dumb, I know) You just have to change it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old; but people, please be aware that if you lock your profile down completely, in other words, don't leave "Second Life" (or Everyone) in your Privacy Settings, people in world using the Linden viewers 2 and 3 will not be able to see your profile.

Which means, if you do any promotion there, for your store, events, etc. they will not be able to see it, and might not be able to reach you at all.

The reason that the web profiles are no longer "opt out" is that they are the only proflie that V2 and V3 users see in world.

So, if you want customers to be able to reach you, please don't lock them down.

Thanks!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.