Catwa Steffi Upgrade

Sabess

Hi!

I'm a returning player, and I'm still wrapping my head around all the changes like BOM and EVOX and everything. At first I was planning not to use them for simplicity/the wallet, but I'm trying to find a new style of makeup (witchy, lots of stars and moons), and I'm struggling to find anything that works for basic Catwa; I've found about 15 great picks for EVOX only, and maybe 2 for Catwa.

It seems like upgrading to an EVOX head might be the way to go, but the issue is that I've only ever really liked Catwa Steffi for the specific face shape I'm going for. Is there any sort of EVOX 'equivalent' or one that's incredibly similar, or a way to capture the same kind of shape in general?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sabess said:

Hi!

I'm a returning player, and I'm still wrapping my head around all the changes like BOM and EVOX and everything. At first I was planning not to use them for simplicity/the wallet, but I'm trying to find a new style of makeup (witchy, lots of stars and moons), and I'm struggling to find anything that works for basic Catwa; I've found about 15 great picks for EVOX only, and maybe 2 for Catwa.

It seems like upgrading to an EVOX head might be the way to go, but the issue is that I've only ever really liked Catwa Steffi for the specific face shape I'm going for. Is there any sort of EVOX 'equivalent' or one that's incredibly similar, or a way to capture the same kind of shape in general?

CATWA went EVOX recently and have 4 heads in store that are only EVOX enabled.

35 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

CATWA went EVOX recently and have 4 heads in store that are only EVOX enabled.

Appreciate the reply! I saw that, but the heads are very different from Steffi, at least as far as I can tell. I'm not really married to Catwa specifically, but I'm just struggling to find anything resembling the Steffi shape from any store. It's mostly the jawline and thin lips I'm looking for, but no luck so far on any EVOX heads.

Oooo, Sabess, this is so hard because so much hinges on not only the head you choose, but your patience with shaping it AND hunting down juuuust the right skin and additional details (makeup, eyebrows, skin effects, etc.) to get you where you want to be. It's also going to come down to how you styled Steffi, because Catwa heads are generally pretty flexible.

I have some starter suggestions, but you're going to definitely want to grab demos for everything (head, skin, makeup, brows, etc.) and try it all on together while playing with your shape sliders AND referencing a photo of yourself wearing Steffi to use as a reference.

First suggestion - try Akeruka ADVX (their EvoX-compatible line). I like how they shape on the sliders sometimes, so you might have some luck there.

As for which head, my guess would be Sophia. Sophia was given away for free last Christmas, so unfortunately you missed that, but it's still worth a demo if it's available in-store. With the right skin, slimming down the lip area, and playing with the nose, you might get somewhat close. Also, if AK is not still running a sale, they sometimes run 50% off, so it might be worth it to wait a little if you can.

Merry Christmas  by AKERUKA

These skins by Akeruka might help (both shown on Sophia), but try lots of other skin stores, too.

image.png.914593f5fa4c8aabeb7d4cb8bb3cd655.png

Quick random list of skin stores to grab demos from (EvoX) - Amara Beauty (matching body skins are free there, too), Nuve (also a great place for makeup and BOM eyebrows), Moccino Beaute, Pumec, Not Found, The Skinnery, Velour, Glam Affair, Ives Beauty, Heaux, Bold & Beauty. There are tons of others, but that'll get you started on your hunt. 

Another head option - try Catwa again. I know you want EvoX, but the HDPros could get close to what you want, too. You'd just have to dig around and look for SLUV skins for that. Try the Marketplace for old SLUV skins.

On the Catwa EvoX side, I'd suggest playing around with styling Yuna and Katya. I know they both look really young, but Catwa heads are so flexible, you might be able to make one of those work. Yuna's got the closest mouth to what you want, but you'll have to stretch it a bit and thin out the bottom lip. Her nose isn't exactly right, but some creators do sell tintable nose contour BOM layers you could play with (grab demos!). Katya would need some aggressive slider and skin magic (they both would, honestly), but hey, you never know.

image.png.28fc83937b24832a98ddfb40d7b11229.png

On the SLUV/HDPro side, if you have the patience to shop for that, I'd try Quartz and Emerald. Emerald needs more chin and less cheek, though, so play with that. And don't get too caught up on the starter shapes/skins. Try a LOT of skin demos and slider shenanigans. 

image.png.dabe69ee94ed362a7dc2367778db47dc.png

image.png.372594384a967f1ab43be18e1db58fe2.png

Hope that helps! If you have a photo of your current Steffi look, go ahead and throw that in the thread and we can see maybe if we can narrow down your options a bit. I know it's a LOT. 😂

• Like 3

On 3/25/2024 at 10:17 PM, CaitlinParker said:

The CATWA Steffi head should be v4.5 .  I should know, I use that head.

