avatar I created now only an orange mist after getting back into SL!

VexDarkness

I went to a club to hang out, but my avatar (with a nice, advanced head and body I got from an in world market), now is just an orange mist.  I waited for like 20 minutes, and it just wouldn't load.  I went back to another avatar, and it rezzed right away.

What's going on?  The backup avatar actually looks cooler, but still, I was wondering what the issue is!  Thanks! 😁

When your avatar stays as a cloud, this usually means one of the core components didn't get added. Look under Worn in your inventory to see if you're not wearing a Shape, Brow shape, Skin or Eyes. Then either Wear one of the missing parts or switch to a default avatar, then back to the one you want to wear.

• Thanks 1

Yes, you can mix and match parts, but you can only Wear one of each of those system parts I mentioned.

You can Add multiple parts such as mesh pieces, tattoo layers, and system clothing layers. Skins now can come as both a system Skin (usually on the body), a tattoo layer for the head, and a Universal tattoo layer for EvoX ears. You can wear multiple Tattoo and Universal skin layers.

One thing to be careful with is which Shape you wear with mesh heads and bodies. If you wear a shape that is not made for the body and head brand that you're wearing, your avatar will likely look very weird.

Once you get a look you like, it's probably best to Save it as an Outfit. Also save a basic look. Then you can easily go back to one these Outfits if your avatar gets messed up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2024 at 3:43 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

Yes, you can mix and match parts, but you can only Wear one of each of those system parts I mentioned.

You can Add multiple parts such as mesh pieces, tattoo layers, and system clothing layers. Skins now can come as both a system Skin (usually on the body), a tattoo layer for the head, and a Universal tattoo layer for EvoX ears. You can wear multiple Tattoo and Universal skin layers.

One thing to be careful with is which Shape you wear with mesh heads and bodies. If you wear a shape that is not made for the body and head brand that you're wearing, your avatar will likely look very weird.

Once you get a look you like, it's probably best to Save it as an Outfit. Also save a basic look. Then you can easily go back to one these Outfits if your avatar gets messed up.

I was able to retrieve an older avatar.  I'm still playing with it. 😁

I do have another question tho:  What is the black color under my hair?  You can see it just under the red hair on the front and side.  I'd like to remove it! See pic:

sl_image.png.61a0675d6e3c6f4f8a45fc5b852cc642.png

*sighs

6 minutes ago, VexDarkness said:

What is the black color under my hair?

It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but it's probably a 'hairbase', which could either be a part of the hair itself (many hairs have them, some can turn them off), or a tattoo (if you're BoM) or an applier (if you're not). 

• Thanks 1

The black is probably a hairbase.  Along with what @Orwarmentioned, a lot of older skins came with hairbases ON the skin.  Those can't be removed but need to be replaced with a skin that doesn't include the hairbase.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The black is probably a hairbase.  Along with what @Orwarmentioned, a lot of older skins came with hairbases ON the skin.  Those can't be removed but need to be replaced with a skin that doesn't include the hairbase.

Thanks!  So can I just buy a new skin?  Something more pale would work!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VexDarkness said:

Thanks!  So can I just buy a new skin?  Something more pale would work!

That depends on which mesh body/head combo you are using as to which skin you can use.   If it's NOT an EvoX head, you can use most other older skins.  There will be areas that are slightly off though.

On 3/2/2024 at 3:23 AM, VexDarkness said:

a nice, advanced head and body I got from an in world market

You didn't mention which advanced head and body so not sure what will work with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

That depends on which mesh body/head combo you are using as to which skin you can use.   If it's NOT an EvoX head, you can use most other older skins.  There will be areas that are slightly off though.

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

You didn't mention which advanced head and body so not sure what will work with it.

I'm sorry, I need to clarify.  I'm using a pre-defined avatar that I added stuff to.  Does this make a difference?

