A Safe Thread to Complain About PBR

1 hour ago, WeFlossDaily said:

I think you are right about the time-frame. Idk about the games.

If you've never seen PBR in action before seeing it here, definitely look those games up on YouTube and check them out. I don't know if that's how it's going to look here in SL when all is said and done (when we get our new lighting or whatever the plans are), but it'll give you an idea of what it can do.

It's definitely nice. I'm not sure about performance in those instances as I've not played those games other than WoW, but I don't think it's too demanding. RDR2 came out in 2018, so it definitely doesn't require the latest hardware to run.

Our own PBR will most likely get better once everything is all finished. I believe we're still in a bit of a transitional phase right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

If you've never seen PBR in action before seeing it here, definitely look those games up on YouTube and check them out. I don't know if that's how it's going to look here in SL when all is said and done (when we get our new lighting or whatever the plans are), but it'll give you an idea of what it can do.

It's definitely nice. I'm not sure about performance in those instances as I've not played those games other than WoW, but I don't think it's too demanding. RDR2 came out in 2018, so it definitely doesn't require the latest hardware to run.

Our own PBR will most likely get better once everything is all finished. I believe we're still in a bit of a transitional phase right now.

I am kind of curious.

• Like 2

Feel fee to IM me in-world or DM here if you would like to resolve this personal dispute, Love Zhaoying. If you would rather not do that please stop targeting me with your passive aggressive behavior. I don't like it and I have no idea why I must be constantly subjected to it.

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Merely something to consider.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

oO a rabbit hole. =]

LMAO yeah, a bit. I totally forgot about Detroit: Become Human, too. That's a gorgeous-looking game and visually holds up well even in 2024. 

Microsoft Flight Sim is a given, too, but fair warning - that one MIGHT set a PC on fire. It's beefy, lol.

Under the ideal circumstances, PBR looks really good. The real problem we run into here (performance aside, which hopefully will work itself out as things get updated) is it's so dang hard to get the ideal conditions for it since everything is user-made and everyone's running their own EEPs. 😩

• Like 2

PBR water followed me home from a shopping trip and hurt my eyes!

Sounds preposterous....but it's true!  lol

I went to that PBR fifty linden place and returned home and my water there on my regions was a blinding white!  Water does follow us around from one sim to the next, a known bug, but this was the white PBR thing.

Microsoft Flight Sim is a given, too, but fair warning - that one MIGHT set a PC on fire. It's beefy, lol.

/me shakes my head nooo. lol

Under the ideal circumstances, PBR looks really good. The real problem we run into here (performance aside, which hopefully will work itself out as things get updated) is it's so dang hard to get the ideal conditions for it since everything is user-made and everyone's running their own EEPs. 

I guess LL could always force compliance on our part and make us become optimized. Avatars. Items. Terrain. Textures. Scripts. Everything. Might be a possible solution (I'm joking, imagine the outrage that would follow a cap on avatar complexity).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

(I'm joking, imagine the outrage that would follow a cap on avatar complexity).

Simple answer to that problem is to give sim owners the tools to evaluate how laggy their guests can be so sim owners enforce it instead of LL.

Personally, I'd have no problem putting in lag limits on my guests - Why should I pay nearly 15,000L$ a week for a sim just so some random entitled guest can come lag it up for everyone? I'd be more than happy to let that guest be 'outraged' outside my sim!

Edited by Extrude Ragu
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

/me shakes my head nooo. lol

Yeah, I haven't even downloaded it to play around yet. Last I checked, it's free on Game Pass. I'm sure it's gorgeous buuuut...yeah.

3 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

I guess LL could always force compliance on our part and make us become optimized. Avatars. Items. Terrain. Textures. Scripts. Everything. Might be a possible solution (I'm joking, imagine the outrage that would follow a cap on avatar complexity).

I hate to say it, but unless some things are standardized (lighting especially), it's going to be difficult to implement consistently good PBR across the entire grid. Some sims might look fantastic, but then you teleport somewhere else annnnnd...

It's just the nature of what we're dealing with here. The same way some sims are fully meshed out and new and others haven't been updated since 2005. Not much we can do about that. I don't think it's possible to have a fully consistent environment in SL and that's what makes PBR kind of a tricky thing to implement, IMO. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

Feel fee to IM me in-world or DM here if you would like to resolve this personal dispute, Love Zhaoying. If you would rather not do that please stop targeting me with your passive aggressive behavior. I don't like it and I have no idea why I must be constantly subjected to it.

I had you on ignore and got curious so read this post..almost none of my posts in the last 1/2 day were directed at you. How sad.

2 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Simple answer to that problem is simply give sim owners the tools to evaluate how laggy their guests can be so sim owners enforce it instead of LL.

Personally, I'd have no problem putting in lag limits on my guests - Why should I pay nearly 15,000L$ a week for a sim just so some random entitled guest can come lag it up for everyone? I'd be more than happy to let that guest be 'outraged' outside my sim!

I'm in full agreement.

