Second Life needs a lighter official viewer

Dom Mystiere

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dom Mystiere wrote:

"People have been asking for a light weight viewer for at least 5 years now".

Second Life has been losing millions of users for at least 5 years now.

Maybe just a coincidence or...

So you'd think LL would have made one if they could years ago...

See, I can play that ellipsis game too. I'm still waiting for you to explain how to make the viewer faster. Go ahead, take your time. In less than a year we'll have phones that are fast enough to run the current viewer.

Whether we know about how big computers used to be or not or whether we just learned about it on our own is irrelevant, the point was technology changes and gets better and more accessible to the masses, so yes eventually SL will be able to run on the crappiest of setups because the most crappiest of setups will probably be really cool, comparatively speaking...but then SL will probably be way more advanced as well, so there will still be a disparity gap.

You can think of it like complaining to porshe for not making a cheap inexpensive version of their car that gets 100 miles a gallon so everyone can drive super fast, or some other silly comparison like that.

Dom Mystiere wrote:

Don't waste your time here, friends, since you are so helpfull please go help users with high specs computers that, nevertheless, keep crashing with Viewer 2 all the time.

I saw your little edit there, changing "kids" to "friends"

There are several reasons why people crash on viewer2. Sims going down, griefers, people with hacked clients crashing others, someone wearing a texture meant to crash people, someone wearing a sculpty meant to overload graphics cards, people wearing multiple attachments all with particles streaming from them, people with hacked clients crashing others via voicechat, people who get banned will sometimes get crashed when the ban happens, an avatar hack that someone wears and crashes everyone around them, they dont meet the system requirements (the worst computer you can get), and the list goes on. None of the items I listed would be fixed if there was a lighter veiwer that you would be able to SEE inworld. Even a light version would not be able to support many different computers with low specs.

There is why there are Third Party Viewers.

They are offcial, as they are approved by Linden Labs.

I dont like V2, it just annoys me so i dont use it.

Just stop being an idiot, and expect the lindens to do a job to fit your pc spec cos that is not gonna happen, and find a viewer that allows you to use SL in your current machine.

People always come and go but i assure you that is not because V2 is light or heavy in their machines because  there are third party viewers to fix that,, i would bet more in money and other unpopular actions LL made.

Grow up and adapt yourself to the world you want to fit in, doesnt work the other way around mate, the world wont adapt to you.

Aww, for what its worth, Dom, you pretty much just became the focus point for what has been heard over and over again from many others, you are not alone in your views and as a result you got answers that although they applied to your post, may or may not have applied to you personally. Second Life is ultimately meant to be enjoyed, and many of us prefer to enjoy it to its fullest capabilities. I don't want Second Life to make itself easier to use, I want to learn how to use it to its fullest potential, and as someone else mentioned, there are third party viewers available to suit the other points of view, see? That's why I gave you that link in my original post. Kinda to let you know that what you want already exists, even though its not "official."    

Dom Mystiere wrote:

Second Life needs a 
graphical
lighter viewer designed for notebooks and other low specs machines.

In other words, a "Second Life Viewer Lite" or what else you want to call it, so anyone can access to the metaverse.

Who's with me? Let's make this a petition to the Linden Lab, please.

Thank you.

How many people have you got on your petition so far, Dom?

There's plenty of people working (with Linden Lab) on different kinds of viewers. Maybe they will make a viewer that has no user created content at all and it will run perfectly smoothly on the lowest spec computer.

If you look back into the history of Second Life, right to the very beginnings, it didn't take such a high end computer to run it, because it was so basic, but over the years it has grown and grown, and more and more features have been added, and unfortunately it has become heavier graphically.

I am sure the day will come when I will be "priced out" of Second Life because of my increasingly inferior machine, and going onto a text-only client won't be right for me, but in the meantime, I love my Second Life exactly as it is.

Constructive discussions and suggestions for improvements are always most welcome at the User Group sessions. You should come along and add some input.

Details of those available can be found here ...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:User_Groups

I think that would be more beneficial than a petition. Just my humble opinion. Of course.

Try  viewer 1.23 that runs on many of my 8 year old notebooks and even on my 10 year old PC speed isnt everthing they will be working on a low graphic viewer option trust me LL actually ran a beta of some sort of web java or flash to load the world but I dont know how that went because only USA could try it somthing to that affect anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.