You should be able to just get it redelivered to you.

But it is not evox compatible, and literally no one is making skins for that brand right now.

39 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:

True, but I'm in the same boat as the OP.

You're fine if you want to stay with Catwa. My only real complaint with their older (pre-HDPro) line is the HUD. The pink one? Super tiny and very cluttered. The HDPro HUD is a massive improvement, though, and very easy on the eyes, so if anything, I'd tell you guys to look at the Catwa HDPro line just to be able to use that.

As for skins, I demo a ton of them from a large variety of stores (human and fantasy) and honestly, I absolutely loathe EvoX skins with a passion, but that comes down to personal preference. I keep some of my Lel heads in normal Evolution mode to avoid having to use them. Older SLUV skins IMO just look a lot more natural, smooth, and far less oily in the skin tones I use, and you can find a bunch of SLUVs on the marketplace if you're ever looking for something. You do not need the latest and greatest in the skin market unless you really want to emphasize your pores for some reason. 😄

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

You do not need the latest and greatest in the skin market unless you really want to emphasize your pores for some reason. 😄

Or you get an older skin and then you add some 'skin enhancement' layers with pores and whatnot.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Izzies-Face-Pores-Capillaries-Evo-X-regular-BOM/23599474

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Or you get an older skin and then you add some 'skin enhancement' layers with pores and whatnot.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Izzies-Face-Pores-Capillaries-Evo-X-regular-BOM/23599474

Very true! But why in the world is that available for EvoX? 😂

Yo I heard you like pores, so I added pores to your pores so you can have pores while you have pores... 👀

• Haha 1

Very true! But why in the world is that available for EvoX? 😂

Yo I heard you like pores, so I added pores to your pores so you can have pores while you have pores... 👀

In case you want to buy a porcelain doll skin and then look less like a porcelain doll, of course! 

Honestly though, I do use a fair few of those sort of things myself, finding a skin tone pale enough was hard, and I kind of prefer it not having all those details textured on the skin itself in case I do want to look like a porcelain doll sometime. And because I can choose the opacities and then tint stuff, I have more control over the final look. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

In case you want to buy a porcelain doll skin and then look less like a porcelain doll, of course! 

Honestly though, I do use a fair few of those sort of things myself, finding a skin tone pale enough was hard, and I kind of prefer it not having all those details textured on the skin itself in case I do want to look like a porcelain doll sometime. And because I can choose the opacities and then tint stuff, I have more control over the final look. 

I dare someone to find me a porcelain doll skin in EvoX that actually looks smooth enough to pass for one!

But no, I totally agree. I like using natural age spots and freckles just to cover up that obnoxious skin texture if I simply must use EvoX for some reason, but it really doesn't help all that much. Where possible, I greatly prefer SLUV to give me a smoother base to build on - then I can add any necessary details later.

• Like 2

I dare someone to find me a porcelain doll skin in EvoX that actually looks smooth enough to pass for one!

plain-white-tile-500x500.jpg

You're welcome! Nah, but, the materials even at the lower settings are pretty aggressive, the normals can make your face look like a moonscape in certain light conditions with how deep things are. I never really played around with using 'custom' materials for my head (I have tried some tattoos with like gold which came with a material applier for my body though), but to look like a porcelain doll you'll want the normals to be pretty much totally disabled. Whiiiich I reckon would be pretty easy to turn off with a custom HUD, assuming the scripts for changing materials are included in the devkit (I haven't touched that thing in ages - turns out painting makeup does take some skill; but if anyone needs some panda face painting I have the skills!). It's pretty weird there's no option to just turn them off in the main HUD. Got all these fancy sliders to adjust the speculars, but an on/off switch for the normals? Nuh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

plain-white-tile-500x500.jpg

You're welcome! Nah, but, the materials even at the lower settings are pretty aggressive, the normals can make your face look like a moonscape in certain light conditions with how deep things are. I never really played around with using 'custom' materials for my head (I have tried some tattoos with like gold which came with a material applier for my body though), but to look like a porcelain doll you'll want the normals to be pretty much totally disabled. Whiiiich I reckon would be pretty easy to turn off with a custom HUD, assuming the scripts for changing materials are included in the devkit (I haven't touched that thing in ages - turns out painting makeup does take some skill; but if anyone needs some panda face painting I have the skills!). It's pretty weird there's no option to just turn them off in the main HUD. Got all these fancy sliders to adjust the speculars, but an on/off switch for the normals? Nuh.

