Is AI able to create a mesh head texture from pictures of my RL head?

podhead Kidd

I know people have done scans and generated (at least rough starting) 3D models that way, but all I've seen so far of AI doing anything with mesh is a box getting collapsed on upload.

I'm sure someone somewhere is working on it, though. If they haven't got it working already.

I thought most heads - eg AK, Lelutka etc already used these tools. There are loads out there already, just google Face Transfer and Daz3d and there are some fun videos. I'm sure it's not as easy as they make it look but you get the general idea.

On 3/1/2024 at 3:27 AM, Thecla said:

Take a look at https://app.meshy.ai

I definitely recommend meshy.ai too. I’ve tried all notable 3D AI generators and imho meshy.ai is leading the field right now. You can generate a 3d model with a material and use it straight away in a static render.  I still can’t reliably generate low poly topology suitable for real time rendering though, it just doesn't meet my standards, so I have to retopologize, then redo the UV’s which makes the material useless, so I then need to re texture it. It can be faster just to make the model from scratch. Sometimes I take the model and use it as a base in Zbrush to create something different and hopefully better which can be handy. 

I also find it very useful for concept work. I use stable diffusion to generate 2D concepts that I feed into the 3D ai generator. I can create entire 3d scene concepts this way, test what works and what doesn't and present more “finished” concepts. Plus using this little ai pipeline, I am presented with ideas that I would not have come up with myself. It can make my work feel more fresh and exciting and ironically, more original. 

Meshy is a great tool for 3D artists right now, I love it. On the other hand I also hate it because I know it (or some other ai) will eventually replace me and take my job.

Edited by Porky Gorky

On 3/2/2024 at 7:25 PM, Porky Gorky said:

I definitely recommend meshy.ai too

You grabbed the wrong end of the stick.

The OP want's an Artificial Idiocy tool to turn a photo of their RL face into a texture they can use on an EXISTING commercial SL mesh head, either SLUV or Evo-X presumably.

Not "make their own mesh head".

13 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You grabbed the wrong end of the stick.

The OP want's an Artificial Idiocy tool to turn a photo of their RL face into a texture they can use on an EXISTING commercial SL mesh head, either SLUV or Evo-X presumably.

Not "make their own mesh head".

Yeah, in fact I ignored the stick entirely and went off topic because someone said the word “meshy” and it got me all excited in my ai zone which resulted in a spewing of unsolicited ai related propaganda. Please forgive me. 🙂

• Haha 1

I grabbed the wrong end of the stick first, don't give Porky all the credit!

Is there an AI that can take a photo and figure out the proportions and layout of an EvoX head texture? Probably not. And given that you can do it in Photoshop with a template and have far more control, I would opt for that if you want to actually look good.