Time for Some Luvin

Mickey Vandeverre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's Holiday and Festive Time again!  Just like Halloween and Christmas, and well, every other holiday....Valentine's Day is Huge in Second Life.

It appears that we still have a Romantic Christmas/New Year banner running....at least half the equation is close, but perhaps something pretty with red and pink and hearts and candy and roses and cakes and balloons and champagne and love nest rentals and romantic skyboxes.  All that jazz.

And the vampires, yes, they need some luvin too.  I bet they would love a pretty red velvet dress with an upsweep hair style and perhaps a rose boutonniere pinned to a nice tux.  Definitely some red stilettos.

I believe it was the beginning of the year, or perhaps it was even last year (time flies when you are hand delivering all day long).....that we would be informed of each month's promotions, and have ample time to prepare, and be given directions on which category would be promoted, with perhaps a title tag to use or something like that.  At bare minimum, perhaps a suggestion on which category to plug the promotional items into, that feeds directly from the banner (once the new banner goes up - shortly, hopefully)   Assume it is Celebrations this time?

How we doin' on that?

After Valentine's Day....Spring and Easter arrives for some. 

Shhhhh Mickey!!!

Leave the LL Commerce Team alone.   Every minute this team wastes in keeping the MP banners up to date on up-coming seasonal promotions is a minute they are not working on their YEAR LONG DD Deployment ;)  They can only work on one thing at a time.

I would like to know why LL has such a fascination on promoting Vampires.  Anyone outside SL on all the LL paid promotions on external website banners would think SL is a site dedicated for Vampires!

Does LL know there are even larger communities of Music/Singing/Concerts, or Clubbing, or Gorean ;)

Why are there no LL paid banners about the Gorean culture?  They could make image banners up with medieval clad men chasing scantily clad hot women with club and ropes across a beautiful forest landscaped sim.

Think of the influx of new SL residents if these posters popped up as side banners on KOINUP and wherever else they appear.

;)

ooops...St. Patty's!  HUGE

Toy, there have been some interesting observations across the web last few weeks on that front page :)   Vampires purchase stuff - was invited to a blood bath recently, and wanted to go, but the tp system wasn't functioning that hour.

Scantily clad would be awesome.  Art would be awesome.  Music would be awesome.  A mix of Everything would be awesome.  Even the slightest attempt at a halfway professional appearance on the front page would be awesome (no matter what the topic)...just make it look professional and inviting. 

Peter - I know that other countries have other holidays, but LOVE is an international language, and appears that many different countries are celebrating.  :)

What holidays does LL miss for other countries?

Paula001 Goldschein wrote:

I would like to know why LL has such a fascination on promoting Vampires.  Anyone outside SL on all the LL paid promotions on external website banners would think SL is a site dedicated for Vampires!

It's horrible! Why are they so hung up on that (still) ?? The ads are such low quality too (IMO)..

I really dont know.  The Vamp Ads are not even that enticing - I agree.  If I were a RL VAMP LOVER I would think being a Vamp in SL was a tacky game for kids.  Vamps in SL take their role playing pretty serious (as do all the other communities within SL).  They must cringe when they see LL's promotion of Vamps.

The fact that after all these months LL is still only promoting Vamps is likely because with Kim Linden out the door (who I suspect was the architect of the Vamp promotion), no one is around at LL to take over the marketing reigns and change the banner to anything new.

The Art community is HUGE and would give a major high-brow professional look to the outside world.  The music community is massive and yet very little is done to enlighten RL garage musicians to come in to grow their popularity and expand their talents / revenue / fan base.

We could go on... but no one at LL is really running LL / SL marketing anymore that I know of.  And we know that the LL Commerce Team is so smal they can only work on one initiative at a time and even that is done with no cycles to talk with their Commerce Merchant community.

Sooooo sigh

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

ooops...St. Patty's!  HUGE

What holidays does LL miss for other countries?

Correction: St Patty's!  HUGE in the USA even though it's the wrong country

I take it you're kidding about the second part of that.  If not then let's start with

• If St Patrick's day then why not every patron saint (or appropriate religious/philosophical figure)
  • If (USA's) Independence day then why not every other country's national day (eg; Bastille day, Australia day)
  • If (USA's) Labor day then why not May day, or any other international workers' celebration
  • If something why never ever anything from somewhere other than the USA

Feel free to check: there has never been a single LL advertisment or promotion for any non-USA event.

No, not kidding at all.  Serious.  Would be nice to have a complete list.  We could certainly pay attention to those ourselves.  We could get that off the web, I'm sure, or just consult with customers.  Good luck getting any effort there on a banner. 

Religious holidays are interesting nowadays.  Even within the US, there is separation on how one should address "Christmas" and whether PC to call it that, as opposed to "Holiday Season" or "Happy Holidays" or whatever.

