Automatic following and being followed after unfriending, Not intentional!!

Simerion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I cleaned out my friends list. Now, the 9 people that I took off have been set to following me without their knowledge. I was also set to follow all of them, again without my knowledge or consent. I unfollowed them all (cuz really, how awkward is THAT?), but I am completely bummed that I can't do anything about them following me from my end. Now it is inevitable that their attention will be drawn to being unfriended and I will have to have conversations with people I barely talked to in the first place about why I unfriended them. Um, it was because we barely talk and I'm not a collector.

Does anyone know if LL is working on this already? I didn't see anything to that effect. In the meantime, check your followers and following...you might be surprised who is on there.

If anyone knows a fix, I would love to hear about it.

How would making me follow someone (and having someone follow me) that I had just unfriended be a logical part of any sane design? I remain mystified...off to search the forums again. DIdn't see it last time I looked.

7 answers to this question

But if I "unfriend" someone... on Facebook, for example... I'm no longer "following" them. The same with sites like Twitter. That makes sense to me. The way that the "feed" works just... doesn't.

@Simerion: You're not the only one who's not happy with this. http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/I-have-Followers-Wait-What/m-p/1255983

I won't disagree with you. I don't like the whole facebooky idea. My privacy settings are as tight as I can make them and I'm doing my best to keep my profile dead boring. I wish I could get people to unfollow me. Since I can't, the best I can do is to give them nothing to follow.

Hello Simerion. Personally i don't care if someone "follows" me. Sometimes it happens automatically when you accept or offer a friend request. What you can do about that?

1. You can un-follow the people you don't want to
  2. You can change the permissions in your profile under "Privacy" tab making it visible only to your friends or noone.

Although that note is there, it is not working that way. I am not blaming you personally :P I am just mentioning it for anyone else that might be reading this. Some of my friends have a follow button by them, some don't, I cant remove any followers and I am following the feeds of all my friends, despite them not being on my Following list :/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.