Copy Bot hair on XL ..UGH!

Brooke Portilo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have purchased 1500 l's worth of hair from xl street that was FULL PERM... only to find out that the hairs are all copybot.. and from some very popular hair shops.. i am very disapointed in this.. i have removed all the hair and want a refund.. but i guess i was just a fool...there are actually people here that enjoy CREATING.. and building.. their own items.. and they work very hard at it.. SHAME ON you!

BEWARE.. done get fooled like me... 

I'd get the ticket opened right away.  I read their MP store listing and could barely understand the English translation however, when I see a description written that sloppy, I usually assume something is up.

if they are copybots, I would contact the creators who made them and not the person you bought them from.

i am sorry this happened to you. and i totally agree with what you're saying. i just want to advice you to remove the seller's name from the post, as it is against community guidelines. don't want you to be in trouble on top of all this.

i hope you get your money refunded and that this person gets what's coming to them.

Brooke Portilo wrote:

thanks alot.. i have contacted only 2 creators.. not sure where the rest of the hair came from.. but 2 are very popular hair shops.. it sounded to good to be true... i got fooled. i was just looking to where to submit a ticket?

People discovering this sort of thing sometimes post pictures of the items in question over at SLU, either in the General Forum or the Intellectual Property subforum,  asking for help identifying the original creators.

YOu can't always tell, but reputable merchants usually will have info about their business in their profle, have an inworld presence more often than not, not have a brand new account, etc.

I would not accept anything the origin of which I did not know.

I just had a "discussion" with a friend on this a couple of weeks ago when he said that just because someone gives you a box of free skins or hair doesn't mean it's stolen.

It's a bit harder when you get items from MP because you would like to think that most people are legit businesses. But when you think of the average cost of a single hair color pack is about 200L...if someone gives out a huge pack for a really low cost, that would be suspect. Also, most people who sell hair, sell lots of hair, not just one or 2 items.

I always like to see if they have an inworld presence as well (although I am aware majority of sales come from MP and I think this is how copybotters get so much business), as well as look at their profile. Most copybotters' profiles are empty, as to not call attention to themselves or to make it look like an "abandonded" account.

And then sometimes, if you know popular hair makers, sometimes you will just know that someone is selling something very similar to a hair that you have seen, maybe even own yourself.

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

If someone would be so kind...  How can you tell if something you bought or were given is copybotted?  How would I find out?  I have been given many things by 'helpful' people.

I good question and note always easy.  A is often the case, if the deal seems too good to be true it probably is but other guides as to whether an item is copybotted include:-

Does the creator have a profile that shows credibility in the market they are operating, do they have an inworld presence?  Picks to shop, paragraphs that relate to what they do?

Inspect the object, when were the prims created, were they all created within a second or so of each other.  Yes some objects will be made by script and so parts of the build will be close together but it's an unusual item where the whole object in entirety is made within seconds.

Then there's the small issue of who the actual copybotter is.  Just because the prims have a name on doesn't mean they were the copier.  One simple explanation is that they had a full perm prim from someone else and replicated that to form the object, thus making it look like someone else was the copier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.