latest LL official viewer (PBR) won't let me click objects I don't own

tako Absent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So my official viewer got auto update today and I am really impressed with the graphics. Everything looks so HD maybe because every textures loads crazy fast. But there is a weird thing going on. I can't right click and left click on any object that I don't own. Now I cant open the door of the house I am renting! 😭

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Screenshot2023-09-13054257.thumb.png.9f5ef3f27f759039bcc81a49bb282e15.png

And it's not the "Select Only My Objects" option shown above, somehow accidentally enabled?

(I too am running the Linden PBR viewer, 7.0.0.581684, and don't have this problem, unless I select that option, so if it's happening without that option selected we have a puzzle to solve.)

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, tako Absent said:

So my official viewer got auto update today and I am really impressed with the graphics. Everything looks so HD maybe because every textures loads crazy fast. But there is a weird thing going on. I can't right click and left click on any object that I don't own. Now I cant open the door of the house I am renting! 😭

The PBR viewer is NOT the official viewer – it is a beta viewer and all kinds of issues can emerge on it. Meaning YMMV

The latests official viewer is the 6.6.14 version.

3 hours ago, Gavin Hird said:

The PBR viewer is NOT the official viewer – it is a beta viewer and all kinds of issues can emerge on it. Meaning YMMV

The latests official viewer is the 6.6.14 version.

This is the one I'm currently using:

7.0.0.581684 - GLTF Material Import

Release Notes

PBR GLTF Materials Project

Second Life is excited to take the next step and ship the GLTF PBR Materials viewer as a Release Candidate, offered to a small group of Residents, but as an RC anyone may install it. At this time the Second Life main grid does not support GLTF PBR Materials... yet. Watch this space for updates.

UPDATE: PBR Materials now has limited availability on our Main grid (Agni) as a Beta Project and may be previewed on specific regions:

• Rumpus Room (and Rumpus Room 2, 3, 4 and 5)
  • Preflight0 through 8 (Limited access)

Previously it was, and still is, available as an early Alpha Project on our Beta grid (Aditi) and also only on specific regions:

• Materials1
  • Materials Adult
  • Rumpus Room (and Rumpus Room 2, 3, and 4)

Refer to the “Known Issues” section for more information.

pbr.JPG

7 minutes ago, tako Absent said:

This is the one I'm currently using:

7.0.0.581684 - GLTF Material Import

Release Notes

PBR GLTF Materials Project

Second Life is excited to take the next step and ship the GLTF PBR Materials viewer as a Release Candidate, offered to a small group of Residents, but as an RC anyone may install it. At this time the Second Life main grid does not support GLTF PBR Materials... yet. Watch this space for updates.

UPDATE: PBR Materials now has limited availability on our Main grid (Agni) as a Beta Project and may be previewed on specific regions:

• Rumpus Room (and Rumpus Room 2, 3, 4 and 5)
  • Preflight0 through 8 (Limited access)

Previously it was, and still is, available as an early Alpha Project on our Beta grid (Aditi) and also only on specific regions:

• Materials1
  • Materials Adult
  • Rumpus Room (and Rumpus Room 2, 3, and 4)

Refer to the “Known Issues” section for more information.

pbr.JPG

Yes, and it is beta viewer

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hitomi Magne said:

I had the same situation, but once I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the viewer, I was able to touch objects owned by others.

Mine solved with just toggling off the build>Select Only My Object. Seems like when it is toggled on, it will disable any interaction with non owned object.

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I've felt a need to do a "clean install" of the Linden viewer. It seems to be recommended for Firestorm but to be honest I also generally ignore that recommendation and don't seem to get caught. But given the two instances in this thread,  maybe installing the candidate Linden PBR viewer on top of the Linden standard release might inherit some unrelated setting and misinterpret it as "Select Only My Objects". Or something.

Every few months I enable "Select Only My Objects" to operate on some conglomeration of my content… counting my personal Land Impact on a rental or something. Then I immediately forget I selected that option, only to be baffled by its effects the next time I login and try to do anything. There's nothing obscure or stealthy about the setting but it catches me every damned time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It needs better large inventory support. I wish I were technical enough to file a bug report, but a lot of us just aren't. It now barely loads in time to even stay logged on.  (Firestorm's PBR viewer is worse and you have to log in three times to finally get in). 

People with large inventories typically: 

- Engage significantly in SL

- Make many purchases, which in part help to support LL directly and indirectly

- Are responsible for a great many projects in SL to make it a better place. 

- Have been in SL for a considerable time

It's easy to drag large inventory users or not make them a consideration in development when you don't realize the contribution they make. They are busy bees.  

1 hour ago, mehllama said:

It's easy to drag large inventory users or not make them a consideration in development

It is not the size of the inventory per se that is an issue, it is more often that they have vast folder-fulls of items, which take the SL inventory servers a lot of time to load.  Cutting up such mega-folders into a few (or many) subfolders is proven to improve login performance of even quite large inventories.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.