Second Life "Life Hacks"

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

The top 15 of SL activities (maybe a bit in random order)

01. Shopping for bargains, shopping events
02. Avatar customizing
03. SL relationships (and break ups)
04. Complaining about the software, websites, progress of SL, behavior from others, people wearing the wrong body, people using the wrong viewer
05. Drama and self importance
06. Attending parties, (park the avatar on a dance ball and go and read the newspaper in RL or do the dishes or walk the dog)
07. Create things for SL. This happens for the biggest part on software outside Second Life.
08. Spend endless hours on listing your creations, make pictures for that stuff, customer service, Jumping through hoops for L$ 100 extra.
09. Standing around on your platform while AFK.
10. Hanging at beaches while AFK
11. Annoy others at parties with gestures. Wooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!!!!!
12. Getting a job as greeter, manager, DJ, pole dancer.
13. Hang around on these forums all day :)

14. Bellisseria home hopping: Living each week at at least two different spots.
15. Home decoration \ parcel decoration

My personal tweak to a great list would be to move items 14. and 15. to the top.  Maybe that's just me..........  🙂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In Second Life, you may see terrible things. 

- Things that make you question Right from Wrong.

- Things that make you question the nature of Reality.

- Things that make you question "Man's Humanity to Man".

IMG_9067.jpeg.3ec768bea663600a24669a0a0542b6c8.jpeg

Don't worry! None of it is real!

IMG_9052.jpeg.f0e23fc73520e7e59e31626c709f58c1.jpeg

Except, Dear Lion, it IS. ALL. REAL!!  🙀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

The top 15 of SL activities (maybe a bit in random order)

01. Shopping for bargains, shopping events
02. Avatar customizing
04. Complaining about the software, websites, progress of SL, behavior from others, people wearing the wrong body, people using the wrong viewer
06. Attending parties, (park the avatar on a dance ball and go and read the newspaper in RL or do the dishes or walk the dog)
07. Create things for SL. This happens for the biggest part on software outside Second Life.
08. Spend endless hours on listing your creations, make pictures for that stuff, customer service, Jumping through hoops for L$ 100 extra.
09. Standing around on your platform while AFK.
10. Hanging at beaches while AFK
11. Annoy others at parties with gestures. Wooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!!!!!
12. Getting a job as greeter, manager, DJ, pole dancer.
13. Hang around on these forums all day :)

14. Bellisseria home hopping: Living each week at at least two different spots.
15. Home decoration \ parcel decoration

11 and 12 should be 1 and 2 🙂

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

And what number would SLex be on a lion's list?  Asking for a friend.........

I would put "shopping" at the same level, about the end of the list.  Not that I never Shop/Slex, it's just not important to me.

If I were to re-order @Sid Nagy's list to my preference (with duplicates for convenience in showing "equivalencies to me"):

01. Hang around on these forums all day :)

01. Scripting (Missing from Sid's list, no outside software is required unlike Mesh creation or Photo manipulatin)

02. Create things for SL. This happens for the biggest part on software outside Second Life.

02. Standing around on your platform while AFK.
02. Avatar customizing
07. Hanging at beaches while AFK
08. Annoy others at parties with gestures. Wooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!!!!!
09. Getting a job as greeter, manager, DJ, pole dancer.
10. Home decoration \ parcel decoration

11. Spend endless hours on listing your creations, make pictures for that stuff, customer service, Jumping through hoops for L$ 12 extra.
15. Bellisseria home hopping: Living each week at at least two different spots.
15. Shopping for bargains, shopping events
15. "SL Sex" / "Slex"

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Oops, changed "not that I ever" to "not that I never"
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

01. Scripting (Missing from Sid's list, no outside software is required unlike Mesh creation or Photo manipulatin)

For me scripting is creating for SL.

The list I posted isn't my personal list BTW. It is about SL in general.
A lot of things on it aren't even in on my personal list at all.

