Neck seam post #729

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Wesley Spengler said:

Oh, the fitting... 🙄 Trying to find a stupid pair of biker boots that fit Jake and work with and/or are sold with a pair of decent mesh jeans. I don't know how many demos I've tried, and how much time I've taken doing it, I've still got nothing that works. And don't get me (or any of us) started on how difficult it continues to be to find anything in SL... Between the marginal tools and the keyword stuffing, it's useless. (Preaching to the choir, no doubt.)

I think finding shoes that fit with a male avatar's pants is about as hard as getting a top and pants to fit right together for a female avatar. At least female jeans sometimes have boot fit that can go inside of boots and leggings can usually fit inside of a short boot. Once we try to fit pants with a taller boot, all bets are off though, unless the pieces are made to be part of the same outfit.

• Like 2

Just because a pair of boots and a pair of jeans both are rigged for a certain body doesn't mean they're compatible with each other. Heck, it doesn't even mean that it will 'fit' the body, but it will generally 'work' with the body assuming you alpha out the body beneath. Jake isn't in any way unique in this; if you put on a pair of thigh-highs with a Maitreya which has more clothes available to it than any other, you'll still find the majority of trousers, even when given in 'underboot' versions, won't work. A lot of times if you put on a pair of mesh trousers rigged for a certain body, if you turn off the alphas your butt will clip straight through. 

As Persephone mentioned though, a single creator that makes a pair of boots and trousers as a part of one outfit, those two items are designed to work with one another and generally do so well. But try any other trousers, even from that same creator, and you'll likely see clipping. It's also why a lot of people find it easier to display a bit of midriff rather than trying to build an outfit in which the top and bottom work together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think finding shoes that fit with a male avatar's pants is about as hard as getting a top and pants to fit right together for a female avatar. At least female jeans sometimes have boot fit that can go inside of boots and leggings can usually fit inside of a short boot. Once we try to fit pants with a taller boot, all bets are off though, unless the pieces are made to be part of the same outfit.

Got a pair of cargo style pants at the weekend sales made for high feet which stuck me as odd but ok.  The issue was, almost every heel I tried on still didn't work with the stupid pants.  I sure as heck am not wearing stilettos with cargo camo.  I went with a pair of wool socks.  Idjits.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Once we try to fit pants with a taller boot, all bets are off though, unless the pieces are made to be part of the same outfit.

Exactly. It all just feels like a bit of a roll of the dice... Because it is, apparently. But of course, not just boots or shoes with pants, but tops and bottoms not clipping into each other, blah blah blah. As always, the usual advice to demo, demo, demo is key. But it's a ton of trial-and-error. 

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

As Persephone mentioned though, a single creator that makes a pair of boots and trousers as a part of one outfit, those two items are designed to work with one another and generally do so well.

Yup, and so far, in this category, that's eluding me. I've managed to find a couple of matched sets (boots + jeans as an outfit), but it's either non-rigged (which might be OK if it's decently made), or the modeling and textures are so incredibly poor, it looked like something out of 2009. 

C'est la vie... I'll continue the search!

• Like 1

Just now, Wesley Spengler said:

or the modeling and textures are so incredibly poor, it looked like something out of 2009. 

Don't diss 2009 stuff, much of it was leagues ahead of much of the junk released today!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Wesley Spengler said:

Yup, and so far, in this category, that's eluding me. I've managed to find a couple of matched sets (boots + jeans as an outfit), but it's either non-rigged (which might be OK if it's decently made), or the modeling and textures are so incredibly poor, it looked like something out of 2009. 

C'est la vie... I'll continue the search!

I can't remember exactly what works and looks good doing it because I experiment a LOT with womens footwear and leave it at that much of the time, but I do know that places like Butterscotch sometimes have shoes to go with the outfits. AsteroidBox has a few pairs of pants with included boots. Their standalone boots may also fit some of their pants, though I haven't tried yet. Cordewa also makes shoes that fit their outfits. Uhhhh...Native Urban has a mix of rigged and unrigged shoes. Jeys has shoes to go with some of his outfits. I'm sure there are others, but I'm blankin'!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

but I do know that places like

None of which were on my list, so thanks! More to explore. Like I already said, just finding applicable stores is 90% of the battle it seems. I did also see some cool boots at Lapointe (L&S) last night that I need to go back and demo...

Things to do when you've got well over a foot of snow outside in RL and don't really feel like shoveling! 🤪

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wesley Spengler said:

None of which were on my list, so thanks! More to explore. Like I already said, just finding applicable stores is 90% of the battle it seems. I did also see some cool boots at Lapointe (L&S) last night that I need to go back and demo...

Things to do when you've got well over a foot of snow outside in RL and don't really feel like shoveling! 🤪

Ewww snow!

I should probably mention that all of those stores serve rather different niches, so it depends on what style you're after. I experiment a lot on my male avatars, so I tend to not consider that much when giving out recommendations. 😂

Butterscotch and Native Urban are pretty casual, and Native Urban also has some rather nice suits. Cordewa is a mix. AsteroidBox is alternative. Jeys hits the "runway futuristic fashion" niche rather well (I always get Rick Owens vibes when I'm in his store).

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.