Jira vote on 24 hour days or 35 or 3 or...

Jo Yardley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The pre-windlight system also used to be 4 hours long (3:1), the same as it is today. It always seemed like a nice way to do it, so that everyone who logs in will be able to enjoy daylight at some point in their session (regardless of local time).

I once recall there being an SL 'year' measurement, which was 10 RL days (10*6 = 60 SL days) long. Heck if I can remember the source, though.

I always found it novel that SL daylight was unified across the grid. The idea of a world where its star is the same size across the entire surface if the landmass, and yet also infinitely far away, is a very fun concept to me. I also liked the idea that the grid was a 2D surface, stretched straight and rotating along a perfect axis. I'll admit I'm perhaps 'odd' like that.

I suppose I'm hardly the target audience of this JIRA; I've only been to 'RL-alike' sims less than half a dozen times and never wanted to try and transpose an RL location into SL, or vice-versa. And despite owning a whole bunch of land, I've never fixed the sun. I consider the four-hour day to be a basic parameter of the world, and working with it in mind is just as important as using alpha prims over staircases to stop people bumping their way up the steps.

TL;DR I get why you want it, because support for your niche is lacking. But I won't be voting because I love the system in place.

Thank you.

Voting may not help, but not voting definetly does not help ;)

The main thing is that LL should give region owners the choice to edit and set the time and day in their sim as they want.

You can always stay with 4 hour days if you want to, you can always change the setting as a visitor to how you want it.

But if you want 24 hour days, there is nothing you can do.

• 3 months later...

I was just wondering.... could a bot (with region management powers of course) be programmed to change sim windlight settings?

I know you can make bots do certain things at certain moments but changing region settings is probably too much to ask.

But... if it was possible... you could use this to get windlight settings to change when you want it and how you want it.

• 5 years later...

there is no 24 hour day cycle in windlight settings. only 4 hour day cycle. the only way to do it is with scripting. my question was: has anyone been successful at scripting a hud to create a 24 hour day cycle?

1 hour ago, K1CKZ said:

the only way to do it is with scripting. my question was: has anyone been successful at scripting a hud to create a 24 hour day cycle?

RLV/RLVa has commands to set the "time of day" that are little used, but do work.

If somebody is using an RLV/RLVa enabled viewer, you could write a hud, to constantly set the time of sl day so that a day/night cycle appeared to last 6 hours or 12, or 24 or whatever, for that user on that viewer.

Personally, bearing in mind the need to calculate the time setting increments constantly, and the need to set the time at frequent intervals to avoid the Sun/Moon jerking across the sky like crazy, such a script would be too laggy to bother with, and if you planned on, for example, giving away such a hud to every visitor to a sim, you'd want it scripted in mono, and it still wouldn't work well because a lot of people don't have RLV.

Not really worth bothering with. Wait for the EEP.

• Like 3

I can confirm that at a Viewer Development meeting (back in January or February I believe) one of the Linden's working on EEP confirmed it would include scripting features. They did not go into detail on just now involved the scripting features would be but the fact that they had already planned for it to be a feature at all makes me hopeful.

It is great that the features that I am looking for are being worked on. Its just that I am trying to do something now and cant wait another year or 2 for EEP to finally get released.

I doubt EEP will be another year or two. The last time I dropped by the viewer dev meetings, they said a test viewer would be out within 2-3 months. That was maybe two months ago. Unless the test viewer reveals a major hiccup, I expect the feature will be rolled out to everyone soon after.

6 minutes ago, Penny Patton said:

I doubt EEP will be another year or two. The last time I dropped by the viewer dev meetings, they said a test viewer would be out within 2-3 months. That was maybe two months ago. Unless the test viewer reveals a major hiccup, I expect the feature will be rolled out to everyone soon after.

I hope so too, I see this as potentially being very valuable, far more valuable than the other 2 big projects - baked-on-fail and animess.

I think there's potentially some big problems with LL's "baked on mesh" plan but unless LL really dropped the ball with animesh, that should be huge in terms of making SL more engaging. Did they do something stupid with animesh? Please don't tell me they're keeping the insanely high land impact costs.

1 minute ago, Penny Patton said:

Did they do something stupid with animesh? Please don't tell me they're keeping the insanely high land impact costs.

I believe the last was a month-ish ago:

On 4/10/2018 at 8:57 AM, Vir Linden said:

Land Impact: streaming cost = 15.0 + 1.5 * ktris + cost of non rigged prims

In last week's Server User Group meeting, per Inara Pey's blog, Rider reported that "his hope is also to have scripted per-agent Windlight settings as part of the initial deployment of EEP; however, this is TBC."

(I believe scripted per-agent Windlight will be necessary to adjust the length of the day, but I never paid much attention to the static per-parcel functionality, so I shouldn't rule that out.)

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.