I want a SecondLife 3d warehouse

Tapple Gao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There isn't currently any good way to share mesh files designed for secondlife if people want to do so. Sharing of collada, blend, max, maya, sketchup, or such files designed for secondlife would be great. Perhaps it would be best addressed as a feature of marketplace: purchase an item, get some files

There's the option of sharing Collada files via notecards, but of course this is limited by the maximum amount of text possible in a notecard (64kb afaik?), so I agree, the option to distribute Collada files over the marketplace would be very welcome.

I know some sellers used to sell notecards with links to downloads, or some scripted/server based key/password/registration...maybe, I never used many of these things I can't remember lol.

But, yeah, people sold .psd files, mesh files (once...that was a limited sale and was cars...not sure if the dude was breaking some rules though as they looked familiar and he claimed they where NOT to be used as is and for study or something lol) on the old xstreetsl/SlExchange website before it was bought and the technology/staff folded into SL.

BUT, there is some info about selling items via download websites. BUT, a website or marketplace catagory that sells 3d programm files....sounds cool to me! especially considering there are listing issues, such as prim count exported as is and so on that might be really helpful for speedy sim building, item building.

THis also reminds me of the library feature in blender 2.5. One can pack up a set of items and they can be drag and dropped from taht library file. So, you can put building bits, liek architectural details, in a pack. Sell it and a building maker just opens it whenever they ened a bit, drops it in and closes the library down! I imagine similar workflows might work for others, old blender users had the append feature in the file menu, which is not drag and drop...I don't think, and was a less visual way of doing things. It really helps workflow and enhances peoples work. Leads to more detlightment of creators, faster builds to market so builders benifit AND i imagine more activity and uploads lead to more money for LL! Sounds like a Win/Win/Win to me!

In a different position in life, I would do this myself because I don't think existing markets quit fit SL users well because the search functions can't add prim count, streaming costs ect. But, this is just me. There are so many variables to say I would use this type of warehouse myself, so I can't say I would no matter what. What payments are allowed, privacy policies and so many other details. But, yeah...my store is not so much a big deal so for that building a window frame here or there might be faster from a low cost blend library that also happens to have windows that I would like to use to build a garage with. So, they convert me over to a pruchaser, even though I like to make things myself I sort of have time constraints as anyone else does and this is why 3d warehouse marketplaces exist!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.