Mesh ?? and a squeek in the dark

Camis Lee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ummm... Well except for the 10 minute visits here in SL to talk to old friends left behind, I rarely if ever visit SL in 2011. When I decided I could not stand V2 I voted with my wheels and decamped to InWorldz and Avination. I think the mesh will further level the playing field between SL and it's descendants. Those of you who like the constant turmoil and glitchs the changes here bring can surf the big waves and enjoy the ride. Others of us who like being pioneers and being in worlds where our input is welcomed and implemented will settle in cozy and less stressful enviroments. In my 5 years in SL I can't recall being asked what I would like from LL. In the competing grids they are small enough I have had an owner come to me and call a developer in as well, spending an hour to help me sort a problem. I have come to regard SL as the "Old Country". The place I was born and emigrated from to the new worlds. And one more thing.. Since I started in SL there have been two times I have logged in and found that practicaly new and rather expensiive computers were not up to minium specs following upgrades. It's not practical to shell out a thousand or more every couple years because the Linden's boffins want to dazzle with some new thingummy that I didn't really want in the first place.

Logically there can be only two reasons why LL hasn't made a 1.x-style interface an option for v2; they're either unwilling to or they're unable to. I don't think the first is the case (despite sitting in some Snowstorm user group meetings where Q and Oz Linden railed against the idea) because so many people have asked for this since the v2 launch. I don't think that it's technically possible without a massive rewrite of the underlying code.

From bits and pieces I've picked up from various third party devs it seems that v2 just isn't modular and that the UI code is very much interconnected with the other code. Otherwise it would have been possible, if not trivial, for the Lab or TPVs to implement alternative UIs. The fact that this hasn't happened to any great extent, beyond things like detachable sidebar windows, tells me that it's just not technically feasible. The Phoenix devs have flat out said that there's only so much they can do to mod the UI within v2's constraints.

It appears that we can have things like alternative skins that modify parts of v2's UI code on a "shallow" level but, as far as fundamental design changes I don't think we should hold our breath.

(This is my very simplified understanding of things. I am not a programmer although I am a IT professional. If anyone with intimate knowledge of v2 code would like to correct anything I've said, feel free!)

I say stack all the viewers with a blunt spork and we code one up here, right in the forum...lets see...uh...

I will bust out some C or maybe some other stuff....uh...I dont' know much at all....uh...ok, I will try anyway.

##################Windows an dstuff...I saw a dood do this...he made # signs and then coded a window from like scratch..HAH take that easy clicking rad gui makers!##################ah this is boring...ok, forget this bit. We can make it all command line and have it talk to us ala zork..right guys? NO, we can convert the opengl to asci and forget about windows! Just full screen it ala DOS games in win95...right?######wiat...OH, this is comments right...this stuff: ### or is it only // and */ uh....whatever. More!########

std */can't have code without viruses...viruses in programs are like death. C programmers at some point hardening thier system with a good ol sexually transmitted disease based virus warning! I have seen this stuff...like 'std out', which is all meta and stuff based on how viruses work. It might mean 'outward' based detection needed, like...uh, genital warts! yeah. Good practive to warn teh compiler, because at some point viruses will get into the program...it seems to always happen.  Practice safe meta comiler sex codes peoples...always start with declaring there WILL be viruses, they will screw up your system SO "man the condoms compiler! There might be STD's afoot!" wow....a long comment here!*/

void stuff*/there has to be voids, otherwise there will be nothing ot fill...once again, sort of a sexualish based thing going on here! C has lots of dirty stuff in it, fiddling with bits and STD's and any number of stuff that is all meta sex based...basically, femists at AT&T made this right after COBOL...it is hardcore rebellios stuff man! */

private variables and stuff */self explalnitory, these are private varaiables for doing stuff...add any you feel will be needed when you add stuff. It is private parts here, once again...YES C is SOOO rude and sexual some varaibles need protectionfrom the general population of code and try to hide...they really do NOT want to get screwed and be changed for life!*/

