Received Items beta test live on ADITI

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Received Items is a new subsection of Inventory where all incoming items, including purchases, gifts, shared, and returned items, will be placed. You can read about it in the blogs here:

How you can help? The following testing guide has been added to the wiki with specific instructions on how to participate in this open beta:

If you find bugs please file them in JIRA using this link for any issues you find. Select the component "Inventory".

If you have thoughts or opinions about the project please communicate them in the forums here:

Additionally you can read the transcript from this weeks Server Beta UserGroup meeting. Gecko Linden was on hand to answer all questions: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta_Server_Office_Hours/Minutes/2012-02-23
__Oskar

Oskar Linden wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

The LOOOOOOOOOONG thread discussing it is here

It doesn't take too long to see where the REAL opinion of the customer lies.

Isn't that the link I provided up above?

__Oskar

Yes so the best thing would be to lock this thread so as to avoid yet another thread starting that illustrates that from a decision persepctive, this is not one of LL's finest weeks!

Oskar Linden wrote:

Received Items is a new subsection of Inventory where all incoming items, including purchases, gifts, shared, and returned items,
will be placed
. You can read about it in the blogs here:

How you can help? The following testing guide has been added to the wiki with specific instructions on how to participate in this open beta:

If you find bugs please file them in JIRA using this link for any issues you find. Select the component "Inventory".

If you have thoughts or opinions about the project please communicate them in the forums here:

Additionally you can read the transcript from this weeks Server Beta UserGroup meeting. Gecko Linden was on hand to answer all questions: 
__Oskar

Oskar...the three bolded words I highlighted tell me that no matter what we've said over in the merchant forum has amounted ot a hill of beans with Linden Lab.  In this, I read that the "feature" is being implemented regardless.  Correct?

We don't need a junk drawer we have to sort. Received is a misnomer since it includes my own creations that I take a copy of.

Received items already go to Recent -- although some people are not aware that inventory has filters that can increase the usefulness of recent.

Pamela Galli wrote:

We don't need a junk drawer we have to sort. Received is a misnomer since it includes my own creations that I take a copy of.

Received items already go to Recent -- although some people are not aware that inventory has filters that can increase the usefulness of recent.

Pamela, your point is dead on - if residents don't know how to use the current filing system, or, the recent tab, what makes anyone think that introducing a new "Received Folder" is going to be anymore easily understood.

@CTL - When you ask for feedback, when you put things on the Beta Grid to be tested, then review the feedback and see that this is not a change that is wanted, be prepared to say "we hear you".  If you don't, I hope you've got the rollback ready to go because the feedback here is a drop in the bucket compared to what (IMHO), you will hear when this is implemented.

This is a horrible idea Oscar. Without granularity, it will only make a mess of inventory and things will be even more confusing to people than they already are. If you're serious about this feature, it should be broken into:

• Marketplace Items (new folder)
  • New objects created by me (new folder)
  • Objects rezzed and copied (leave as is - go back to original folder)
  • Lost & Found (leave as is)
  • Objects received from other people (new folder)
  • Objects received from scripted objects (new folder or leave as-is)
  • Purchased objects (new folder or leave as-is)

Otherwise, if this is not possible, simply leave everything alone and add the special Marketplace Items folder as originally announced by CTL.

• 2 weeks later...

God no. It's bad enough that LL wants to change where things go (which will break existing content) without needing to remember HOW you got something to find it. Bad bad bad ideas all around. As mentioned before, the Recent tab already works, and filters make it even more useful. Instead of changing the SERVER, change the CLIENT so that the "default" (that we can change already) is changed from "Since Last Logoff" to "2 days" to make the Recent tab more useful. This is the problem right? People can't find new things? Clearly the existing default filter in the viewer is the problem, not the server. I call on the TPV's to all implement this default filter change to show LL how to do things right. Do NOT make this server side change!!! Can you PLEASE stop doing new stupid stuff and instead spend the time and energy (and money) on fixing existing problems like unreliable inventory, group chat, etc?

Read my post carefully again. There are several OPTIONS in it. The Marketplace Delivery folder is coming whether you like it or not. It's a function of direct delivery. How LL actually implements it is what's at issue. Changing the default to 2 days on the Recent Tab MIGHT help a little but I suspect not much. If the Recent tab blinked or something when there were items shown via the filter, that might help.

The survey that LL pushed to all those responding in the big thread appears that the solution being considered is sort of what I proposed with the additional granularity to make it somewhat more useful.

HOWEVER, Kitty's JIRA is spot on: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7748

RLV (not that I use it) and similar inventory give behaviors MUST be respeced regardless of how the Received Items folder works. It will break too much existing and normal content.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.