Hmm So about Vendors..

amarock Amat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Am curious on folks thoughts on vendors, Ive seen alot use hippo yet the script count seems rather high. Still unsure how or which way I want to set this up. I like the hippos options especially IF I want to start up a reseller , I just feel guilty of eating away at a Sims resources with such a high SC.

The Hipp Vendor system isn't as bad on resources as others I have seen but anything that needs to call out for data is going to add a lot to resources and is about the only way to set up resellers unless you want to create your own.

When I have resellers (and this is very selective) I do a rev share script instead.

As such, I tend to go toward to the more basic vendors that do not share a server and does not need to communicate with other scripts.  The downside is a little more work where I have to create a vendor them when I update them, I need to go replace each vendor at each location but that really isnt much work considering the resources is saves.

I switched back to basic (1 prim) vendors long ago.  And never regretted this. They are reliable, low lag (i mean low) and low in prim count. On the fly i changed the way how i name my products (i use letters and numbers in stead of names) and use a single vendor for a single product group. That way it is a piece of cake to update the config notecards (copy & paste last line, then only change the numbers). All together i feel i have a lot less to do in comparison to the hippo one. Or maybe i just like the simple no-nonsense way. Oh, and the system i use is available for about L$ 125 :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

I am not sure how a single prim vendor could allow you to scroll through objects but it could be done, I'm just not sure how you would do the graphics as it would need a macros done that sets the selection points on the prim you need to touch.

The one I use has 5 prims I think, two for the back and forward buttons, one for the screen, one for Information and once for the base.  You touch the image on the screen to buy.

It's been great, low lag, fully mod and I can make as many copies as I want.  I believe I paid something around 100L for it on MP about 3 years ago and it's been working since.  I've even used it for freebies and support supplies as well as an information kiosk.

You can IM me in world and I can look up who made it.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

I am not sure how a single prim vendor could allow you to scroll through objects but it could be done, I'm just not sure how you would do the graphics as it would need a macros done that sets the selection points on the prim you need to touch.

Type: Box

Path Cut;

B: 0.375

E: 0.875

Hollow: 65

Size Y: 0.01

:matte-motes-big-grin:

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

Quite easy really, a single prim scrolling vendor can be made if you think of it this way (not precise but to give the idea).  Make a Triangle shaped prim with width, then flatten it so now you have two forward facing faces.  One of those has the product texture displayed on its face, the other has the texture for "buttons" which are detected by llDetectedTouchUV to work out where on the face it was touched for forwards or backwards.

(Edit: In between my crash while posting, someone gave better steps for that :) )

Personally I loathe scrolling vendors.  I rarely scroll through them unless it's a colour set.  Scrolling is far too time consuming waiting for textures to rez when i'm shopping and I assume the same frustration would be experienced by customers.  Plus, they are ok if all the products have the same sales value by volume.  It's no good having prime products being left undisplayed while some minor insignificant product is on full display.

Plus, some such as hippo are so easy to accidentally pay the little picture and you end up purchasing the big picture item.  More hassle with incorrect purchases to deal with.

I favour single prim network vendors.  Our affiliates can get a live view of our top 30 mainstore selling products which is useful for them if they have limited prims to work with, it gives them a good idea of what to concentrate on.

Hello,

while I do make (among other types) a gridwide networked vendor, here's a simple way to make a one prim vendor that does multiple products too:

Just rez a normal box and set the Z-Axis to 0.01, then taper X to 0.2. If you use llDetectedFace you can detect if one of the now showing faces is touched and use that to page. If you want to extend on that you can also taper Y and get two more touchable faces...

Enjoy

Torgon

For a  single prim scrolling vendor - 

These are very low lag, copyable and only L$49 including the ability to "buy gift". They also offer near instantaneous scrolling.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

• 1 month later...

You could check out my system, CasperVend.  It's a powerful system but designed to be very low impact, only one script per vendor (and one per dropbox / server).

You can try it and find out if it's right for you, if you like.. try the free version (5% transaction fee) or check out the features of the complete bundle.

As always, i'm available in SL if you have any questions, as are my staff.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.