class.open.viewer.executeawseomness */basically someone willneed to code up all these classes..I will maybe engineer this....but we can sort of let this all be like group drunk finger painting on a big wall...I like to call this SCRUB.....you first use UNAGILE, which is basically a sort of analogy of where we take on a programming taskj that is HUGE, like one of those sumo suits people wear for fun and wrestly each other. This makes you UNagile, slow and builds you strength and chops as a programmer! Of course, since i started this I only bring the suit, so to speak. It is up to all of you to be UNAGILE and fill your fat sumo suites with code and then run. We wil have a survival off the fatest going on here, the code that is the wickedest, phatest code (of course, less crashes BUT...if the crashes are funny or have funny errors and make good user anger based comments back...totally PHAT, this is what many software endevours are for..people need alittle stress now and then..so please keep this in mind. OK, now...for the SCRUB part...this is where we all code right here in the forum and the idea is good code will be hacked out ina HUGE messy mess and will be amazing and will work when restarted 3 times and has an extra pointer added for no reason..yes, random stuff that makes no sense. BUT, the SCRUB proccess is where we find the n00b and really picky people who start to complain..the then SCRUB the code and make it all clean and throw out the stuff no one knew why was there...then it will get bugs. THen we put the odd code back in...of course this adds more mess...like a big wall that is covered in drunk fingerpaintings! with Unagile and SCRUB we can make software that is JUST like the industry BUT have a new paradigm...which isi important at some odd secret consultant olypics in which we get points for Paradigm, Out of Boxness and ROI inhansment. Of course, we will only have to guess this is working....but that will be fine, because whenthe RULES of hte game change, they will be there to tell us more about things so we can switch to something that will be a game changer...which makes me wonder why we want to change the game if the game already changed and THEN I figured it out...if WE change the game all of the other losers will have to catch up..until they change it!!! SO, UNAGILE and SCRUB are sort of temporary...so have fun with it. end of comment*/

class.zorkify.textwithcolorcodedmagicfunascivideomakerizer.detectallstuffinallofSL.NOW */basically we need to have a class that creates the zork like descriptions and also gives us asci stuff....in one single class or object, I am not sure which and the new free UNAGILE way of doing things, when used with SCRUB will work great..the scrub teams will fix this and redo the entire class and all of the code that used or called it IF it needs to be in two....and of course then they wil introduce MORE bugs and all will return to do mnore UNAGILE drunken fingerpaintiing style code work RIGHT here in the Answershelp/forum/blog/knowledgebase/IDE !!!! Aren't websites awsome! */

*/uh...what is the rest..I am running out of C now....

*/Maybe we need a array somewhere? I can't remember how to declare one...:( wow, this is sad..../me sniffles and cries.

uh..you guys can take over if ya want. :( uh..yeah....have fun, make sure you take on HUGE amounts of code and overlap each other by tonnes so the scrub team can have something ot dig thier teeth into! Go programm and stuff!! We will show that mesh how to make real time ROFcopters across peopels screens in 80 spaces an stuff! Isn't Forum/answers/blogs/knowledgebase/IDE a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

LL needs to fix what is wrong in all viewers before adding new options, i hate the new viewer i was forced to use  i miss phoenix it was so  easy to get around, im on firestorm now waiting for the mesh to come in only so i don't see a world of doughnuts as u say lol, i refuse to give into LL and use there viewer,  i pay their bills monthly as u say to keep their lights on and im sick of all the having to change viewers constantly because they add new stuff just trying to make another buck, in time i know firestorm will have mesh and thats kewl to see stuff but i also refuse as a merchant to buy mesh products as they want more then they charge for sculpties and your waisting your lindens because you can bet you won't make a good enough profit off them, charging 3k for a mesh tshirt that u can only sell for100L if you are lucky will take forever to get that 3k back in the bank, think about it people.......yes it is kinda a neat feature that other 3D games have had forever but is it really worth that much linden? personally sorry to my faithful purchasers but i will not be going with the new mesh look id rather keep my prices low and still have u looking great the old fashioned way ;)....and ty to the firestorm makers , i know you did the best you could to keep it looking like phoenix and it was fault only by LL that it is a bit diff.........as you had to follow their rules and regulations....... again ty for keeping me off LL viewer

go to firestorm, its alot like phoenix and i hear they are making it mesh compatable soon, so we just have to hang in their i know they were tryin hard to keep it like phoenix but like everything else LL farked that up too, but it is close, an they have a really nice tutorial video on how to make it look really close to phoenix........im only using it so i dont see doughnuts or id stick to phoenix the best viewer i have found............and if you think your better then old phoenix users anyone reading this piss off atleast i dont have to use LL viewer and show them support for a crap viewer as i keep paying their bills monthly,

i will continue to support the phoenix/firestorm team

I went to the Firestorm basics class yesterday at Junkyard University (part of Junkyard Blues SIM complex) and have to say it was awesome.

I've been using Firestorm for around 6 weeks now and it did take a bit of getting used to.  Their are still some tasks that I go back to Phoenix to do but for my general puttering around SL now I am hooked on Firestorm.  AFTER just a LITTLE BIT of tweaking, I rez 10 to 20 % faster and average 10 FPS faster.  And cranking up to ultra on graphics barely slows me down.

I highly recommend these classes for any one who is interested.  They are presently scheduled for Sundays at 3PM SLT.  I've been in SL for over 4 years now and was still astounded by how much I learned there about SL just in general.

For me personally, I have found that the minor learning curve I have gone through adapting to Firestorm has been well worth my while. 

disclaimer:  while I may sound like a Firestorm 'fanboi,' I do still fully support, "Your World, Your Choice of Viewers."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.