Live Music

Alishen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have to say I have been going to some live music shows lately have met sooo many nice people!

I have met many down to earth fun SL people hang out at these shows ,it really is a must see thing if you are a new SL player looking to meet people.

So far my fav is AMFORTE ! She is a great singer , entertainer !

She always has fun questions for every one to answer between songs,I have to say its one of my favorite parts of her show,I love people who go out of their way to entertain! I have also been check  out other artist in SL live music and there are many many great entertainers in SL .

Alishen wrote:

I have to say I have been going to some live music shows lately have met sooo many nice people!

I have met many down to earth fun SL people hang out at these shows ,it really is a must see thing if you are a new SL player looking to meet people.

So far my fav is AMFORTE ! She is a great singer , entertainer !

She always has fun questions for every one to answer between songs,I have to say its one of my favorite parts of her show,I love people who go out of their way to entertain! I have also been check  out other artist in SL live music and there are many many great entertainers in SL .

Oh Alishen, you are so correct! SL is a great place for music, both live performances and well-crafted DJed sets. In my 5 months in SL I have had my musical horizons greatly expanded. From my sister's 40s big band set to Gospel & coffee on Sunday mornings, I have been listening to music in SL that I never paid any attention to before. I love it! There's even a clothing optional venue where live performances are offered. LoL

When you consider how much preparation and practice goes into a live performance, I wonder how they do it. Or, rather, I wonder why they do it. A tip jar at the end of a 2 hr. set may only have a few hundred $L in it. Peanuts! for a performance that may have taken weeks to prepare. I know that my sister gets nervous before a performance, and that whatever tips she receives goes back to LL for tier & other expenses. Why does she do it, then? Because she loves music & loves making her audience happy.

Even a DJed set takes hours of preparation to get the song list right. It's like a Native American woman who weaves a rug & sells it for a few thousand dollars, maybe. When you consider all the time she spent caring for the sheep, shearing them, dying the wool, carding it, spinning it by hand, and the months spent sitting at the loom weaving the rug, those few $K only represent pennies per hour of her time. It's the same for musicians & DJs in SL. A waitress in some RL greasy spoon restaurant does better in tips. So why do musicians in SL even bother? Once again,cuz  it's a labor of love.

Which brings me to a general principle: Anything of quality was produced for love, not for profit. This is why SL technical performance sucks so badly. SL is a cash cow to LL. They don't love it. The Lindens do what they do for a paycheck at best, for bonuses to corporate executives & dividends & capital gains to investors at worst. To the corporation, unlike the musicains & DJs, SL is about money not love. The Supreme Court may have made corporations "people" but has failed to give these "people" a soul. LL is a soulless corporation that profits from the labor of people who contribute to SL for the sake of love.

Which is why I call once again for SL to be wrested by those who love it, from the greedy grasp of the corporation that only seeks to profit from it. SL is being run into the ground by the neglect & incompetence of those who don't love it. Those who do love SL shouldn't allow this to happen. We will lose all this music, offered out of love, when LL finally manages to kill their (to them) golden egg laying goose. A consortium of people who love SL need to take it over from the corporation and run it as a non-profit cooperative, so that the music & friendships can continue to flourish.

Jeanne

Also remember to show some love for the venue that puts on the show, like clubs in SL they for the most either barely break even or not at all. A lot of people who own them put in their own money to rent/own the land plus pay the singer. My friends venue closed after 5 years, and after helping her for those years I know how much goes into one.

For a long time Live Music was a very central part of my SL.

This is an old thread, "Favorite Acts In Second Life." Some of the performers listed no longer perform in S and I am sure there are some new ones not mentioned here.  But you will find many great reviews, etc. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-and-Arts/Favorite-Acts-in-the-Second-Life-Live-Music-...M420

The way search functions now in SL has made browsing for shows a major pain.  I used to plan ahead of time who I was going to go see but the way search is set up now prevents you from doing a quick overview of what is upcoming.

To me there are three categories of musicians in SL:

Professional Musicians:  Musicians who actually earn a living / make money in RL performing.  We are very blessed to have many of these folks in SL who share their talents with us for mere pennies. 

Roleplay Musicians:  Range from average to very talented people who do not earn a living through music but still enjoy performing.  A large number fall into this category.  They are also a pleasure to listen to.  I mean nothing derogatory here by the word 'roleplay.'

Wannabe Musicians:  People who think they are talented but aren't. Sometimes they have a circle of SL friends who cheer them on but anyone else arriving at their show can't TP out fast enough.  Beware though.  Unless you are willing to endure flaming, etc, saying anything negative about them will result in their friends screaming bloody murder.  This I have still not figured out.

The group Flashdancers rampage en masse into most live music events. Join them if you want to dance  with lots & lots of others at the drop of a hat. It's awesome fun!

The biggest Flashies crowds assemble at some incredibly popular venues. It can get terribly laggy so get in and on the group HUD early!

JeanneAnne wrote:

Which brings me to a general principle: Anything of quality was produced for love, not for profit. This is why SL technical performance sucks so badly. SL is a cash cow to LL. They don't love it. The Lindens do what they do for a paycheck at best, for bonuses to corporate executives & dividends & capital gains to investors at worst. To the corporation, unlike the musicains & DJs, SL is about money not love. The Supreme Court may have made corporations "people" but has failed to give these "people" a soul. LL is a soulless corporation that profits from the labor of people who contribute to SL for the sake of love.

Which is why I call once again for SL to be wrested by those who love it, from the greedy grasp of the corporation that only seeks to profit from it. SL is being run into the ground by the neglect & incompetence of those who don't love it. Those who do love SL shouldn't allow this to happen. We will lose all this music, offered out of love, when LL finally manages to kill their (to them) golden egg laying goose. A consortium of people who love SL need to take it over from the corporation and run it as a non-profit cooperative, so that the music & friendships can continue to flourish.

Jeanne

What a load of BS. 

SL would not be here, if it were not for corporation status, and investor money.   You think you can do this with love?  

Take a good look at the Open Sims...and see which ones are growing.  Take a good look at Open Sims and other 3D worlds that are trying to compete with SL.   The ones that are not crap,  are the ones that have a business model, and want to make a profit. 

I dare you, double dog dare you, to go out onto the internet, and try to do this without profit as the motivation.  Report back when you've learned something.

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

What a load of BS. 

SL would not be here, if it were not for corporation status, and investor money.   You think you can do this with love?  

Take a good look at the Open Sims...and see which ones are growing.  Take a good look at Open Sims
and
other 3D worlds that are trying to compete with SL.   The ones that are not crap,  are the ones that have a business model, and want to make a profit. 

I dare you, double dog dare you, to go out onto the internet, and try to do this without profit as the motivation.  Report back when you've learned something.

All I can say is: "Undo your mind."

All you need is love, Celestiall... :heart:

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

A consortium of people who love SL need to take it over from the corporation and run it as a non-profit cooperative, so that the music & friendships can continue to flourish.

You were at Hippiestock inworld, right?  

Well, the real life Woodstock, which is where Hippie got his inspiration, was not done for love.  Or, love of music.  It was done for profit.   It never would have happened, if money and investors had not made it happen.

Also, there were performers that were asked to be at the original Woodstock, who refused to go, without getting a bunch of money.  So, you really think all those musical performers back then did music for love?!   LOL

No, baby, they did it money.  Just like now.

http://www.cracked.com/article/116_5-facts-about-woodstock-hippies-dont-want-you-to-know/

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.