I think was was a thread about an avatar lag cap at Freebie Galaxy not that long ago.

Perhaps PBR will force some of the problems with unoptomized mesh/avatars to be fixed.

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I had you on ignore and got curious so read this post..almost none of my posts in the last 1/2 day were directed at you. How sad.

Sure.

I'll put it this way.

I'm sick of your smug attitude.

If you want to keep on, I will move on to reporting you for harassment.

I consider the issue resolved.

23 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I hate to say it, but unless some things are standardized (lighting especially), it's going to be difficult to implement consistently good PBR across the entire grid. Some sims might look fantastic, but then you teleport somewhere else annnnnd...

And that's on top of everything else.

I guess I have less to worry about then I thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WeFlossDaily said:

And that's on top of everything else.

I guess I have less to worry about then I thought.

Well, I'd just say keep an open mind. It's still early in the game and we've got a ways to go before it's all finalized and optimized as best as it can be. Right now, I'm not seeing how it'll work, but maybe there'll be an update that smooths things out a bit more. Hard to say.

I hope I'm not cluttering up your complaint thread with my cautious optimism. I just think it's a wait and see situation more than anything right now. The good news is we've got options to not deal with PBR in the meantime, so that's a plus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Simple answer to that problem is to give sim owners the tools to evaluate how laggy their guests can be so sim owners enforce it instead of LL.

You already kinda-can with a script, and there are already systems that will boot people over a certain render weight (along with script count, script memory and such), though render weight is uh, notoriously not a brilliant metric.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Well, I'd just say keep an open mind. It's still early in the game and we've got a ways to go before it's all finalized and optimized as best as it can be. Right now, I'm not seeing how it'll work, but maybe there'll be an update that smooths things out a bit more. Hard to say.

I hope I'm not cluttering up your complaint thread with my cautious optimism. I just think it's a wait and see situation more than anything right now. The good news is we've got options to not deal with PBR in the meantime, so that's a plus.

It's okej. Probably, this is one of those threads the mods would prefer we went off topic. And we do need a little hope here. I'm kind of surprised they let this thread stand, all things considered, and I'm glad they did. If you read Porkys take on it, he hit it right on nail when he said the PBR vs non-PBR argument will continue spilling over into everything else without a way for some of us to express our concerns and frustrations without feeling attacked or ridiculed for having concerns or frustrations.

Like once I was done with multiple wall of text rants and realized that ppl are also talking about some of the things that are wrong with PBR instead of trying to hammer home that PBR is the future, it got easier to listen. And after looking at that other forum, I understand that PBR is a very long way from taking over SL and that I have time and so does everybody else.

I haven't even really changed my viewpoint much. I just don't feel as threatened by PBR now. I think the best way to calm ppl down going forward is to let them know and show them how far PBR has to go to get to where ppl want it. Sorry, I know, I'm like halfway rambling.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

It's okej. Probably, this is one of those threads the mods would prefer we went off topic. And we do need a little hope here. I'm kind of surprised they let this thread stand, all things considered, and I'm glad they did. If you read Porkys take on it, he hit it right on nail when he said the PBR vs non-PBR argument will continue spilling over into everything else without a way for some of us to express our concerns and frustrations without feeling attacked or ridiculed for having concerns or frustrations.

I think this is true, too. It's a big enough deal that it's impacted quite a few people in-world and LL acknowledged there are things that need to be fixed and tweaked. IMO, the complaints about performance and implementation are valid, but I do think it'll get better over time.

5 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

Like once I was done with multiple wall of text rants and realized that ppl are also talking about some of the things that are wrong with PBR instead of trying to hammer home that PBR is the future, it got easier to listen. And after looking at that other forum, I understand that PBR is a very long way from taking over SL and that I have time and so does everybody else.

Yeah, we're definitely not going from zero PBR to 100% overnight, that's for sure. I've only got 2 items that have PBR textures that I bought a few months ago and they're both from the same store. They also include non-PBR versions as well. I think a lot of creators are waiting to see what happens before going all in. I don't think you have to worry about it totally dominating SL for quite a long time.

8 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

I haven't even really changed my viewpoint much. I just don't feel as threatened by PBR now. I think the best way to calm ppl down going forward is to let them know and show them how far PBR has to go to get to where ppl want it. Sorry, I know, I'm like halfway rambling.

My own personal view is I don't think PBR is necessary in SL just given how user-made content works, but I'm keeping an open mind because mayyyyybe once things are worked out, it'll surprise me. We'll see. In the meantime, I totally understand if people don't like it and want nothing to do with it (I don't even like it in here right now either - zero desire to play with my day-to-day environments to that extent). It is a bit more demanding on the hardware side, too, and some just have no motivation to deal with that. I so get it. 

No need to apologize. I know how frustrating this stuff can be when you just want to "play the game," so to speak.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

No need to apologize. I know how frustrating this stuff can be when you just want to "play the game," so to speak.

I agree with all of that pretty much.

Thank you for talking to me about all this.

I feel so much better about it now. =]

• Like 1