A few questions about SL.

Cougare

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'v been playing SL now for almost two months and still have some Qs.. If someone has the time to answer them, I'd be thankful. X3

1. Do linden dollars expire? (I said it was a goal I set to become a SL millionair and someone told me that L expires.. Then someone else said they don't. so...?)
2. The home you get with premium membership, is it rentable? if so, how do you go about renting it and if not, what kind of homes are?
3. Does monthy premium membership charge automatically? If not, can you set it up too?

Thanks for your time. X3 And sorry if this is in the wrong topic.. I couldn't find a "help" Board.

Ask your self this question, would you rent of someone like your self or would you rent from the owner knowing it will be cheaper, you seem to think you can slip into the role of middle man and no one will notice, I think people her are wise and will rent from the real land owner, I doubt if you will make a 1000 linden let alone a million, people that come here with your view find it to hard and usually end up committing fraud.

Some things to add:-

Premium memberships are paid with real money and not with L$. LL don't acept L$ as payment for anything.

To rent a place out you need to either rent the land yourself from another SL user, or you need to buy some mainland. To buy mainland, you need to have a premium account, which costs monthly RL money. Renting non-mainland, which is always from another user, doesn't need a premium account. It also costs money (weekly or monthly) but it can sometimes be paid in L$. In the latter (non-mainland) case, you can easily be misled into thinking you're buying the land and that you actually own it, but that's can never happen. Ownership always stays with the owner of the sim even if it looks like you own it.

Ignore the "fraud" comment. You haven't posted anything that even remotely suggests you might end up doing it.

I think your ambition is commendable, and I wish you well with it. It can certainly be done but it's not exactly a doddle. For instance, my first business was renting out skyboxes (homes in the sky). I didn't put body and soul into it but it did take a good amount of ongoing time. I peaked at renting out 60+ of them and I was taking over L$60k a month. Out of that I had to pay monthly tier for the land, which was done by converting it to US$. It also had to pay for my premium account because I was using mainland. It was interesting as a hobby while it lasted but it took too much ongoing time for what it was worth. L$60+ thousand a month minus the monthly tier cost wouldn't have built up to being a L$ millionaire in a hurry. My next business did build up to that in a hurry, but renting places out to achieve it is not something I'd suggest.

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

Ask your self this question, would you rent of someone like your self or would you rent from the owner knowing it will be cheaper, you seem to think you can slip into the role of middle man and no one will notice, I think people her are wise and will rent from the real land owner, I doubt if you will make a 1000 linden let alone a million, people that come here with your view find it to hard and usually end up committing fraud.

Actually people do that all the time.  Myself and most of the people I know started out SL renting a skybox, apartment or small house from someone other than the estate owner.  No one said he'd make a million or even a thousand from getting a parcel and renting out few places on it.  But many large rental estate owners started out that way and grew from there as they gained the experience and knowledge to be successful.

I agree with Phil too, the OP hasn't said anything to lead me to believe he'd commit fraud and it was not fair to him for you to imply it.

Forget about making money from rentals. It's not worth the time or effort and the return is poor, IMO you should focus on one of the following.

Content creation - there is a big gap in the market right now for well designed and cleverly optimised mesh content, I think filling this gap would be the easiest way to make a million L$

or provide a service that people are willing to pay for.

or provide an experience that people are willing to pay for, there could be allot of potential here as in the near future LL will be offering "selected" people a toolset to create games and content along the lines of Linden Realms. This is going to open up potential new sources for earning L$ in SL. 

Read Rod's crimbo blog here.

In the blog he states 

"we will introduce a "creators" program in which verified members will be given access to these very powerful capabilities."

As far as I know LL have not yet made public what the criteria is for being validated. That's why i said "selected".

Cougare wrote:

How would you get a place/land to rent out? I'm interested in doing that.

ps: The 'market' for being a landlord is very harsh right now. There is a -LOT- of land in SL, and its pretty darn cheap. So to be a landlord you have to really know how to pack in some solid 'added value'.

- Either amazing views you can guarantee. A built in community, a solid theme, or something. All of which tends to require you owning a -LOT- of land so you can control a wide area. People also tend to be very concerned about renting from folks who lack an established reputation.

Its pretty much the worst business to consider going into.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.