Which sells better, a 512 or a 1024?

Princess Ivory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I live on the mainland and can only share my personal experience as a buyer. When I was new to land owning, I was looking at only 512 plots, cause that's the amount of tier I got for free. Now as a more experienced landowner, I would probably be in the market for larger parcels, and I might be hesitant to buy a 512 next to another 512 for sell, so I would probably buy all 3 512's up at once.

As an aside, it may be the pricing, land is really cheap right now.

When I bought my first parcel I fully intended to stay within my "free" 512, but in less then a day claustrophobia and prim starvation set in and I tiered up and bought two neighboring 512s for 1536 total.  It was great for a while, on a hill top, a beach in view, but had some ugly neighbors on either side of me so I dumped that and moved.  Since then I've tiered up to 2560 mostly buying 512 or smaller plots.  In my case a 512 got me hooked and nearby 512s was the ideal step size and convenience to tempt me to buy more.

HOWEVER, with all the land I've bought I have never paid more then 1L$/sq.m and when having to get rid of land I always had to sell it for less then 1L$/sq.m (not much of a land baron).  And occasionally I scan the map and search and it doesn't take much effort to find cheap land of all sizes, often roadside and water front.  So selling land right now could be tough.

Recently I sold my old mainland to move to a full mainland sim. I cut it up into pieces of all sizes. The answer was nothing had more chance of selling than anything else. It basically didn't sell. The bit that did sell directly bordered a local community, which is something most mainland doesn't have as a selling point. The rest, I abandoned because no one wanted it. Last time I looked, it was all still for sale under the Linden abandoned land system.

So if you're losing money paying for the tier for that land, abandon it. You won't earn that money back. But if you have tier to spare... I'd suggest splitting one piece of land into 512s. That way, you hedge your bets and have a few of each size. If one size sells quicker than the other, you can change the remaining plots. Expect it to take some time to sell, even at a cheap price.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Appreciate it.

A friend added tier to our group, so we were able to save some of the land we were going to sell.

Currently selling just a 2352 for L$0.85 per sqm ($2000). It's near a rezz zone and Linden Road Route 8 in Bagheera. We'll see if it gets any interest at that price.

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't take my questioning wrong, I'm trying to learn/find out  something. What is it about this land that is on the mainland that should make it $2000 (or any  price actually).   Is the seller still the "actual" owner in the eyes of LL?  Assuming that they are not , and the buyer is paying tier directly to LL, do they not then also have to have the added expense of a premium account along with the tier? Typically the neighboring land to parcels on sale on the mainland look like crap. So if you were planning to personally live on it then you have less than aesthetic surroundings. Or is all of this buying and selling between real estate types just wanting to accumulate large enough amts of terrain to create residential areas?  Trying to find out what it is the buyer is "getting" by spending 2000 , 1000,  or however many lindens to "go mainland".

When you buy mainland, your landlord is Linden Labs and you pay them tier (though your first 512 is free, so there's no tier to pay on that). You do need a premium account.

As for what you get, your land will stay until Second Life ends. The same isn't true for private estates, which come and go. You get more freedom over what you build. But on the other side, your neighbours also get that freedom... and you might hate their builds. Organising themed areas takes more work on the mainland.

At sim owner level, mainland doesn't have all the estate management tools, but the tier is much cheaper.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.