Making Estimates? Hralp =3

Kelethus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So... I think I've got the basic idea. You buy the home and pay all the fees to set it up, you furnish it... but then there's rent, right?

I'm new, and I'm thinking, is there an easy way to predict how much it will cost to upkeep your land and home each month? I'm on a $10/month premium subscription and I've got my eyes on https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CASTLE-OF-PAGAN-SACRIFICE-SOFISTICATED-RED-LOBBY-HALL-OF-MEETINGS-JAIL-AND-TEMPLE/1372382 , but... I have no idea if it'll be a possibility without me buying L$ manually with my credit card each month.

Any advice ir tips? =3

The footprint for that castle is 50 m x 50 m.  That will require, at a minium, a 2500 sq meter plot of land.  That is more than 2048 which is a tier cut off so you would have to pay tier at the 4096 level.  If you want to go that route you might as well buy a parcel that is 4096 since if you got one at 2500 meters you'd pay the same.  That's for mainland.

I'm not real sure how much in dollars per month tier is for a 4096 parcel.........you can look in the Wiki or Knowledge Base for the prices.  I'm thinking it about $15 a month.........in addition to your monthly premium.  If you rent from a private estate you'll have to get that information from the person you are renting from and you're payments will most likely be in L$............but it's still going to be near (or above) the tier for mainland (the landlord has to pay LL and he will charge at least what he pays them.........probably a little more for profit)>

The cost of land between Island/Estate/Homestead living than Mainland varies depending on the size or prim usage you will use. That castle you are eyeing on is huge so I'm assuming the prims will be more.

In this case, as Peggy said, you will need a bigger lot, more prims and higher tiers per month.

You can easily find out how much tiers you will use in a month by looking at your account at SL website's. Log in and look for 'Land Manager' and under that will be 'Land Use Fees'. That page will tell you exactly how much it will cost you on tiers per month depending on the size of your land and the USD equivalent. This is however mostly applicable to Mainland parcels.

So let's say for around 4096 you will be paying 25USD a month on top of your 10USD/month user fee.

For Estate living you will need to look around and negotiate with the landowner so it can be reduced to your affordable level before you agreed to pay that person your monthly tiers.

For that size on house you need a 4096.  On the mainland that will cost you the initial price of the land itself (and that price can vary wildly depending on where you buy) plus a tier payment to Linden Lab of $25.00 per month (US$).  I am not sure what it would cost to rent a parcel of that size on a private estate sim.  The benefit of owning mainland is that you pay directly to LL and that is somewhat more secure than paying to a private estate owner who may or may not make their tier payments to LL - and who is also free to sell the land to another who may or may not honor your rental agreement.

Wow, you guys are a huge help, thanks! :D

Do you guys know if it's common to be able to afford such a rent from a typical landlord using the LL you're given routinely just for being a premium subscriber? I'm wondering if it would cost more or less to just use my standard LL income for rent and then manually purachase LL with USD when I want to buy something ingame.

If you are talking about the weekly stipends of 300L then yes it is possible to live on it for your rental... but only when you are renting on a house. There are a lot of landlords that provides you skyboxes for rental and it can be as cheap as 50L to 1500L a week depending on the design and furnitures in the house.

But as for buying and maintaining a land plus your own house... hmm... I'm not sure.. probably not.

Lol. Yeah, I'm probably going to be looking at a $25 monthly feel. But honestly I don't mind so much.

So here's a question for all you land architects and home owning experts... I definitely want the house I linked above, and I'm thinking something like.. a murky, ominous bog with gnarly, dying tree as the surrounding. Any idea which region or land types I should aim for?

Heh!... You will be exactly the kind of person I will search in-world and go land hunting with.. too bad I'm at work now.

Do you like water? Do you like flat land? Do you want it on a mountain region? Or barely hanging on a cliff? or maybe one of those mysterious castles by the sea? or maybe on a snowy mountain? Or hanging castles? All you need is your imagination and any place will be the right place.

