Pros/Cons PBR Viewer whats your take

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's just like RolePlay!

He presses her buttons.

"I don't like that!", she said.

He twiddles her knobs instead.

"Gasp!", she gasped.

Suddenly, the picture became clear.  She was a sentient Television.

Expand  

This is the most erotic emote I've read in SL for years.

Now you know, I'm good at ONE thing at least!

• Haha 2

@Henri Beauchamp 

Wow, thanks for all the info Henri! Sounds like my crude evaluation was indeed a crude evaluation, ugh... 😳

What I was really going for was an 'out-of-the box' evaluation, though I did try to match what I thought were the most important settings compared with the LL Viewer. Seems I blew it though, ugh...

I *am* using version v1.32.2.2 now, and used it for my evaluation. I installed it the day after it came out (which was only like 5 days ago lol).

I will adjust the settings you call out explicitly but not a clue about things buried in dbug, sorry. If it is ok with you I will post my results here, but with the caveat that it is just a very unskilled user's perspective. Which might describe a lot of people, maybe? So, an 'everyday user' perspective rather than an 'experienced tester' perspective? I am sorry if I misrepresented the capabilities of your viewer, I do love it and would recommend it to people with certain needs (I think people doing photography maybe need something different, but I may be wrong about that, too).

I *did* use the Midday (PBR) when I had PBR engaged. Maybe I am once again missing what you mean? I assumed that Midday in the PBR-only viewers *was* a new Midday for PBR. No surprise if I was wrong though. Really, I did not mean to complain about the hardness/softness of the light, just noting it was different across the different viewers. I am completely clueless about adjusting lighting in SL, again was making an assumption (a bad one!) that the same Environment would be good for comparison. Thanks for the tips on adjusting that! The whole lighting thing in general is one of the things that give me pause on the learning curve of SL though. I guess the LL Viewer default would be the most likely to be pleasing for new people, so that is good.

I did want to set a limit to the frame rate! Funny that until your viewer I never even considered such a thing. However, as you have probably figured out by now, I suck at finding things and am pretty dull-witted lol. Thanks for guiding me to the setting!

Overall I love the Cool VL Viewer, and it is the one I will be using. I am open to correction, but I do feel that likely people doing serious photography will need something different at least for that use case (I think a lot of the photographers use multiple viewers anyhow). If I am wrong please clarify that, thx!

In the end I think one big advantage, besides all the other great features, is the ability to not use PBR. This should help people with weaker systems. IMO the visuals are less impressive, and ofc over time as builders move to PBR stuff things will look even worse, but that may make the difference between some people being able to continue participating in SL. I esp love how just selecting a single setting toggles back and forth! I for sure would use that a lot.

Thanks for all the info and clarifications!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think, "good" AntiVirus software should warn a user if it suddenly has to scan new folders a lot / all the time due to downloads, etc.  Then, it should prompt the user and ask if they want to whitelist that set of folders.

Alternatively, if the user explicitly said "Yes, trust this application" then why wouldn't "good" AntiVirus software automatically whitelist any folders accessed by that application?

I use Norton. I haven't noticed performance issues. 

Thx Love! I have never had any antivirus errors pop up when using any viewer. That said, perhaps there might be some slowdown. That is an acceptable trade-off for me personally. I mostly wanted to mention it in case most people *do* whitelist viewer stuff. I seriously doubt they do, though.

4 hours ago, Toothless Draegonne said:

Unfortunately due to the increasing paranoia of AV software and the cost of getting certified, this is an increasing occurence for an increasing amount of any kind of indy software, which basically every TPV is. Either you're having to add exceptions, or you're having to override the install-wall. Or both.

I'm wondering if this is a deliberate Microsoftian attempt to force everyone onto their crappy app store, but nonetheless, FS is far from alone in needing people to turn off AV or access control features, and kind of removes the point of even having them.