I believe that even the President had an ankle biter after him for how they presented and worded their seasons greeting card this year.  Touchy stuff now.

They don't celebrate St. Patty's day in Pattyland?  holy cow!  Learn something new every day.

I think it would be totally cool to celebrate each others' holidays.  Would be totally cool to get a decent banner changed up now and then, too, in a timely fashion, no matter what the promotion is.  Baby Steps.

St Patrick's - they DO celebrate it in Eire although it had pretty much disappeared a few decades ago.  There are two reasons for its revival 1) US hype & marketing shook the natives out of their indifference, 2) Guiness

Everything else - Yes, I think "national days of the world, this week featuring ...." would be pretty interesting.  Not much for England to suprise anyone with but the history of Bastille day, as I already mentioned, or Tag der Deutschen Einheit would make good cultural as well as marketing events :-)

If you've run out of countries to celebrate, or guiness, you can find saints here: http://www.catholic-saints.info/patron-saints/patron-saints-countries.htm

Then there are all the 'local heros' - I see the USA has Martin Luther King day, for instance.

And don't forget the wonderful merchandising opportunities provided by industry, historical and international 'firsts', either people or things; eg; Ada Lovelace day (world's first programmer), the Diet of Worms (re the original Martin Luther), etc. etc.

@ Medhue.  The population of Eire is under 5m so I think most people here know there are more in Massachusetts than there ^^.  The mystery of the US is why its culture makes everyone want to be other-Citizens (Irish-Americans, Afro-Americans, Korean-Americans, etc), whereas everywhere else in the world you're just 'from here' after 2 or 3 generations.  Maybe it's because there's so much space in which distinctive groups can maintain their identities.

> I don't think most people realize that the US probably has more people of irish descent than even Ireland,--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It is the second largest historical immigrant group after Germans. A lot of them probably believe they are Scottish-American; at least the Protestants who have mixed with predominantly Protestant immigrant groups such as Scandinavians. 

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Now that I didn't know.  Are there a lot of Irish-Canadians too or did the party just spill over from the South?

From Wikipedia: Irish Canadian

Irish Canadian are immigrants and descendants of immigrants who originated in Ireland. 1.2 million Irish immigrants arrived, 1825 to 1970, at least half of those in the period from 1831-1850. By 1867, they were the second largest ethnic group (after the French), and comprised 24% of Canada's population.

The 2006 census by Statistics Canada, Canada's Official Statistical office revealed that the Irish were the 4th largest ethnic group with 4,354,000 Canadians with full or partial Irish descent or 14% of the country's total population.

No wonder we still have a St. Patrick's Day parade in my city!

LOL.... the USA is not the only country that is made up with very large populations of several "OLD WORLD" cultures. 

Most "NEW WORLD" countries, which Canada would surely be classified as one of these countries and which has a European Invasion history as old if not older than the USA, are made up primarily of very large populations of OLD WORLD cultures.

Not only does Canada have a very large population of Irish, they also have as large if not larger populations of:

• French (obviously)
  • Ukrainian
  • German
  • Islantic
  • Asian (ChineseandJapanese)
  • Philippine
  • Islamic

and several other cultures.

There is a big fundamental difference though between Canadian and American culture as a whole that Canadians are fully aware of but not most Americans (since most Americans know almost nothing about their largest and closest neighbour to the north).

In the USA the greater overarching culture is referred to as "THE MELTING POT" - i.e. that although USA has a lot of these old world cultures that make up their population, the continual pressure and belief is that "We are all Americans".  Ethnic diversity is not promoted as much as its a blend to the greateer American Ethnic Culture.

This is not the overarching culture in Canada.  In Canada, ethnic diversity and cultures are heavily promoted and brought to the forefront.  "The Melting Pot" philosophy is NOT a Canadian belief.  In Canada, everyone is proud to be a Canadian but we are proud to be that because we fully see each ethnic culture stands strongly as part of what makes Canada what it is in this world.

The best way to prove this difference in culture is if you were to ask 100 Americans on the street what their background is or "what are you", a very large % would respond "I am American".  In Canada you would get a much larger % responding "I am Ukranian or German or Chinese".... or  "I am a German Canadian"

There you go... a bit of trivia about Canada for some of you south of the border.

The Vampire thing is because Vampires are a massive part of popular culture right now following the 'Twilight' Series/Saga of books and movies. The movies have grossed over $2 billion and the books have sold over 116 million copies so it makes sense for LL to present SL as a place for Vampires to hang out especially since there are an awful lof of them here.

I would agree its time for a new banner now but this particular Vampire Campaign  has only been running since New Years, so I dont think 4 weeks is unreasonable. I would also add that of all the seasonal events, Valentines is very much the last minute one, usually I hardly sell anything Valentines related until a few days before with about 90% of sales on the 13th.

I would certainly like to see them promoting SL in different ways, but i thought the association with 'Twilight' made good  sense.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.