Can I create for SL solely on Linux or do I still need Windows?

RipleyVonD

Question

8 answers to this question

Well, it's usually wise to test your creations to be sure that they will look right on each of the common viewers.  If there's any possibility that whatever you are creating might look different for some customers, it's nice to find that out before you go public.  Not really an answer, but .....

• Like 1

Quite frankly put: No, you don't. If you're creating using the default SL viewer using a linux distro power to you. From what I know most viewers are cross platform anyway, so you should be able to test all of them out.

Not that it matters anyway; I find the notion of testing different viewers for 'representative cohesion' for your stuff laughable.

Posted (edited)

If I remember correctly voice features didn't used to work on a Linux viewer, which is fine it's not something I normaly use. And on Linux I have to create my own physics meshes. I was wondering if anything had changed over the years.

I can create everything I need on Linux thankfully. The only thing that concerns me is whether I'll be able to properly upload everything on a Linux viewer.

Edited by RipleyVonD

It's possible to work entirely within Linux. I no longer have any Windows machines But to use some of the Havok upload features, you have to run Firestorm or the SL viewer under Wine. Also, to see the pathfinding mesh, you have to run an SL viewer or Firestorm under Wine. This is a pain, but possible.

(Useful line of development: replace the Havok convex hull decomposer with a better algorithm. Like this new one. That's a much better algorithm. But like much academic code, it's brittle. The model has to be watertight or it gets totally confused. You have to go into Blender and work until you have a completely clean mesh.If you can generate a clean mesh, it generates a really good physics model.)

• Like 2

That's great to hear Animats thanks! I wasn't too worried about running the Window's Second Life viewer on Linux, either Wine or Valve's Steam Proton should be able to run it just fine.

I was mostly curious if anything had changed over the years.

you have to run an SL viewer or Firestorm under Wine. This is a pain, but possible.

Tell me about it, if the Window's viewer was availiable on Valve's Steam Launcher it would make this much simpler for a Linux user. In fact I came here feeling disappointed that SL's Windows viewer wasn't availiable on Steam. I was so sure it was though. Lol Darn.