llWorldPosToHUD()

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, i must be misunderstanding how this will work, as I'm struggling to figure out a use case for it.

So it states...

"Returns a vector position in HUD frame that would place the center of the HUD object directly over world_pos as viewed by the current camera."

So I'm assuming that's an X and Y value it returns. But, what does it mean by "place the center of the HUD object directly over world_pos as viewed by the current camera".

Can someone explain this in simple terms? To me that's saying "places the object on your HUD, in the same position as something else that is found at world_pos, but only from the angle viewed by the current camera"

Which I'm guessing is obviously wrong, and if it isn't, why would i need this?

Can someone run me through this?

8 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

To me that's saying "places the object on your HUD, in the same position as something else that is found at world_pos, but only from the angle viewed by the current camera"

This is exactly right. People have already been using custom functions for this, the new function just frees us from doing the math in LSL (and is much faster as a result).

The most basic use-case is an indicator on your HUD to highlight something you can see in-world. The function is useful for many kinds of interactivity between the HUD and the world.

5 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

This is exactly right. People have already been using custom functions for this, the new function just frees us from doing the math in LSL (and is much faster as a result).

The most basic use-case is an indicator on your HUD to highlight something you can see in-world. The function is useful for many kinds of interactivity between the HUD and the world.

Ahh so I could....

Create a quest for a player to do, and then have a marker on the hud, that hovers over the area you would need to walk to, to find the quest objective?

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis

7 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Ahh so I could....

Create a quest for a player to do, and then have a marker on the hud, that hovers over the area you would need to walk to, to find the quest objective?

That's exactly it, similar to how the little red arrow works after you teleport somewhere.

You'd have to keep updating the marker's position though, which isn't as fast as the viewer's camera, but not terrible either.

A practical example I did quite some years ago, was a "dots hud", that puts a little dot over everyone's head.  You click the dot to do stuff with that avatar as the target (in this case, it was mostly used for the "magic spells" function of the hud — basically just easier than typing their name in a message, or finding them on a list).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bleuhazenfurfle said:

A practical example I did quite some years ago, was a "dots hud", that puts a little dot over everyone's head.

The HUD for Nanite system's main product does this; they call it 'laserline'. Anecdotally, I read they're not putting that feature into their total-overhaul of the system because it takes up too much script resources for a relatively unnecessary feature. Might be interesting to see if they reconsider given this new function.

55 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that click action!

it's fairly new (as of late Sept, 23), and I'm not sure how much press it got. I believe you can also set individual prims in a linkset to ignore, and not just the whole thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anna Salyx said:

it's fairly new (as of late Sept, 23), and I'm not sure how much press it got. I believe you can also set individual prims in a linkset to ignore, and not just the whole thing.

Sadly, the wiki hadn't been updated with PRIM_CLICK_ACTION for https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetPrimitiveParams until I let a Linden know in the last UG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.