First Anniversary Of Teen Grid Merger!

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On Jan 21 a year ago LL began officially transferring the Teen Grid to the Main Grid!

Some blog posts here:  One year on since the grid merger

"In 2011 the former Teen Grid mainland became empty in terms of land and region traffic. My guess is that teens lost interest and went somewhere else on the web. I don’t think anyone has noticed a huge difference on the grid since last year but have you noticed any difference since the merger ?"

Teen Grid Has Officially Merged

Top 20 old teen grid historical places to visit

Hah, Ha!  I hope the teens are loving being on the main grid as much as some of us adults love having them here.  I love running into someone whose about two years younger than me,  they have so much promise.  I love encouraging them to log off every now and then and going outside!

Daniel Voyager wrote:

Thanks 
Perrie for sharing my blog link. 

Your Welcome. 

I was googling for some other SL-centric info when I came upon this in your blog.  This seems to have escaped attention for the most part.  It almost seems like a non-event now after all the furor leading up to it but no doubt that we are still feeling its impact.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Daniel Voyager wrote:

Thanks 

Your Welcome. 

I was googling for some other SL-centric info when I came upon this in your blog.  This seems to have escaped attention for the most part.  It almost seems like a non-event now after all the furor leading up to it but no doubt that we are still feeling its impact.

ya there were not many attempts after the merger of people creating drama about it..it was pretty much met head on in the forums when it was spotted..

i think i could count only on one hand the attempts after the merger that tried to make it seem like  legal teens were somehow getting into anything but  general..

but i agree..there was one heck of a storm before the calm back then LOL

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Daniel Voyager wrote:

Thanks 

Your Welcome. 

ya there were not many attempts after the merger of people creating drama about it..it was pretty much met head on in the forums when it was spotted..

i think i could count only on one hand the attempts after the merger that tried to make it seem like  legal teens were somehow getting into anything but  general..

but i agree..there was one heck of a storm before the calm back then LOL

With both Zindra and the merger becoming fait accompli people changed their focus.  Especially the Zindrans who really needed to shift their focus to making Zindra work.  In at least my opinion, it is obvious that Linden Lab does not want to be known as an 'adult content provider,' but there is too much money on the table for them to ignore it.  I do wonder if SL should grow sufficiently if they would not split off Zindra as a wholly separate world.

On a separate note I am really surprised (well maybe really not) at the dearth of responses to this topic given what a hot button topic it was.  Another indicator of just how dead this forum has become and how many people have chosen to go elsewhere to discuss all things SL.

I liked the Teen Grid merge always did for the fact that quite a few people I knew from the Teen Grid got left behind for 1-2 years after I had transfered from the Teen Grid myself.

I believe that Teens deserve a right to explorer and shop Second Life just like Adults, however the only problem is that Linden Lab does not require ID for age verification purposes, and I have seen a few instances where Teens have lied about their age when they made their account, and they were under 18 in real life, and in a RP simulator they were getting married to this one female who believed he was actually 18 years old or didn't know. Anyways it was an RP thing I believe, but you know that some of these SL things lead into RL relationships at times, and then he told her that he was under 18, and she really feel like a pedophile because of this.

While I believe that the merge was good for another reason that it can provide an Educational experience for people under the age of 18, and they also have access to buy, sell and trade, as well as learn things from others like art designs concepts etc, maybe even start from Second Life and work their way up in a Job such as a game designer/artist or such for example which is a good thing because we need new game designers who know what they are doing honestly, but the whole bad thing is this age verify thing.

Another isntance is that Teens have access to Adult RP simulators without providing ID, and this provides perverts from this one RP simulator I previously played in in 2009 for awhile access to Teens, and allows Griefers to easily grief other residents by making age verified accounts to get into an adult area without ID.

I have repediately filed Abuse Reports on a couple Simulator Covenants  which violate the Second Life community standards, but this is way worse. Also disclaimers in your covenant, or profile do not mean anything where it be in reguards to private IM's, or something else If it breaks the TOS/CS and the person is not warned and agrees to it then it is still illegal to disclose those Im's or whatever else the discliamer might be, it might be something stupid like On this simulator you piss us off we have the right to grief you in a public sandbox, that breaks the CS/TOS for example, but nothing is done about such simulators doing such. However this  whole Age thing is way worse than all of that and I have told Linden Lab, in Abuse Reports, and their forums to please fix this for everyones sake. Covenants for example say that you should be 18 or over to play there, but because of Linden Lab, breaking age verification, there is no ID, or proof they are 18, or older, and the RP simulators don't enforce this, and they should be required by Law in any virtual game if there is adult content to require an ID for verification.

However I will say that the merge thing was a good thing to happen for a number of reasons and while it brought a lot of good things it did bring bad things as well such as Teen Grid Griefers,Trolls, and now that age verification doesnt work problems with Minors under the legal age of 18 that can easily be exposed to adult content.

At the end of the day there don't seem to have been that many teens, or they've kept to themselves.

The concern people have which is still valid is over accountability.

When speaking to someone else, its always best to know who you are accountable to. When speaking to an adult you are accountable to them. When speaking to a child you are accountable to their parent. That gets uncomfortable when you don't know which you are speaking to - and so don't know how to handle your words.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.