Second Life needs a lighter official viewer

Dom Mystiere

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second Life needs a graphical lighter viewer designed for notebooks and other low specs machines.

In other words, a "Second Life Viewer Lite" or what else you want to call it, so anyone can access to the metaverse.

Who's with me? Let's make this a petition to the Linden Lab, please.

Thank you.

Just because you want something doesn't mean it's possible. The viewer on low settings is already as light weight as its going to get, there is literally nothing left to cut out and still get an image on the screen. If your hardware can't run the viewer on low settings buy faster hardware. Seriously smart phones are almost fast enough to run the viewer, if your notebook can't handle it that's because it's a piece of junk that should be thrown out.

Sorry, but normal sl on low graphics is the best deal you're going to get without loosing the ability to see inworld. I know you want people to respond and be like "Yeah!!! They should do that!!! Totally radical!!!" so on and so forth, but its just not possible. I know you're really excited because its YOUR idea and you want people to agree with you, but we have to be reasonable and know that we cant expect certain things from the way in-world is set up.

Dom Mystiere wrote:

Please, let me say something that should be obvious: if you are not with me on this, just ignore this message.

In other words you only want a circlejerk of a people agreeing with you.

Here's a question for you. What do you suggest LL cut out to make the viewer faster. Be as detailed as possible as to why you think it will make things faster while not having a major impact on user's inworld experience.

My laptop is about three years old and it runs Viewer 2, Phoenix, and Firestorm just fine. Multiple instances at once, when I want it to.

I've heard many people say that when you buy a computer, it's obsolete before you even walk out the door with it. Perhaps it's time to get yourself a "less obsolete" one? Or should Microsoft build its operating systems to fit your specs for all eternity, too?

ETA: My desktop is a couple years older, and it's chugging along, too.

Dom Mystiere wrote:

This is how newcomers are treated
:)
No respect at all for different opinions.

But when the time SL is been turned into a desert, with no residents, you will shout out loud in your loneliness: "Yeah!!! Totally radical!!!"

I was actually being nice and you're being sarcastic. Listen, you will NOT get what you want to hear. You're asking for something that is IMPOSSIBLE. SL will not cave to you because YOU want to use some POS machine to run SL. Get a better computer and get rid of your attitude.

EDIT: Hrmmm that sounds a little harsh, but I think its the tough love the OP needs

Dom Mystiere wrote:

You all are very agressive.

If you are so sure that is impossible and stupid to ask for a lighter viewer you should calm down.

From what I've read, everyone is calmed down. You're the one getting offended. :P

Lol, when I first read your post I was gonna post a little video clip of one of those bells going off, like for a boxing match or something :) Second Life is a virtual reality whose soul is a graphical rendering of vast amounts of computer code. It is still evolving, give it time, your dream will come true. Computers used to be stored in rooms, one computer, now we hold them in our hands. In the meantime, do not declare in a forum of Second Life residents that their world be scaled down to suit the needs of those who will not or cannot meet the minimum system requirements, it will only serve to prolong and hinder the realization of your dream.

Dom Mystiere wrote:

Yes, I'm just an user.

And you? Are you a programmer? 

Do you work for LL?

There's nothing wrong with being a user. There are plenty of users that understand how all this works. The TPVs are all made by users and look how great they are.

People aren't being very receptive of your idea for several reasons. The first is that you are far from the first person to suggest this. People have been asking for a light weight viewer for at least 5 years now. But not one person who as asked for a light weight viewer has been able to point at some part of the viewer and say "That part, cut it out and things will be faster without ruining user's inworld experience".

The second reason is that the viewer already works on a wide variety of hardware, including many lowend machines that other games stopped supporting years ago. Yet here you are asking for even more. Have you stopped to consider that maybe LL already supports everything within reason? That maybe it's just not possible to get the viewer to run on anything slower? Have you considered the cost of supporting these machines if it was possible? Maybe LL has looked at the numbers and seen that less than 1% of users have such slow machines so the added business from them wouldn't offset the cost of supporting them. Did you consider any of this before posting your great whizbang idea?

"Your computer must meet these REQUIREMENTS, or you may not be able to successfully participate in Second Life."

http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

This is to be able to SEE inworld. If you dont meet the requirements, chances are the viewer will not lot you in, or it will crash upon logging in.

If you do not meet those requirements, then the only option is to get a text-based viewer

"A light weight, text only viewer for Second Life. It's designed to resemble and function as an instant messaging client, that can be used in an office environment, on low performance/bandwidth computers, or when multiple instances are needed."

Dom, stop being so belligerent, and maybe people will talk to you nicely. It's not because you are new, it's because you are being nasty and defensive. Here's why what you are asking for will not happen:

First, a caveate: I absolutely abhor Viewer 2, and will not use it. That said, LL is committed to Viewer 2, and is spending all their time trying to make it do amazing things, both on the server side (their side) and on the client side (your side). And they are not standing still. They want to continue to add new features as computing power becomes more robust, and it will. Should they be hamstrung because some new user decides to be petulant and snippy? No.

There are features - like shadows - that even now don't work on my computer, and it's not that old, and it's very powerful. But the technology requires more than I have. Of course I wish it would work on my computer, but it doesn't. I deal with that by creating my own shadows, and that's that. A couple months ago, my video card died, and I was forced to use an old computer to work. I would run no viewers of any kind. It also didn't run any modern browser. Poor me, boo hoo. I got a new card, and all's well.

It is an absolute truth that technology changes rapidly, and what was once an expensive powerhouse will, in a relatively short amount of time, become a ginormous paperweight. That's life.

You haven't described your setup, but it seems to me you have either a low-end computer or an old computer. That is not LLs problem, and that is certainly not our problem. It is totally your problem, and you're going to have to solve that problem on your own, so kindly stop berating people here.

Is that what you want to hear? No. But is it the truth? Yes.

Dom Mystiere wrote:

"People have been asking for a light weight viewer for at least 5 years now".

Second Life has been losing millions of users for at least 5 years now.

Maybe just a coincidence or...

People come and go daily, alot stay. You're just making up numbers to prove a point you dont have.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.