Last name pool rotation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently looked into how name changes work in SL.  I see that there is a small selection of last names available to change to, but I also read that it changes periodically.  I found a name I might be interested in that's not available now.  However, when I looked up that last name, I saw that many accounts that use it ranging in age from 2 to 20ish years old.  This implies that the name is regularly cycled into the available choices.

My question is, does anyone know how often the last name choices are rotated or how long it takes names to cycle back around again?  I guess it can't be too long if the only name I dug into appears on accounts both very old and relatively new.  And if this is the case, is there any better way to know when the available last names change other than to check the SL site's name change feature regularly?

5 minutes ago, Judy Hynes said:

I recently looked into how name changes work in SL.  I see that there is a small selection of last names available to change to, but I also read that it changes periodically.  I found a name I might be interested in that's not available now.  However, when I looked up that last name, I saw that many accounts that use it ranging in age from 2 to 20ish years old.  This implies that the name is regularly cycled into the available choices.

My question is, does anyone know how often the last name choices are rotated or how long it takes names to cycle back around again?  I guess it can't be too long if the only name I dug into appears on accounts both very old and relatively new.  And if this is the case, is there any better way to know when the available last names change other than to check the SL site's name change feature regularly?

I don't think the age of the account means much if that name was a recently released name. 20 year old account could have purchased the name this year. Same for 2 year old account. I think some names are never gonna come back. lol.

• Like 2

Sure, I agree with you that there may be some names that will never be available again, but that's not my question.  I found at least one name that has been regularly available as outlined in my original post, so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how often the last names get rotated or how long it takes the same ones come back around again, and if there are any better ways to know when it happens than just checking the website myself.

7 minutes ago, Judy Hynes said:

Sure, I agree with you that there may be some names that will never be available again, but that's not my question.  I found at least one name that has been regularly available as outlined in my original post, so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into how often the last names get rotated or how long it takes the same ones come back around again, and if there are any better ways to know when it happens than just checking the website myself.

The 20 year old.account may have purchased one.of the newer last names.  LL has said repeatedly.that.they will not use last names.that were.previously used before.last names were.removed. 

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000155068-changing-your-username-faq/#Will-you-reuse-any-legacy-surnames-from-before-name-changes-became-available?

Will you reuse any legacy surnames from before name changes became available?

No, all surnames available for name changes will be new. We're not planning to reuse any previously available surnames from the earlier days of Second Life. Sorry! 

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Judy Hynes said:

As said, once used will never return, with the exception of themed names. You can't make conclusions on the age of any account, unless it are long gone real legacy names.
For checking new release, have to follow the accountpage and follow the news that LL posts there... or (won't be more as a day) before the new ones are discussed on the forums.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.