Now toss on your head in EvoX mode and you're gonna see

image.png.1034bdaaa48489db90d5a278c5cfb835.png

🤣

Honestly, I've never been motivated to mess with devkits or custom materials and textures or any of that, which is a bit strange, considering I also wear furry avatars and creature heads and they are super easy to get kits for. I've considered making my own makeup once or twice, but that's simply because I usually want very theatrical makeup and special FX. Fortunately, I've managed to find stores that do that style well enough that I don't have to mess with it.

I just prefer to keep all of my styling and fiddling inside the SL client. If I have to go to Photoshop (or in my case, Affinity) for something, I'm going to whine my plaster-textured face off about it. I'll never say no to having more texture options built-in to our HUDs, though!

Posted (edited)

Totally forgot to check this thread the last few days; thank you to absolutely everybody for all the help! The main reason I'm shooting for EvoX is, admittedly, just makeup; I'm happy with my current skin, but I've got like a bajillion makeup sets from gifts and on the wishlist that I just can't use despite really liking them. The newer freckle textures are also nice, buuut I think that's on regular Evo too without a super big difference.

Waiting for a sale seems like the best call, but this has helped a lot for when that comes around. ❤️

Edited by Sabess
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 1:56 PM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

[Lots!]

Double posting like a dork because I didn't see your last line, there! Definitely don't worry too much, you've already helped a lot! That said, here's some hopefully clear pictures of what I've got currently if you feel like taking a poke at it. The skin I'm currently using is Porcelain Sabine from Pink Fuel (which is also a little old), for reference, too.

First, with hair and accessories and all of that good stuff, in-case that helps at all!

image.png?ex=66188cb7&is=660617b7&hm=8a2

Annnnd secondly with it taken down to the relative basics for visual clarity:

image.png?ex=66188e2c&is=6606192c&hm=03c

I'll definitely check out all of your recommendations, too! Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Sabess
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabess said:

Double posting like a dork because I didn't see your last line, there! Definitely don't worry too much, you've already helped a lot! That said, here's some hopefully clear pictures of what I've got currently if you feel like taking a poke at it. The skin I'm currently using is Porcelain Sabine from Pink Fuel (which is also a little old), for reference, too.

First, with hair and accessories and all of that good stuff, in-case that helps at all!

image.png?ex=66188cb7&is=660617b7&hm=8a2

Annnnd secondly with it taken down to the relative basics for visual clarity:

image.png?ex=66188e2c&is=6606192c&hm=03c

I'll definitely check out all of your recommendations, too! Thanks a bunch!

AHHHHH, that's such a cute look! Especially with the glasses. 

This is a guess because I haven't played with it much yet, but I'd definitely give Akeruka's Sophia a try, for sure. The Yuna and Katya heads are a somewhat close second.

You'll need a new skin if your current skin is on the SLUV map. Everything BOM has to shift over to EvoX (including hairbase, eyebrows, etc.) if you want to wear EvoX makeup. Old Evo makeup appliers (the clicky HUD version) will still work in EvoX mode, however.

Play around with some demos/sliders, and yell if you need more help/suggestions! 

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Clarifyin'
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

AHHHHH, that's such a cute look! Especially with the glasses. 

This is a guess because I haven't played with it much yet, but I'd definitely give Akeruka's Sophia a try, for sure. The Yuna and Katya heads are a somewhat close second.

You'll need a new skin if your current skin is on the SLUV map. Everything BOM has to shift over to EvoX (including hairbase, eyebrows, etc.) if you want to wear EvoX makeup. Old Evo makeup appliers (the clicky HUD version) will still work in EvoX mode, however.

Play around with some demos/sliders, and yell if you need more help/suggestions! 

I'll definitely check Sophia out soon! And get it on sale. 🤣

Super appreciate all the help!

• Like 1

This is what I look like with the Steffi head.

I'm not sure which EVOX or HD EVOX head would even work for me if I wanted to get a new head.  I do know that I'd need a new skin that is EVOX compatible, and if I ever decide on grabbing the Legacy body or not.

caitlin-steffi_001.png

2 hours ago, CaitlinParker said:

This is what I look like with the Steffi head.

I'm not sure which EVOX or HD EVOX head would even work for me if I wanted to get a new head.  I do know that I'd need a new skin that is EVOX compatible, and if I ever decide on grabbing the Legacy body or not.

caitlin-steffi_001.png

What store is your current skin from?

1 hour ago, CaitlinParker said:

It should be the Kimi CATWA BOM skin from Enfer Sombre.  The freckles I got elsewhere.

I'd check.out Enter Sombre for a similar look that's made for EvoX.  They usually tell you which head they're using in the vendor pic.

Enfer Sombre

risa.jpg.d3c83b13d3efb5ea0f34ea6f78a21581.jpg

• Like 1