A few questions before I get started

ky0claw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I just created a Second Life account a few days ago. However, the computer that I am currently using is incapable of running the program (Please don't ask what I was thinking). So while I wait until I can get my own laptop fixed, I would like to ask a few questions.

For starters, what drew me to find more information were some articles about people who have found actual employment opportunities in SL. In real life, I have bad luck when it comes to finding a stable source of income. I figured that I have nothing to lose by giving SL a look. I know that the payrate is much lower than a real life job, but I'd like to know what other people's opinions are and what jobs are available.

Second, while exploring a sandbox, I noticed that the group has rules about brandishing weapons in public. This may sound like a silly question, but do rules like that apply to creating weapons too?

Third, I heard about some playable games being sold as HUDs or have to be rezzed in order to be played. Would I have to go to a specific area in order to play something so I wouldn't bother anyone nearby?

I think that those are all of the questions I have. Thank you for reading.

Welcome to Second Life and Second Life Forums, ky0claw.

When you first are able to download the Second Life viewer and log in, you will be asked to agree to a Terms of Service.  Behind every avatar is a real person, so you will find there are certain rules that apply to most places on the grid, ie no nudity, no weapons (and that might seem a little bizarre if you think we are all just cartoons in a cartoon world, but it can be very immersive - in the same way that a horror movie can make you feel sick to the pit of your stomach, for example).

You can, however, create and use anything in Second Life, but bear in mind it is absolutely impossible to know everything on your first day.  When you are logged into Second Life, there is a search facility.  Look up weapons, types of weapons even, and you'll find stores and sims where you can buy, sell and use them. 

There are employment opportunities in Second Life, but you are right in believing the pay rate is a lot lower than for real life employment.  There are a few extremely entrepreneurial folks in Second Life who have managed to make some decent earnings through land dealing and creating the types of things that people want to buy. 

Regarding games and roleplay that involves HUDs in Second Life, check out the Destination Guide for a bit more information of what is available in Second Life.  http://secondlife.com/destinations/games  Again, once you are able to log in, you just have to use a keyword in the search box and you'll undoubtedly find something that you'll want to be involved in.

You sound like you have the main ingredient for Second Life, and that's enthusiasm and desire.  I hope you are soon able to log in and start exploring, but please don't feel too disappointed if you don't make your first million within the year!

Good luck to you.

I dont really know much about jobs in SL, and hopefully someone who know more will tell. Im guessing that creators and land dealers get best moneys in SL. Becoming a land dealer require big starting investment. Content creation require some learning but it is super fun.

Privately owned sandboxes can have what ever rules they want to have. LL owned sandboxes have the "no weapons" sign and it means that you are not allowed to shoot innocent people. But you can ofcourse create weapons and even test tem on a friend who give permission to do so. LL also have separate "weapons testing sandbox" for testing weapons. Also here you need to ask peoples permissions before attacking them.

It is unlikely that HUD games bother anyone, but some games rezzed in world might annoy people. For example if they are noisy. Common sense will help you figure out if the game is bothering nearby people.

Welcome to SL. I hope you have plenty of fun years ahead of you. SL is very complex and confusing first, but you will figure it out.

Marigold's advice is right on target.  I would emphasize, as she has, that the rate of income you may get from a job in SL is significantly lower than what you can earn in RL.  In general, then, you are coming to SL for the wrong reason if you are expecting to make a lot of money.  Those of us who make a passable living here (meaning that we can pay our in-world bills and have something let over for fun) are usually (1) people with a marketable skill in building, texturing, scripting, or animating, or (2) people who have been fortunate enough to start investing in real estate with a big bankroll and have been lucky not to lose it all since then.  If you bring skills as a 3D modeller or a scripter, you can get off to a quick start.  Otherwise, it will take a while before you start to break even. Other than those sorts of opportunities, the jobs that pay best are probably in clubs.  If you are a good DJ or if you are willing to spend your hours dancing on a pole for tips, you can earn a steady income (though still a small one by RL standards). 

As far as weapons are concerned, the important thing to remember is that SL is not a game.  There are plenty of places where you can play a game or engage in role play, but those are usually well-marked.  If you play your game in other places, you will often get the local residents ticked at you, and can find yourself banned from the area.  Watch the tiny icons at the top of your screen to see whether you are in a region that is either damage enabled or one where pushing is allowed.  Those are good clues that swordplay is OK.  Still, check local covenants or ask a local resident if you are at all unsure about the region's weapons policy.  If it's OK with the locals, you can use your weapon HUD and rez weaponry as much as you want.  The same goes for sandboxes.  Read the local rules careully.

"Welcome to Second Life. My name is Melita. How can I help you?"

ky0claw wrote:

Hello everyone,

I just created a Second Life account a few days ago. However, the computer that I am currently using is incapable of running the program (Please don't ask what I was thinking). So while I wait until I can get my own laptop fixed,
I would like to ask a few questions.

Okay.

For starters, what drew me to find more information were some articles about people who have found actual employment opportunities in SL. In real life, I have bad luck when it comes to finding a stable source of income. I figured that I have nothing to lose by giving SL a look. I know that the payrate is much lower than a real life job, but
I'd like to know what other people's opinions are and what jobs are available.

It depends how talented you are and how unique the service is. There are a few choices. Oldest profession (I can't speak to pay rate or skill set there), Scripter, Merchant, Landlord. Those are the most profitable overall. Merchant, depends upon the product, since the economy is hard hit everywhere, and there are so many freebies around.

Very very few people in SL can pay their RL bills with SL earnings. Mostly work in SL provides some mad money to play or shop with in the game.

Second, while exploring a sandbox, I noticed that the group has rules about brandishing weapons in public. This may sound like a silly question, but
do rules like that apply to creating weapons too?

Depends entirely upon the sim. Read the rules when you first go to ANY sim and you can't go far wrong. Usually, building weapons is OK, but you must test them in a specifically allocated "weapons testing sandbox."

Third, I heard about some playable games being sold as HUDs or have to be rezzed in order to be played.
Would I have to go to a specific area in order to play something so I wouldn't bother anyone nearby?

Usually, although some games like that can be played anywhere in world. Usually, those involve NOT spamming or harassing non players or involving them in any way. In short they do not even know the game is going on. Players in those games usually seek  out others wearing that HUD and shoot them or whatever, silently.  It should explain that in your manual or the game's website. Most have their own websites.

I think that those are all of the questions I have.
Thank you for reading.

You're welcome. Did you enjoy the pretty pretty text colors?

This is not the place to go to seek RL income.

It can happen for some people - but its a long and slow process to build up to a point of both skill and contacts for that.

Think of SL as a hobby, social play time - and you will do much better with it. Come in here to meet people and make friends. Learn to build once you've learned to enjoy the platform - and you might get some income. But don't plan on making it a 'RL job''s worth of income.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.