Opinion Needed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This weeked I took my friend to a club that I've been to and enjoyed many times.  Normally I go for a certain dj friend since I enjoy his sets but this time there was a different dj who I've only heard a partial set once before.  During the course of his show he made some racial remarks that I found offensive.  I told my friend that what was said bothered me and that if he wanted to leave we could go.  The remarks were about men of a certain race, not going to go into what was said but was offensive.  We stayed for a short time longer then left, discussing it later he said that yes altho it did offend him he wasn't going to let anyone run him out of a club.  I've since left the club group but am wondering would you notify the management as to what went on?  I really feel like I should since perhaps it was "all in good fun" it was in poor taste and completely unnecessary.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, you should tell management. It may have been all in good fun, but if a DJ is driving people away, the management would probably want to know. A club is a business, after all. They need traffic; they need people to stay; and they need people to refer their friends. I wouldn't let this DJ run you out of the club, but I would let the owners know what happened.

i don't know if i would leave the club group because of a dj..

don't let the actions of one person spoil something you may like..that club is probably just one of the many places that dj works..most just get set time  at a bunch of clubs to fill the slots of the day..

and really ..informing the owner would be something you would have to decide..i mean there really isn't enough to go on as far as how bad it was what this person said..

if you feel it was bad enough then  you may want to contact them..thats kind of up to you really..

Akalee wrote:

This weeked I took my friend to a club that I've been to and enjoyed many times.  Normally I go for a certain dj friend since I enjoy his sets but this time there was a different dj who I've only heard a partial set once before.  During the course of his show he made some racial remarks that I found offensive.  I told my friend that what was said bothered me and that if he wanted to leave we could go.  The remarks were about men of a certain race, not going to go into what was said but was offensive.  We stayed for a short time longer then left, discussing it later he said that yes altho it did offend him he wasn't going to let anyone run him out of a club.  I've since left the club group but am wondering would you notify the management as to what went on?  I really feel like I should since perhaps it was "all in good fun" it was in poor taste and completely unnecessary.

Thanks for the feedback.

I had a similar experience recently. I was in a Blues club I like very much and the DJ or host told a joke I found to be very offensive. It wasn't a racist joke but was still offensive. People laughed. It was late at night & I was tired. I started to object but then thought better of it & just said something sarcastic & left shortly afterwards. (I'm more contentious in these fora than I am inworld.) The club owner was there at the time. I like this woman very much & don't know whether she just went along with the joke to be polite or agreed with the sentiment. I'm not going to stop going to this club because of a joke told in poor taste, but maybe I'll only go there when my sisters are DJing. This wouldn't have happened if it'd been one of their gigs.

Jeanne

Since you like this club and, I assume, this is the first time this happened, I think you were a bit hasty in leaving the group.  I would  notify the management in writing of what happened and if there is a log available of the public chat send it with your complaint.  Then after I got a response I'd decide if I should leave the group and stop going based on the response I received. 

I doubt management tolerates this type of behavior and would want to know about it so they could put a stop to it.  If you were both offended, probably others were too.

Don't let the actions of one DJ keep you away from a place you enjoy, but do pick and choose who's sets you wish to attend. If someone is offensive or not your style, choose to be elsewhere. I really enjoy live singers and musicians, and pick and choose who I'll spend time listening to.

As a club manager, I have terminated arrangements with DJs who considered racial slurring to be humour, though I will acknowledge I am a little more forthright about this issue than many are.
I can tell you that even if a customer has a complaint that I personally find petty or annoying, it still MUST be given a thorough response. Any club whose management does not wish to hear or deal with your feedback is failing at basic customer service.
Bad behaviour persists because people do nothing. I WANT to know what you think of my club, and I sure want to know if someone in a position of authority is behaving badly.
In the event that the club management sees noting wrong with the behaviour of the DJ (and this could just as easily have been another customer or a live musician, despite the barrow-pushing of another respondent), or is reluctant to confront the DJ , which is often the case, then you certainly should "vote with your feet" and leave the club and the group over a matter you feel is important. It's passive-aggressive to leave and not say why, but not everything has to be a drama. I would encourage you to have your say, and listen to the management's response - you can then quietly and with dignity leave or stay as you see fit.

Akalee wrote:

I've since left the club group but am wondering would you notify the management as to what went on? 

Yes and if I owned a place I would expect or hope to be notified of such things too. Does the club have a rule card you can read? That should give you a clear idea of the tenor of the place.

I was once dancing in a club when the DJ said something offensive similar to what you describe. He was fired on the spot. Luckily the club manager was there too. In fact I think she even left her avatar there 24 hours a day, but during events was always present fully. 

I would be horrified if something like that happened on my land and no one told me. At least give the owner the chance to decide what to do about it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.