Odd "new" glitch?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, new to me. I think someone else mentioned this once, but I can't recall where, and I don't know how long it's been happening for others. In the past week or two (maybe more, but no longer than a month, I think) I've been noticing a couple things. One, I end up with a bake fail more often than I used to. I simply stay a white cloud when I log in (or rather, white egg, since my graphics setting are on low). Two, sometimes, particularly when I experience a bake fail and have to figdet around to fix it, I end up with oddly enormous hands. My shape is modify, but I don't change anything about it; when I edit the shape, the slider is still set normally, but the hands appear quite large. This last time, I relogged and it fixed the issue.

I do use Firestorm with mesh, so perhaps this is a Firestorm issue? Has anyone with the default viewer noticed this? It's highly disconcerting...

Haven't seen the large hands happen, it may be randomly reverting you to a demo shape (demos often got big hands) you wore once before in the past. Sometimes appearance doesn't match what it says you are wearing in inventory. If so changing shape back & forth to something else could fix it quick.

I sometimes appear as a white egg when i first login, i think this kind of failure is a result of a slow or degraded connection which can happen at any place along the route between you, your ISP, and the grid.

If this is happening consistently on login, try hard-resetting your modem. That might help?

For me when something this happens, a minute or two waiting patiently & everything settles into place. I'll just walk away for a bit, grab a drink or whatever, stretch my legs & by the time i get back all's good :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

The egg thing sometimes fixes itself; usually, in fact. It's the large hands that I have an issue with. The weird thing is that everything else about the shape looks the same; it's just the hands that change, and I never tried a demo version of the shape I use. Sometimes they're extremely large (look like they might if the slider were at 100) and sometimes they're noticably larger than normal, but not absolutely enormous. I have no idea why this happens...

Haven't seen any large hands yet, but the bake fail seems a LOT more common.  I have a new fast laptop and ISP and still have it at least once a week.  I don;t remember this happening on my 5 year old PC with slower net service or even when I first got my new one.

Sometimes it fixes itself and sometimes not.  I know it won't when I look in my inventory and I'm not wearing my shape and normal skin and when I try to wear it I get the message that you can't change until  your clothes finish downloading.  But they don't unless I clear cache, relog to a quiet sim, reload inventory, then do a character test (sometimes doesn't work) then wait and dump a library avi on.  Then I can rebuild my avi.  The whole process can take 30 minutes.

I'm not the only one to notice.  Most of my friends have had issues with this too.  We've discussed it and it seems to have started not with the last server upgrade but the one before that.

Make sure your computer is not running low on memory from running an SL client many times. (clear cache and reboot before running leaky SL clients).

Clear your cache frequently. Also set your cache size to make 2048 MB instead of max.

Strange things happen to cache once the memory leaks caused by SL and other applications gob up your memory.

I have seen it on a much larger scale in the past 2 weeks my self.

A very large amount of residents showing up  nude with maybe their shoes or jewlry on. white clouds and such. The nude show ups have trippled since a couple of updates ago on my region

But large hands? I am not sure I have seen that my self

I haven't seen the large hands thing you mention. I have been a blog after logging in quite a few times, but I don't know if it has increased the last few weeks. What I do know - what helps me - is to go to the 'wearing' tab in the outfits sidebar and wait for everything to load. If I don't do that, I tend to stay a cloud, but if I activate the wearing pane, everything load pretty quickly.

- Luc -

Ann Otoole wrote:

Clear your cache frequently. Also set your cache size to make 2048 MB instead of max.

I'll try changing the cache size, thanks! I've cleared cache recently, to fix the egg problem, so I should be okay there for now. Clearing cache is a pain lately, too, since when I do I usually stay an egg even after my inventory is fully loaded. Or at least, says it is...Maybe changing cache size will help.

I remember reading about the huge hands problem here once before, and at the time thought it was odd as I'd never heard about it before. And now, here I am, same issue. Not all the time, but it's annoying! Especially not knowing why it happens or having a way to fix it other than to relog...

sounds like a variation of the pants bug.... a packet gets mangled or a cache gets corrupted and a setting on a piece of clothing (particularly pants flare) gets goofed up.... system hair bases also seem more vulnerable to this happening and usually result in the wearing seeing themselves as a white ball, but others seeing them as fine except for some funky system hair on top of their normal prim hair. (if you ever see it, ask if the person is having trouble rezzing, then tell them to change hair bases).

both case can be the result of cache corruption (it will often stay put between relogs), and is often the sign of a bad connection (or the user, or the region struggling)

Yeah, I've seen the random body parts getting large before. I had an issue with my torso muscles going to 100 back in '07. I used to see people with their heads getting large and growing over their hair. Going to the sliders and adjusting it worked for the current session. Rebaking also helped. The only permanent fix was to create a new shape and rebuild from scratch.

Lately i have been seeing baking issues a lot more. My partner can barely move to another sim without becoming a white cloud.

She suggested it was something to do with clothing layers, as it only happens with certain outfits and taking them off seems to immediately fix the problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.