DMCA

Z3RI

Question

Hypnotically speaking, i know of a situation that could be either be false or true where a person has been accessing second life accounts and have been sharing messages with others. They supposedly work with LL. Nothing has reported anything because no concrete proof has been received. What is DMCA and how is this relevant to someone being able to access to messages and account period even after numerous times of  changing  passwords and paying for security? Any advice would be great. Than you. 

7 answers to this question

DMCA is strictly for copyright infringement.  If you made something and someone stole your content, you'd file a DMCA.

IP Infringement Policy | Linden Lab

People are always saying they 'work for LL'.  People who work for LL are either Moles or Lindens.   If you think someone has accessed your account, you should report THAT too LL.  They may suspend your account, however, while they investigate.

If an LL employee were on their personal, non-LL account, they certainly would not be infringing on anyone's rights nor accessing their IMs.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Greetings!

If you ever think that someone may have accessed your account, please do not file an Abuse Report.  Abuse Reports are generated and put into a Queue where the Governance Team will review the report as quickly as possible, but that can take a day or more depending upon how many pending reports are in the system. 

You should immediately create a Support Ticket using the options Account - Account Compromised. 

Your account will most likely be placed on hold, in effect locking down the account, to ensure that if someone else does have access to your account they will be locked out to prevent any further damage that may happen. 

After the situation has been reviewed, your account will be released back to you.  If your account was compromised, our Security Agents will make every attempt to undo any damage that may have been done. 

• Thanks 6

44 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you think someone has accessed your account, you should report THAT too LL.

Absolutely.  And the way to do that is with an Abuse Report. Include whatever relevant information you have, including any dates, times, and places that might help Linden Lab investigate further.  You will get a routine acknowledgment of your AR but will not hear anything further (except, as Rowan says, that they may temporarily suspend your account while they look for any traces of intrusion). 

• Like 1

Local chat can be accessed by anyone in range, or relayed by a device that is in range. IMs are private and secure (except that LL can read them.)

I have had several people claim that they can read anyone's IMs if they want. I always say, "OK. I'm sending an IM to my alt right now. If you can quote it to me, I'll pay you $L20,000. If you can't, you have to pay me $L200."

Nobody has ever taken my bet.

• Like 1

It is my understanding that you can't share IMs inside SL, because that would be against the SL TOS.  The portion of the TOS in question has nothing to do with the DMCA.  The SL TOS also does not govern what you do on the internet, outside of SL.  That means you can publish chat logs on pastebin, or reddit, or discord, without violating TOS.  Linking somebody to chat logs inside SL is a TOS violation, because that would be sharing logs in SL.  LL has jurisdiction over what you do inside SL, but not what you do outside SL.