I *did* have to override the installer for a couple of viewers (some of which turned out to be so bad I did not even evaluate them), my AV software blocked it because of no certificate or some such. I trust the people proving the viewers, though, and assume that if there was a genuine issue it would be trumpeted in the Forum lol. Fortunately I was able to go ahead and install the software.

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

At some point, this conversation must introduce a pair of pliers... and possibly aluminum foil.

The foil is dual use because also becomes handy hats for some users. 😎 

non-ridiculous part: more tools are never a bad thing but I’ll keep most of mine hidden when many of the pressing newcomer questions are more on the level of , “So, where are the feet?”, “Why am I bald”, and “But how do I  STOP dancing?” 💃 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ahh, pliers! A great reference in the classic Firesign Theatre album!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Crush_That_Dwarf,_Hand_Me_the_Pliers

I didn't go to your link (I shudder at what I might find there), but here is one of my own. Fiona Apple had an album named Fetch the Bolt Cutters, a quote from the X-Files (about which I know zero lol):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetch_the_Bolt_Cutters

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I didn't go to your link (I shudder at what I might find there), but here is one of my own. Fiona Apple had an album named Fetch the Bolt Cutters, a quote from the X-Files (about which I know zero lol):

The link is to a Wikipedia article, about a comedy album by the group "Firesign Theatre" - an absurdist group that was most active in the 1970's and early 1980's.  That was the actual title of their album, "Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers" - just a bizarre thing that wasn't on the album IIRC.

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

The link is to a Wikipedia article, about a comedy album by the group "Firesign Theatre" - an absurdist group that was most active in the 1970's and early 1980's.  That was the actual title of their album, "Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers" - just a bizarre thing that wasn't on the album IIRC.

Ah ok, thx! It sounded like some kind of torture kink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Listening to Firesign Theatre can SEEM like "pure torture".  You'd have to try it to see whether you laugh or cringe.

I guess I am kind of a joyless ***** (actually, no, I really am one, I guess, not really any question lol). I am not much of a fan of comedians or of comedy troupes, including SNL. I do like some random clips from SL that I have run across over the years though.

Most people do love that stuff though, and I am glad they have that to give them pleasure. 🥰

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toothless Draegonne said:

This has been standard viewer advice for the last year now, and hitting the install-wall has been a thing in general for much longer than that.

Yet my statement remains true, and points out that this has only been required for me. for SL (PBR) viewer applications only

Edited by Codex Alpha

11 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

What I was really going for was an 'out-of-the box' evaluation, though I did try to match what I thought were the most important settings compared with the LL Viewer.

Well, I just noticed that you got Vsync ticked in LL's viewer Preferences screen shot, which would limit its frame rate to your monitor's too...

The ”out of the box” experience varies widely from one viewer to another: each one got its own ”recommended settings”, based on what their developers ”felt like” about it and the range of PCs they could test their viewer onto (which is, for hobbyists such as the TPV developers, very limited, of course). I do test my viewer on potato PCs too, but since it is fast, I tend to be a bit more ”generous” on the graphics settings (especially LOD factors, because I hate to see distorted objects when they render at low LOD)...

11 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

If it is ok with you I will post my results here, but with the caveat that it is just a very unskilled user's perspective.

I am not going to censor you, lol !  You post what you want. 😛

I was just clarifying things about how a proper benchmark should be performed (and yes, this is tricky to do well and without missing a setting that could really ruin the results and make any comparison moot).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2024 at 5:14 PM, AmeliaJ08 said:

I know it's a pain but can you post a screenshot of the first graphics preferences screen and the hardware tab?

Is this at 1080P resolution?

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Edited by PatricaC

30 minutes ago, PatricaC said:

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Hmmm! here is what I am using for a 1650Ti laptop, I have the Nvidia control panel frame limiter set to 32fps and I'm steady at that unless looking at a lot of avatars or something very detailed

1650ti_fs_1.png

1650ti_fs_2.png

1650ti_fs_3.png