My personal Top 10:

1. Hanging around on the forums
2. Building attempts, so trying to create for SL  (90% that never makes it to the marketplace)
3. The hassle of listing stuff on the Market Place. 
4. Getting another Belli home (related with number 2)
5. Standing around somewhere without inspiration.
6. Wading through the weekend event listings, without success most weeks.
7. Redecorating my land and sometimes my Belli home.
8. Furniture and home related shopping.
9. Exploring.
10. Customer service.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just noticed I don't see "SL Sex" ("Slex") on the list.  It can't be the same as "03. SL relationships (and break ups)".

A typical mistake for an asexual I guess... not my beer at all.
I guess it will enter that chart in a top 3 position with a bullet for SL in general.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

For me scripting is creating for SL.

The reason I put scripting "separate" is because you put "This happens for the biggest part on software outside Second Life". 

I read too quickly, and read it as "always requires software outside Second Life".

I stand corrected!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

ALWAYS accept teleport requests from strangers, but remember you can always teleport straight out directly afterwards if the stranger has turned out to be a hideous weirdo.

If I  get a TP request from someone I  either don't know or don't know well, I will first do a quick search to see what sort of  place it is. If it's a sex related sim, I'll ignore the request altogether. If it is a private residence I'll politely say no - well,  you wouldn't  go home with a man you had never seen before in RL, would you? Anything else and I'll probably keep the conversation going for a while and try and judge what sort of person I'm talking to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Helen Zenovka said:

If I  get a TP request from someone I  either don't know or don't know well, I will first do a quick search to see what sort of  place it is. If it's a sex related sim, I'll ignore the request altogether. If it is a private residence I'll politely say no - well,  you wouldn't  go home with a man you had never seen before in RL, would you? Anything else and I'll probably keep the conversation going for a while and try and judge what sort of person I'm talking to. 

It makes sense! But...I agree with Marigold...I can't resist a nose around :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Surprised I haven't seen these yet:

You can type /me in front of your message to remove the colon between your name and message and turn it italic. This is called emoting and it's used for roleplay. For example, if I typed /me swims up the river, it would come out as Arwyn Quandry swims up the river. This is good for roleplay, or pretending to do actions you can't actually perform. 

There are numbered invisible channels which use /1 through /99. When you type in them, others can't see what you're writing by default. However, if you're wearing a scripted object which "listens" to that channel, it will hear you and may activate a function. Items which can do this usually have a notecard saying what channel to use and what functions it can perform. 

Every object in SL has permissions, which are Copy, Modify, and Transfer. This is true both of physical items and of textures and notecards. Permissions can be found or set by right clicking an item in your inventory and clicking Properties. You can also see them listed next to the item in your inventory if any permissions are restricted. 

Copy lets you make copies of the item. 

Modify lets you make changes to the item, like changing the name or size. 

Transfer lets you give that item to other people. 

Pay attention to the permissions of the items you're buying because it may change what you can do with it. For example, if you buy a chair that's no copy, you can only put down one and you'll have to buy another if you want more. 

If you're sending a notecard to someone you don't trust, you may want to set it to No Modify, otherwise they could change the contents and pass it off as you saying those things. 

Edited by Arwyn Quandry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

- You may encounter "Furries" in Second Life. These aren't actually animals, but other Second Life users with "animal" avatars!

- You may encounter "Tinies" in Second Life. These aren't actually "little people" or children, but other Second Life users with "Tiny" avatars!

You may encounter "Child Avatars" in Second Life. These aren't actually children or tinies, but other Second Life users with child-like avatars.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

You may encounter "Child Avatars" in Second Life. These aren't actually children or tinies, but other Second Life users with child-like avatars.

You may encounter a "female" avatar who attempts to entice you. Chances are about 50% that the user for this avatar is a male in Real Life.

• Haha 7

- When on other peoples land, they can ban you for whatever the landowner finds an offense worth banning you.
There is nothing you can do about it. Linden Lab will not step into person to person conflicts.

- Lindens will ban you too from their regions when they are annoyed about something.And because some Lindens act like they are Gods, the reason for banning can be very trivial at times. Not all understand, that the customers pay their salary in the end.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

- Lindens will ban you too from their regions when they are annoyed about something.And because some Lindens act like they are Gods, the reason for banning can be very trivial at times. Not all understand, that the customers pay their salary in the end.

- In Second Life, some "clubs" and "parties" have streaming music.

- Not all parties have music streams.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.