ToS disclaimer to allow sharing of conversation... is it allowable?

Maximillion Foehammer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Alright, so let's take this from my point of view, in my profile I have: "So... My log is getting full of your IM and locals. So conversing with me consents to me to use those logs to my ability and/or discretion. Even if you do not read this, do not blame me. " I get into trouble at a local club because I used someone's (Person 1) private conversation with a friend of mine saying that Person 1 doesn't care for you as a worker, and she's your manager. Over time, Person 1 bans me from the club, on the grounds of violating ToS. Granted, LL will not care about a certain ban from a zone, but I am curious as to who is in the right. and if possible have the official definitive answer from Linden themselves.

15 answers to this question

We get this question at least once a month (search the archives....) and the answer is always the same.  The TOS is the TOS.  You can't decide that you are going to change it or declare that it doesn't apply to you.  The Community Standards, referenced in the TOS, say " Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited."  It doesn't say, "except when you decide that you can share them."

You're not likely to get a definitive answer from any Lindens here since this is a resident supported forum.  However, this is an old topic on this board and the ultimate answer has always been that sharing a conversation without the consent of all parties on any Linden owned property (inworld or website) is against the TOS and your profile verbage is worthless.

--Cinn

Your official definitive answer is right here:

http://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php

Read and comprehend section 4 "Disclosure".  You should have already read that by now.  You also haven't done the least bit of searching for an answer to your question.  If you haven't done so, it would really help you out in your Second Life experience if you read the Terms of Service:

http://secondlife.com/corporate/tos.php#tos9

So your curiousity should be satisfied..........you are the one in the wrong.

• Like 2

Nope doesn't work that way. But frankly it a mote point as far as I'm concerned as I would ban you from my lands just for having that statement in your profile. That way the people there don't have to be concerned about what you might do with their conversation. I would consider it the least I can do for the comfort of my visitors.

Try putting a sign on the inside flap of your backpack which you leave unbuckled with a note on the oustide of the flap saying "Read the note on the inside of this flap". On the note you have taped to the inside you say "I have a fetish about peeking under girls skirts when they are in public places and I reserve the right to take pictures and, if I choose, I will post them on the Internet. You've been warned so make sure you wear panties."

I bet you go to jail if you post any pictures on the Internet and someone sees them and complains.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.