Trees and outside objects will add up to the prim allowance so make sure your trees are sculpted with reduced prims and if you can find objects that has fog/mist scripts embeded.

Actually I just thought of something that may make thet a bit EZ mode... I intend on playing a Frost Elf, so all I might need is a tree or two, a snow texture for the ground, and snowing effects (if the game has any).

And a friend is telling me about skyboxes being big enough to hold the house I linked... what would it take to get one of those?

Check these ones out.. go inworld for full demo.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LANDSCAPING-WINTER-PEAK-Sculpty-Ski-Mountain/152220

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SKYBOX-MOUNTAIN-SKYBOX/152310

or Just type in Sky Platform and browse through all the products and choose the one that fits your fantasy. Don't forget to check on the size and prims.

For a plot larger than 2500sqm, you only need to be on the 2048sqm tier level @ $15 a month, because you get a tier free 512sqm allowance for being a Premium member, assuming you haven`t used it to get a Linden home. If you do have a Linden home, abandon that before you buy any other land.

I would also recommend that you start a group so that you can get an additional 10% land bonus for your money. You will need a 2nd member for your group, which can be a friend or an alt of your own, & you can actually end up with a 2832sqm plot for $15 a month that way.

Tier free allowance    512

Tier level $15pm        2048

Group bonus               272

-----------------------------------------------

Total                         2832 sqm

So I found https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sim-Surround-Ice-and-Snow-Winter-Scenery/1660040 , https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DL-Fog-Machine-v10-Fogger/131194 , and https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CASTLE-OF-PAGAN-SACRIFICE-SOFISTICATED-RED-LOBBY-HALL-OF-MEETINGS-JAIL-AND-TEMPLE/1372382 .

It's 3am and my math is bad, but... think this all stays within that 4000-ish limit if I abandon my freebie house, making my monthly stay at $25, right? Or would I be prancing into debt management agencies shortly after doing this? x.x

If that's too much for the price range, I wonder if using https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/EVIL-GREEN-MANSION-SOFISTICATED-MANSION/1372452 may prove a lot cheaper than the 50x50 pagan thingie..

Jesus, is this what buying a house in RL is like? F this, apartments for life.~

That would still fit on the parcel mentioned before but you would only get about 647 prims & the castle is 560, leaving just 87 prims to furnish it,  so if you go for the $25 a month (4096) tier level & deed to group, you would get the following:

Tier Free : 512

$25 pm:  4096

Bonus:     496

Total:      5104 sqm

That would get you approx 1166 prims, the castle is 560 so that leaves you about 606 prims to decorate it with.

Is 606 considered a lot of prims? >.> I was considering making this a small sort of DCS2 arena, so I was hoping to decorate a couple combat locales and, of course, the castle interior. Do you think I can manage that?

Also, which castle did you mean, the dark green one or the pagan one?

*Edit* Also, do prims such as the ones in your outfit count toward your prim limit when you visit?

600 is a reasonable number of prims yeah, especially when you consider the whole castle is only made of 560.

There was only one castle in your last 2 links, the other one was a weather machine lol

Only prims that are rezzed on your land count, not prims that people are wearing.

Sorry, I meant choosing between https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CASTLE-OF-PAGAN-SACRIFICE-SOFISTICATED-RED-LOBBY-HALL-OF-MEETINGS-JAIL-AND-TEMPLE/1372382 and https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/EVIL-GREEN-MANSION-SOFISTICATED-MANSION/1372452 . I adore them both rather equally... but honestly I'm probably willing to go with the cheaper bet, if one of them does actually reduce overall costs in the end? Do you think either of them might?

Well the other one has a smaller footprint ( 32x45m) and only 235 prims, so if you had that one on the cheaper tier level you would still have approx 400 prims to fill it up.

Only you can decide, go and see them both rezzed inworld and see which one you can see yourself living in.

Okay... sorry for all the questions, but I'm really, really close to a decision. But I have a few other questions...

