Controversial Issues

robnufc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I am in the uk and new to this game, i havent even logged into play yet but i am aware of many issues surrounding this game, although this game looks very good i am considering playing as i am concerned about legal issues and stuff like that all i want is just a bit of clean gaming no issues i have read about the ratings and the diferent areas but it confuses me, i just want to know which area to go, if its possible to just have clean gaming with no issues to play and have no trouble at all

thanks

So you are saying you don't want to see anything rude ? You have to age verify to get to the adult stuff anyway, but if you open the viewer and click 'Me' then 'Preferences' the second option down in the general tab is the maturity settings. General and Moderate are probably what you want (depending on just how sensitive you are :D).... Have fun ....

SL is very like RL (real life) it doesn`t really come with a guide or a gameplan & you are just as likely to make mistakes along the way & learn from them. So just like in RL you may take a wrong turn when you are out exploring & end up somewhere you don`t want to be, but you can always press Ctrl Shift H to instantly get teleported to your home location & away from any place or situation that you don`t like or you can just hit X & logout & log back inat your home instead of your last location.

When you are new your home is set for you at one of the welcome areas, once you find your feet you will be able to find somewhere that you can choose to set your home point for yourself.

Welcome to your SL, make of it what you will ...Have fun!! :)

Welcome to SL and the forum!

You are actually safer in SL than you are in RL because you can never get sick and and die.  One person's 'controversy' is another person's fun so it is tough to imagine where you draw your line.

Peewee is right.  If you ever find yourself in a place you do not like, go elsewhere.  There are so many wonderful things to see and do.  Dive in and see!

The "game" term makes me think of MMO's and how many people, such as myself, came here from games like Warcraft. After a time i realised that all the roleplaying i did wasnt helped by the game itself and second life is the natural next step for that. It keeps the massive, online feel and gets rid of all the pointless extras, allowing me the freedom i need to make and place or persona for rp that i need.

There are a good few people languishing in MMO's who would be much better suited to second life. Often they just log on to be social, as they did indeed play the game aspect but have grown tired of it, or have completed it. Roleplayers especially.

My guild in WoW is made up of mostly social players.  They like to chat, quest and run dungeons with others but frustrate the raid contingent because they are not 'serious' enough.  /me laughs

I have raided with both social and hard core raiders and the social players are much more fun and forgiving.

The General / PG regions are usually safe for even the most sensitive of people. The only exceptions I can think of for that rule would be inappropriate items left in abandoned lots or displays of nudity you might see over the border into a Moderate/ Mature region. People can be rude anywhere, but you can always ignore them, mute them, or teleport away from them.

My advice would be to explore the regions advertised in the Showcase & if you see anything you don't like, leave & go somewhere else.  If anyone asks to bite you or do anything you find inappropriate, say No, thank-you & then ignore them. Teleport away if you need to. No one can hurt you in SL, unless you allow them to hurt your feelings. No one can make you stay where you don't want to stay either. Just teleport Home or log out.

I think you'll find that whatever tales you've heard of vice or violence in SL are greatly exaggerated.  There are a few bad places or people, but there are also many beautiful places & very nice people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.