Marketplace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why do people do this.. ? grrr... it spoils it for the genuine builders and sellers who work hard just to make good sales.

Because they can.  Same reason some give poor reviews against their competition.  We could discuss ethics all day long but it won't stop people enjoying the minigames within SL, gaming the Marketplace being one of them.

Yup sad, specially if it is a talented builder.

Viral marketing is the way to go now: Average Joes and Jills talking about your stuff on the social media or in this case writing reviews on the marketplace. But, somewhere in our brain there is a primate who knows by instinct that survival is garanteed by being part of  a group.  It pushes us to conform and go with the general opinion. It also pushes us to find likeminded people and band together.

Applied here this means that customers are less inclined to buy stuff without reviews, not because they doubt the quality but because it is less hip or cool.-> No reviews = no big awesome tribe to join where I can be safe. Once there are some reviews and they are good, it is harder to write a bad review. All reviewers say this product is great but I feel it sucks -> I do not conform to the tribe, if I show it they may kick me out into that dangerous world again.

What that merchant is doing is seeding his review tab. Writing the first positive review to hopefully attract some happy customers who feel confident to write a positive review. After he gains a critical mass his marketing goes all by itself.

It's just the same as the "happy customers" in RL situations who happen all to be professional copywriters.

When we read reviews, we hope to get the opinion people like us who already bought the item or if we are lucky someone with technical savvy who gives his honest opinion. But what we really see is the voice of conformity speaking.

when the reviews sound like advertising i usually get a feel they are alts..

i'm gonna do more research than just their reviews if i get a feeling they are using alts to buff thier reviews..

i just find it silly that they think cheap tactics really pay off in the end..they don't..

Thanks everyone for your answers. Yes it is a shame - I guess it happens a lot and what Pamela Galli mentioned above is likely to be an accurate observation.

On the flip side, some of my favourite stores that have very successful businesses have hardly any reviews for their products on the marketplace -  but that's probably because their in world store is so gorgeous that people like to shop there :-))

Because I'm aware of the stupid way they have the Marketplace reviews and comments set up, I never bother to read any of them. So for me, the sockpuppet merchants are wasting their time.

This is yet another example of something that could be fixed by LL if they cared.

I really feel for the merchants who take care and pride in their work, making SL a better place, and fight an uphill battle most of the time to do it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.