My friend is looking at this stuff and he's saying they're actually skyboxes, and not land that you rent from people. He says he just paid for his skybox and he hasn't paid a dime for it since. So... I caught my eyes on these.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Hell-rezzer-Skybox-32x32-1024/1122995

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Dark-Lava-Temple/2372635

Now here's the questions I have. If I recall correctly, I think both that snowy mountains backdrop and this lava one both were claimed to be skyboxes. Here's what I don't know...

(1) is the limit that determines how much your monthly subscription will be based on land size or house size?

(2) Is there any sort of occasion where a premium subscriber could be charged extra for having one or as many as two skyboxes?

(3) Is that Lava Temple considered a "home", and if it is, will this all become stupidly expensive if I try to get it AND one of the other two mansions going?

I would love to have the frozen tundra for my mansion, and then somewhere inside that mansion, a portal to the "realm" where the lava temple and that lava skybox is. It would be immensely vital to my RP and open up many, many doors. But I really can't push myself spending over $40 a month consistently on video games each month D: Why hasn't anybody here designed real life money trees yet? You guys are artistic geniuses, what's the hold up!

if this vision of mine is possible, I'd practically jump right into it. I'm just so new and clueless x.x Do you guys see any hope here?

No idea what your friend is talking about. Did he buy a skybox and keep it in his inventory? lol

Whatever you buy, whether its a house or castle or skybox, you need land to rezz it on. You can rent land or buy land & either way you will pay a weekly/monthly rent or a monthly tier fee, so I`m not sure where he has his skybox that he has free land.

When you buy land, you own it from the ground up to 4096m high & on the mainland you can use your land for whatever you want to. Providing you have enough prims you can have your castle and as many skyboxes as you want & there are no rules about what is a skybox or a ground residence either. If you wanted to you could stick your castle up in the sky on a deck or buy something called a skybox and live in it on the ground.

If you want to live in a snowy enviroment, there are lots of mainland areas with snow terrain which are easy to spot on your map because they are white. For example if you type Cloudmont into your map, click search & then zoom out with your mousewheel you will see a huge snow area of that particular continent. You can check to show land for sale on the map too and you will see yellow boxes all over the area which are parcels for sale.

Wow, you really explained that out for me. Good thing I didn't listen to my friendtard! Thank you! :D

Alright, Looks like I'm on the market for some land. I'll venture into the auctions and see what's happening today.

Just a heads up for all you roleplayers, once I figure out my technical issues with DCS2, I plan on creating a group intended for roleplay and arena combat that's will be open to public and groupmates alike. Given enough time with the class editor, expect to see classes with abilities the likes of which you've seen on games like Rift and League of Legends - I owe you guys awesomeness for helping me out! :D

Also if any of you private land owners has a decent piece of frozen tundra you're trying to sell off and isn't covered in vegas lights and advertisements on the front market page (I.E. easily found on the auction list :P), I'll pay up front for anything that'll keep my monthly bill under $40, so let me know what you've got :)

*Edit* Now that I think on it, I wonder if that friend is just walking into other people's lands and soaking up their prim limits for his Skybox... LOL.

He could well be, there was quite a long thread on here recently about land squatters lol :D

Don`t forget to checkout the land search inworld, you will find far more land for sale there by other residents, then you will on auctions where LL is just reselling abandoned parcels. Plus you see the price upfront and can buy instantly.

...wow... I'm amassed to see how many replies are on this topic... but it's a good sign...

...well I have to agree in order to place your own home/skybox you need land... and there is no way you can have land - so you can place your home or sky box - and same time not to pay rent or tier fees...

...not sure what your friend is talking about telling you that they never had to pay a dime after they set up their home... maybe the landowner is allowing them to use the land and prims for free, or they have some kind of a special unique agreement in place, but someone - the landowner - is still paying for the rent or tier...

...now I am just curious and I am sorry if I don't see it, but what is "Hralp =3" stand for..??..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.