Puzzled

Ellyn Elan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ellyn Elan wrote:

The "watch this tv show" is a new kind of spam for me to see in these forums, any forums, for that matter. 

a) Why can't they filter these out?

and

b) What is the possible incentive for the spammer? Is there some kind of monetary reimbursement for this?

(a) Yes, they could easily filter this spam out, so clearly they don't care much about it. 

(b) Don't know.

I'm sure they could, but that's too much effort to expect from LL. It's been happening for the last couple months or so, maybe longer. I haven't followed any of the links, but I have heard that supposedly you do, indeed, risk a virus or worm infecting your computer. I'm not sure what this virus or worm can do. I assume to make it worthwhile to the spammer, it's probably something capable of stealing information. Then again, some people create and release viruses just for the heck of it, so who knows?

There was another thread about this not long ago. Someone else said that the spammer is likely a bot, creating accounts using tinyurl. The same person made the point that tinyurl is all but useless in the forums, since we can post entire, long URLs without issue. So it would seem that LL could simply ban tinyurl from the forums entirely. Not sure why they won't, or why they don't seem to consider a link that sends viruses to users worth taking care of quickly, but again, that's LL for you.

Note: I am not technologically oriented at all. I'm loosely referring to something mentioned by another user, presumably more technologically oriented than myself.

From what I have understand from the security guru's I work with, these are the same people who do the same to World of Warcraft players, etc. Known as Gold Farmers who are trying to get you to go to their site and from there, they drop in Keystroke Spyware script to capture your password and username.

I know this first hand from WoW where my account was hacked and they took everything.  Since the value of gold has gone way down after the last WoW XPac, they are looking for new revenue streams.  WoW now has their Authenticator to prevent this.

They should be filtered out and can be easily but for some reason, it's beyond the scope of the current technology LL has access to.  Keep in mind that most of SL is made from 10 year old freeware.

I believe LL have made some attempt to filter some of the more commonly used words in these posts... that's why "versus" was blocked for a while.  Last time I tried typing P.r.o.j.e.c.t R.u.n.w.a.y it was also blocked... actually it still is (hence, the periods).  But these things are easy for them to get around... there has to be a better way for LL to combat this.

There have been discussions about this at CTUGs, but I don't believe a consensus was ever reached as to what should be done.  For just about every proposition that was thought of, it was quickly realized that there would be definite negative consequences for normal users.

Perhaps we should start a discussion about what we think can be done to tackle this in the Forum Feedback subforum, weigh the pros and cons and bring it up again at a future CTUG.

Meanwhile, I've noticed that these posts usually don't last too long, thankfully.

...Dres *will keep diligently RICing the bitches*

ETA: I meant to reply to the OP... oh well.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

I don't think so, Dres....FFS, how hard is it to filter out episode, season and whatever that third word is
:(

Because, what if one of us should want to use those words?  Plus, they'll just start spelling them ep isode and se ason and such.

...Dres

That consideration has never stopped LL before :(

But you are right about them improvising with spelling and so forth...

A. It's all over the place. I mod another forum and we get a lot of it. Just be happy it isn't worse. (Think, adult, with pix.)

B. Yes it's monetary (spammers are paid to spam), and also some of those sites they link to will give your computer a virus, and then they can do anything with that. Those tv watching sites are nearly always illegal.

I clicked on one the other night. The "Incredible Hulk".  I made a cocktail, lit up a cigar, tuned in - and oh my was I surprised to see John Holmes as the star. After a moment of watching I turned it off and finished my cocktail.  I thought to myself: he was kind of a hulk wasn't he? Hmmm.  The cigar was good, too.    

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.