Differnce between a skybox, and a regular house?

AstralBody

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all. I was just curious what is the differnce between a house, and a skybox? I know skyboxes are ment to be rezzed in the sky, but most of them have outside decorations. Is the only differnce that sky boxes have a rezz box, or do houses have that as well?

A 'rez box' or rez faux, is something that can attach to any object in Second Life. Rather, that object can be put inside it.

It's very handy. You just click a button and the thing appears for you, poof. The pieces all slide into place. 

It's often used with large items such as houses, or items that have multiple pieces that can't be hard linked. In other words, can't all be stuck together permanently into one unit. Doors, for instance, are usually not hard linked because the open scripts depend upon a door frame being the set point.

A skybox is usually a rectangular box meant for sky living. Fancier ones have rooms and yards and such.

A regular house looks more like a house you'd see in real life.

Hope that helped.

The difference? Altitude. A sky box is in the air, and doesn't touch the terrain surface, while a normal building does.

There is absolutely no other difference.

Both can be set up to spawn from a rezzer box, or could just be put in place from inventory. Both can serve the same functions, both are made the same way. They are subject to all the same rules for parcel prim limits and the like.

I've seen houses on the ground that had exteriors that looked like a plain plywood cube. I've seen skyboxes with elaborate external decorations, including walkways among prim clouds, swaying palm trees and other plants and landscaping, or delicate foot bridges connecting floating chunks of rock. The appearance of either is entirely up to the builder / owner.

A lot of people don't decorate the outside of a skybox, because it is so high that no one can see it from the ground, or fly to it reasonably from the ground. Why decorate the outside, if you always TP to the interior? Why make it look inviting to strangers, if you're seeking privacy?

Others prefer the aesthetics of a fully decorated exterior. I made a skybox once that looked like a space ship, detailed fully inside and out, and put it inside a megaprim sphere that was textured on the inside to look like outer space, and on the outside to look like the moon.

Like the name says, a skybox is a big box floating in the sky. You can put anything you want in a skybox. You can live in a house in a skybox with the bottom of the box textured like grass and the sides as a mountain scene. But you could have skyboxes that are clubs, shooting ranges, zombie infested graveyards or whatever.

There are different reasons to create a skybox, privacy and less lag being the most common ones. Another common use is to separate stiles of activities that clash, for example modern houses on a medieaval themed sim or welcoming areas+ stores in role play sims.

skyboxes are better for privacy.

Some of us, like myself, prefer a house or whatever on the ground. MY poor little avatar doesn't like to be cooped up in some box in the sky.She likes to go out of the house and run around wherever without having to fly or TP.

I think also that a lot of times skyboxes tend to be more xepensive and less prims available. take those into consideration when shopping for a place to stay.

There is one difference besides the blank wall exterior (and maybe no doors) of some skyboxes -- I make my houses with very steep foundations so if they are places on a steep hill, the foundation will touch the ground.  (But you can just stretch the foundation to make it less deep.)

MoiselleErin Teardrop wrote:

skyboxes are better for privacy.

Some of us, like myself, prefer a house or whatever on the ground. MY poor little avatar doesn't like to be cooped up in some box in the sky.She likes to go out of the house and run around wherever without having to fly or TP. [....]

Yes, the ground is outdoors for me, too, and the sky is indoors, but I do both.  When I'm spending time at my country home on the ground, I tend to be in the garden most of the time, and that's where I've put a lot of my effort (and prims) into decorating.  I retreat to my midtown condominium in the sky when I want to sit indoors listening to music or work in my shop on the upper deck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.