Backing up my inventory?

Mercury Madsen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

No dear. Everything is stored in the SecondLife, servers? All the content and data that is your inventory is only there because it is sent to you from the servers, which is why you can log in to any computer and access your inventory. It is like having online storage.

You can only back up specific types of inventory, and then often with difficulty.  If you have copy/mod permissions for the contens of notecards and scripts, for example, you can cut and paste them into Notepad  and save them as text files on your hard drive. (Actually, you can also export scripts directly to an external editor with some viewers as well, if you have permissions.)  If you have full permissions, you can also download textures to your hard drive. 

Second Life the program does not reside on your computer.  It resides on Linden Lab's computers/servers.  The only thing that is installed (and resides) on your computer is the viewer.  It's nothing more than a specialized browser with specialized features (those features differ slightly on many of the thrid party viewers).  It's just like Internet Explorer, Firefox, Oprah, Safari, Chrome or any other web browser.  All the content you see on the Internet is delivered to your computer via the browser (and never are installed on your computer)...........the SL viewer(s) are no different in that way.  There's very little you can "backup" to your computer as Rolig mentioned.  If you are a content creator then your creations should also be saved to your hard drive before uploading......anything else that can be saved to you hard drive are dependant on the permissions set by the creator.

Linden Lab "looses" very little content.  Your inventory is just about as safe and any other web based storage found on the Internet.  And, LL provides that storage free for everyone......Basic as well as Premium accounts.

There used to be a program that was accepted and legal for doing this but it was designed for full perm objects, especially those that designers had created in Second Life and didn't want to lose. I never used the product as there was controversy and it was fairly expensive to purchase.

I believe those types of programs and features in viewers have now been deemed BAD and banned. I remember reading about that but since I never used them, I wasn't paying close attention.

You CAN protect yourself in other ways however -- up to a point.

If you are a content creator, of course keep all your original files (that is pretty obvious).

If you have full perm textures that you have purchased AND HAVE PERMISSION TO DO SO (READ THE END USE LICENSE ) you can make copies of those onto you hard drive. If you lose them it will cost you $10 each up upload again but presumably that would be cheaper than purchasing again.

Any items that you do not want to lose (honestly doing this for everything would be very time consuming) that you have COPY ability for, store a copy in world on your own land. Rez a NEW box (important but not going into why here :D) and drag the items you want to save into the contents tab. Store the box on your land. If you have more items next week or next month, rez a NEW box and  do the same. This only works with copy items.

Also for copy items, make a folder in your inventory for backups. I have mine by year and by category. So 2011> clothing, 2011> household etc. Put copies (preferably the original unpacked box to save inventory space) in those folders. A couple of months ago I lost thousands of items (my whole House and Garden folder). Happily many of the items that were COPY were retrieved from my personal backup folders in my inventory.

No Copy items? Not much you can do. Rez them in world if you can. Inventory loss can happen there too, but not as often.

well..... IT IS POSSIBLE and i have done it myself,

and NO, its not "copybot" capable....

note that only the objects you have full permissions or that you made can be saved in your harddrive (you as creator, as long as they are full permissions- wich is, if you have rights to modify and you link a root prim to make your name as creator in order to "stole" a creation= no worthy, will not work! you will allways need to have FULL PERMISSIONS) 

other thing is that it saves the objects and other items wich you might not be abble to open outside second life, depending on the programs you have, but even, not that easy...

althought....

imagine a builder, with month or even years of work lost because something happened... would be a mess....so...

in the third party viwers in the SL wicky,

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

if you scroll down.... you will find the "stored inventory" viwer, its payed, but it allows you to save your creations for a major issue...

now... other residents say: well, but you have your items in your hard drive before you uppload them...

´well... if you upploaded 100 tga mapps to make prims, made them in-world and took 1 month to assemble them and linking them to flexy SL prims in order to made a beautifull creation.... if you loose it, you will need to START IT ALL OVER!!!! upploading the 100 tga's, assemble all toguether, make the scripts, texturize.... well... i gess im pretty clear in this.

Hope i could help you!

Anjo

The program that Anjo is referring to is called Second Inventory.  It still exists and is available at http://www.storedinventory.com/ .  You should note that you can only use it for backing up full perm items that you have created yourself.  LL's TOS prohibits exporting items that you didn't create, so Second Inventory has built-in filters that keep you from violating that rule.  

• Like 1

It's important to note that Rolig said "you can use if for backing up full perm items that you have created yourself." That's two conditions that must be met. You created it and it's full permissions. If your alt created it and set to full perms then your main cannot use Second Inventory to copy to your hard drive............even though you and your alt are the same person. My alt has uploaded and created items more than my main (me) so my main (I) cannot use the program to copy to my hard any of the content my alt created.

Firestorm viewer not anly allowed me to export items from SL to my computer as it also allowed to rezz them back at Kitely, where I moved to

But only what I built - For example I did it with a whole 211 prims tram I built on SL but since door scripts and seats scripts were not mine (I bought them on SL to specific stores) the Tram rezzed perfectly on Kitely but it had no doors neither sit balls

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.