Yes, it does make a difference.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'pre-defined' avatar.  Do you mean you purchased a shape/skin combo on the MP and are using the system body and not anything mesh?  (Such as Lelutka mesh head or Maitreya mesh body?)   If you did, then most older skins will work with it.  Most of the skins sold today are sold for a specific mesh body.  Even if they are BOM/system skins, most do not include a head/face texture.  It's just blank.  Older BOM/system skins were the whole body, head included.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yes, it does make a difference.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'pre-defined' avatar.  Do you mean you purchased a shape/skin combo on the MP and are using the system body and not anything mesh?  (Such as Lelutka mesh head or Maitreya mesh body?)   If you did, then most older skins will work with it.  Most of the skins sold today are sold for a specific mesh body.  Even if they are BOM/system skins, most do not include a head/face texture.  It's just blank.  Older BOM/system skins were the whole body, head included.

I'm using the Vampire "Eleira" I think her name is. From the "Choose an Avatar" menu on my viewer.  Then I added my own clothes and hair...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VexDarkness said:

I'm using the Vampire "Eleira" I think her name is. From the "Choose an Avatar" menu on my viewer.  Then I added my own clothes and hair...

Ah, those avatars are .. A little special. But yes, the 'hairbase' on those avatars are directly textured on their skins, and thus can't be removed (I suppose you could technically make a 'bald cap' tattoo and slap it on there though). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2024 at 1:03 PM, Orwar said:

Ah, those avatars are .. A little special. But yes, the 'hairbase' on those avatars are directly textured on their skins, and thus can't be removed (I suppose you could technically make a 'bald cap' tattoo and slap it on there though). 

k cool.  I'm going to look for some more hair. Do you have any suggestions where to look?

1 minute ago, VexDarkness said:

k cool.  I'm going to look for some more hair. Do you have any suggestions where to look?

Hm, depends on what sort of hair you're looking for, but places like Doux, Stealhic, and Magika have lots of interesting stuff between them.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 5:30 PM, Orwar said:

Hm, depends on what sort of hair you're looking for, but places like Doux, Stealhic, and Magika have lots of interesting stuff between them.

Thanks!! 😁

2 hours ago, VexDarkness said:

But now my alt avatar has 2 faces?!

Hm, two faces? How do you mean? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VexDarkness said:

The orange issue seems to have resolved itself.  But now my alt avatar has 2 faces?!

First though is you bought and are wearing a one of the high definition "head" skins.  The current most popular HD line is the LeLutka EvoX.  If you wear that on an avatar (or head if you have a mesh head) that is not compatible with the high definition standard of the skin it can look.....very weird. and kinda like yo have to face. 

Edited by Anna Salyx
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Anna Salyx said:

First though is you bought and are wearing a one of the high definition "head" skins.  The current most popular HD line is the LeLutka EvoX.  If you wear that on an avatar (or head if you have a mesh head) that is not compatible with the high definition standard of the skin it can look.....very weird. and kinda like yo have to face. 

Yes, that's the head I'm trying to wear.  But the hair is gone (my fault), and the face is all funky.  How do I fix it? 🙂

10 hours ago, Orwar said:

Hm, two faces? How do you mean? 

I see the main "face", but it's stretched, and there appears to be facial features on the back of the head, like eyes and maybe a nose. LOL

10 minutes ago, VexDarkness said:

I see the main "face", but it's stretched, and there appears to be facial features on the back of the head, like eyes and maybe a nose. LOL

Ah, yeah I'm guessing it's as Anna wrote then; you've probably got a skin designed for the EvoX UV on a head using the standard avatar UV; as they're laid out quite differently things won't align. The only way to fix it is to change back to a skin designed for the UV that your head uses.

• Like 2

I had someone asking me for help just a couple of weeks ago because their avatar wouldn't  rez from a cloud..

It ended up that they had zero inventory structure and over 100,000 items just running  flat in their inventory..

We started to set them up a structure and set them up with a raw reset outfit folder, that reverts their avatar to default when they have any problems.. Then had them trying each item on one at a time..

They finally were able to rez and now setting up an inventory structure with sub-directories that don't put such a search strain on the asset server trying to find things in their inventory..

I don't think it's the answer for everyone, but it's a good start for those that might need to set up a good structure..

The raw default avatar reset outfit folder helps with a lot of rez problems anyways and can show where things may start to get wonky..

• Like 2

Okay, thanks.  I'm going to mess with it some more. And I need to simply dive right into the SL knowledge base. I've been playing SL on and off since 2006 with old accounts that are already deleted.  But I'd get frustrated, however, I refuse to give up this time! 

• Like 1